8-year old starves herself to death

sirsolo

Jan 10, 2009
Youngest fail ever.
What an imaginative/fearful eight year old.. Imagine what would happen when she found out about atmosphere and tap water!

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Gormourn said:
Haha I'm happy that I didn't have all my kiddy teeth removed in one go...

Who the fuck does that anyways? I remember slowly (and mostly by myself) removing the weakened my kiddy teeth and finishing up when I was about 12 or 13 O_O

I'm gonna blame the dentist. And the parents.
Why blame the parents? They took her to the hospital after she wouldn't go to the dentist. The hospital removed the girls teeth then told the parents that the girl could live on watermelon. If they can't believe a doctor, what can they believe?

Kontar

Jan 18, 2008
I had ten or eleven teeth on the top row of my mouth removed all at once (on accident). I had a spacer for a year when I was younger since my mouth was real narrow, so when they removed the spacer (it was glued in) the teeth came with it since they had loosened up enough. It did not traumatize me, but it did piss me off, eating was tough.

The parents should have taken her to a hospital when she stopped eating and drinking, they could have put her on an IV drip until they got it through the kid's head that she needs to eat and her teeth will grow back.

I don't think they'll be able to sue the dentist for mal-practice for nicking her tongue, I'm pretty sure that's something you consent to when you fill out all your paper-work "accidental minor injury" or something. As for the doctors that removed all 8 teeth, that may have been a bit drastic, but are the parents really sure they consented only for 1 tooth to get removed? A lot of those papers they make you sign are long and basically a "wall of text", so it may be possible they miss-read or miss-heard what the doctors said. If they did in fact remove all 8 without consent then they could probably sue the doctors for that.

I think it's a combination of the dentist being careless. The parents possibly not educating their kid well enough to know that losing your teeth that young is natural and they grow back. That not eating will kill you, and not taking their kid to the doctors when she stopped eating/drinking. The kid for being a stubborn brat, and possibly the doctors for doing the wrong thing (but possibly not).

Radelaide said:
The hospital removed the girls teeth then told the parents that the girl could live on watermelon. If they can't believe a doctor, what can they believe?
The hospital didn't tell them that, a psychologist did, why they listened to a psychologist for health advice is beyond me.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
This must be a joke.
How would anyone fail to notice that a child is starving to death?
Did she go to school? If she didn't, where were her friends(parents of them I mean), relatives, neighbors or friends of her parents?
Of course, "that voice that never saw her" was a better source for advice than the people that would be able to notice change.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Jamash said:
Paper-Moon said:
the parents didn't find it necessary to force-feed her when she began to look like she lived in Ethiopia...
What, she turned black?

Or is the term you're looking for, "malnourished"?
Well, I think he means that all Ethiopians are malnourished because of some reason or another, not that they're all black skinned, because that would be silly.

Murrah

Aug 28, 2008
I'm visiting the denstist next week and I'm not scared, all they do is to make you better and make sure you have a shining smile.
I'm sorry but that kind of protest is just sad, im not trying to be unsympathetic, I do feel sorry for her, but if she was alive i'd tell her to snap out of it.

.....I am a nice person though

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
" Heh she's scared of getting her tooth pluck out so lets pluck out all her teeth so she wouldnt have to visit the dentist again! Even though that would probably traumatize her very badly, not allow her to eat properly for a few weeks. She would probably be toothless for quite awhile and we will probably leave a scar on her for the rest of her life " - The doctors.

This is irresponsibility right here and also lack of consent. If these doctors dont lose their MDs at least, i'll be really worried for the UK public

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
It was a complete over-reaction but really a failure on the parent's hands for not explaining that it wasn't such a bad thing and of course seeing it as unneccessary to feed their starving child.
Good job deadbeats

And for the record I hate getting teeth removed but it helps in the long run

Specter_

Dec 24, 2008
They told the hearing they rang the hospital but were told by a nurse not to bring Sophie in as she was now under the care of a community child psychologist, Dr Kerry Davison. Mrs Waller said she understood Davison was in charge of her daughter's physical care.
I say, both parties are to blame.
The parents for a) not trying harder if their allegations are correct and b) for not helping their daughter to fucking get over it and go to a dentist. Nobody likes dentist. My first dentist used to work without anaesthesia and still I go to a dentist (a different one, but anyway)
The hospital for ripping out her remaining teeth and not getting her to a psychologist first.

And how the fuck can anyone in their right mind place a psychologist in the physical care of a person? He fucks with peoples minds, not their body (unless... you know... he fucks them)

omicronpercei

Feb 4, 2009
Radelaide said:
Gormourn said:
Haha I'm happy that I didn't have all my kiddy teeth removed in one go...

Who the fuck does that anyways? I remember slowly (and mostly by myself) removing the weakened my kiddy teeth and finishing up when I was about 12 or 13 O_O

I'm gonna blame the dentist. And the parents.
Why blame the parents? They took her to the hospital after she wouldn't go to the dentist. The hospital removed the girls teeth then told the parents that the girl could live on watermelon. If they can't believe a doctor, what can they believe?
Blame the parents because they did MAKE the girl go to the dentist sooner, which would have eliminated the problem which caused this debacle

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
DraconianKing said:
Am I screwed up for thinking this is really, really funny?
Yep. Utterly screwed up unfortunately.

Tragic case this one, and really the psychiatric people should have been called in before the doctors took all this poor girls teeth out. She was already traumatized, what the hell did they think that would accomplish?!

Seriously, everyone involved should be investigated for incompetance.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
NeoAC said:
I've said before in real life, and I'll say it here too, little kids are too stupid and stubborn for their own dang good.

But seriously, the parents let this go on for way too long, they should have stopped it after day 1 and done what everyone else does; sued the dentist for malpractice. Oh wait, they'll probably do that anyways now.
Possibly should do, but won't. Reason being, they live in the UK, and as a Brit I'm all too aware that people don't bother sueing over here. They just turn up at your house and smash your car in (I used to live in a suburban estate that was literally a stones throw from the roughest place you'll ever see. It was known as the Lost City. True story.). Plus, isn't it Americans who sue everyone for everything?