anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Ururu117 said:
anthony87 said:
Ururu117 said:
anthony87 said:
Ururu117 said:
anthony87 said:
So I'm "speculating" that I think my ways of thinking are better than yours? Could you please try and elaborate on that?
If you can't actually prove your ways of thinking are better than mine, what are you doing but speculating?

I have a quantifiable and testable metric, in a logical framework, for proving my thinking is consistent and relevant. Do you?
No, no I do not.
Q.E.D.
Ooooh Latin....fancy.

I can't help but wonder right now if ALL scientists are this devoid of humanity.
Who said I was devoid of humanity?
I did and I'm sorry but I just can't help but get that impression from a person who can be so calculating about a kid shooting himself.

curty129

Jul 24, 2009
Aardvark said:
Maybe if more 'defective' guns could find their way into circulation, the problem of bad parenting of this magnitude will solve itself before it becomes a problem.
God dang, he's got it. Or teaching the pare.. no, this is way more fun D:

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
George144 said:
Yet the Americans are still so firm about defending their right to bear arms, you never seem to hear about guns saving people just constant tragic accidents and attacks with them.
I own a gun and I'm an American. I only have it so when the zombie apocalypse happens, I'll be able to defend myself :p

cartzo

Apr 16, 2009
wtf was an 15 year old doing being put in such a position of responsibility envolving lethal weaponry, why do so many people have trouble grasping the simple concept that "guns kill people".

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Ururu117 said:
Except we ARE talking about different cultures. This forum is a foreground culture, but the ones we both come from are far different, and therefore sufficiently different that the metric is useless.

And even if I was more egotistical than logical, that wouldn't make me shallow.
No, but it would make you wrong.

An argument is based on its merits, not on who espouses it. Being egotistical isn't grounds for being shallow; it is neither sufficient nor necessary.
Exactly. I'm telling you, due to your egotism you believe the merits of your argument to be far stronger than they are. Therefore your proof "I certify my arguments are logical, therefore they are correct," is not valid. Considering that this proof carries most of the weight of your arguments, alongside statistical claims that people have demonstrated to be almost all incorrect or baseless, you're standing on very unsteady ground.

As for the minority opinion, I've had my supporters, and by my count it isn't exactly "extreme" either.
The fact that you're still here demonstrates that you get a thrill out of feeling like the only intelligent person in the room. Because you believe you are the only person in this thread who isn't wrong. Like I said, you enjoy being 'different', and that's the real reason you're here. Let's face it, it's why I'm here too - I enjoy feeling superior to you - but I have the humility not to mince words.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Ururu117 said:
anthony87 said:
Ururu117 said:
anthony87 said:
Ururu117 said:
anthony87 said:
Ururu117 said:
anthony87 said:
So I'm "speculating" that I think my ways of thinking are better than yours? Could you please try and elaborate on that?
If you can't actually prove your ways of thinking are better than mine, what are you doing but speculating?

I have a quantifiable and testable metric, in a logical framework, for proving my thinking is consistent and relevant. Do you?
No, no I do not.
Q.E.D.
Ooooh Latin....fancy.

I can't help but wonder right now if ALL scientists are this devoid of humanity.
I did and I'm sorry but I just can't help but get that impression from a person who can be so calculating about a kid shooting himself.
Hah. Then you don't really know humanity at all.
Go over and look at Africa or Eastern Europe, and you'll know what I mean.
Um...did you just compare your way of thinking with the horrible things that have gone down in those parts of the world?

Steel Ronin

Apr 14, 2009
Woem said:
The title in itself contains a couple of words that shouldn't be used near eachother. The story behind it is even worse. Read it for yourself: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/10/christopher-biziljs-famil_n_351732.html

My European brain has issues understanding this. So first of all we have a family that thinks it's a good to take an 8 year old kid to a gun show. Then we have 15 year old instructor who is demonstrating an Uzi. This teen clears the Uzi and gives it to the 8 year old to try it out. Apparently up until this part there is no problem at all. I do see a problem with a teen being a gun instructor, or a kid going to a gun show, or a teen giving a gun to a kid to try it out. But again, that must be my European close-mindedness.

Now here is the real issue: the gun jams, and the kid shoots himself in the head. Quote from the article:
The boy's family claims the gun was defective and unreasonably dangerous, and they blame the failure to properly service it.
So the big issue in this whole story is that the gun jammed and as a result of that, the kid shot himself. It's no problem that the kid is at a gun show in the first place, or that a teen is handing out guns to kids, or that the kid is trying out guns. That's all just fine. But because it wasn't cleared properly the Uzi was deemed unreasonably dangerous. So when an Uzi is cleared properly it is reasonably dangerous for a kid to try out? If the kid hadn't shot himself it would have been a successful family trip. This really blows my mind. No pun intended.
Um I don't get it either.But how is it ok for teens to hand out guns to kids and that kids try out guns (that's fucked up).Do you know that the pushback from a revolver can break even a teens skull?And the kid would have probably lost control of the Uzi anyway.What are you from some kind of idiotic sex perverted pussy land (France).

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Sweet Jesus

Thank God I live in Europe, where we carry out our horrible habits in private.

Who the HELL do they think they are, taking a kid to a gunshow? And they say "Games" cause violence. Handing little Timmy-Joe a high-powered rifle surely can't be bad for him, right? He's not going to grow up thinking using rifles for things is a bad thing at all!

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Ururu117 said:
anthony87 said:
Ururu117 said:
anthony87 said:
Ururu117 said:
anthony87 said:
Ururu117 said:
anthony87 said:
Ururu117 said:
anthony87 said:

No, no I do not.
Q.E.D.
Ooooh Latin....fancy.

Hah. Then you don't really know humanity at all.
Go over and look at Africa or Eastern Europe, and you'll know what I mean.
Um...did you just compare your way of thinking with the horrible things that have gone down in those parts of the world?
No, I detracted from your definition of humanity by offering a competing one that is, according to selfish gene theory and basic observation, much closer to the truth.
So what? In short I'm wrong along with anybody else that tries to argue with you?

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Gun shows are for lunatics anyways. No offence, but a public display of weapons specifically designed to rip the life out of people? Srsly?

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Ururu117 said:
I'll give you my address if this is indeed true, so that you can send me my congratulatory Uzi's, which I will indeed teach my children and spouse how to fire.

This isn't sarcasm either. I'll be PM'ing you my address shortly.
It's not sarcasm, just an incredibly silly statement.

When your spouse or child dies from an accident in the learning process, if you shed a single tear for the loss of an individual with such a deep and distinct connection to you - one you know will never be able to be truly replaced - my vindictive laughter will be long and hard.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Ururu117 said:
mechanixis said:
Ururu117 said:
Except we ARE talking about different cultures. This forum is a foreground culture, but the ones we both come from are far different, and therefore sufficiently different that the metric is useless.

And even if I was more egotistical than logical, that wouldn't make me shallow.
No, but it would make you wrong.

An argument is based on its merits, not on who espouses it. Being egotistical isn't grounds for being shallow; it is neither sufficient nor necessary.
Exactly. I'm telling you, due to your egotism you believe the merits of your argument to be far stronger than they are. Therefore your proof "I certify my arguments are logical, therefore they are correct," is not valid. Considering that this proof carries most of the weight of your arguments, alongside statistical claims that people have demonstrated to be almost all incorrect or baseless, you're standing on very unsteady ground.

As for the minority opinion, I've had my supporters, and by my count it isn't exactly "extreme" either.
The fact that you're still here demonstrates that you get a thrill out of feeling like the only intelligent person in the room. Because you believe you are the only person in this thread who isn't wrong. Like I said, you enjoy being 'different', and that's the real reason you're here. Let's face it, it's why I'm here too - I enjoy feeling superior to you - but I have the humility not to mince words.
There is another explanation, one that Occam's razor might ascribe as better, having less assumptions.
How's this for Occam's razor, "not having gun = not dying from self-inflicted gun accidents"

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
Kid with gun. Gives Younger Kid The Gun. Gun has jammed twice already. Was this instructor thick? An 8 year old shouldn't be holding a firearm with live ammunition. (let alone a bloody machine gun!)