Terran Marine Campaigns for City Council in Washington

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Terran Marine Campaigns for City Council in Washington

A local politician and comic-book-store owner in Spokane, Washington, hopes his StarCraft-themed campaign will net him a win.

Meet John Waite. John Waite is a bona-fide nerd who owns a comic book store called Merlyn's [http://www.merlyns.biz/] in Spokane, Washington. In addition to his career as comic book guy, John Waite wants to run for public office as part of the Spokane City Council.

That's nothing out of the ordinary at all, of course. Plenty of local politicians start as members of the community in which they're running - it's why they're particularly invested. What is out of the ordinary is that Mr. Waite is campaigning outside of his store while dressed as a Terran Marine from StarCraft.

It's actually a pretty accurate costume, too - he didn't paint some cardboard blue and slap it on his shoulders and call it a day. No, it seems that John Waite is entirely committed to his StarCraft-themed campaigning. Or on the other hand, maybe he was putting together his BlizzCon costume and thought he'd put it to good use beforehand. Either way, really.

In all seriousness, this picture was snapped on Free Comic Book Day, which meant that Waite probably knew that more people than usual would be visiting Merlyn's. Since the sort of people participating in Free Comic Book Day are more likely than not to be sci-fi fans, this was actually a fairly calculated campaign for the man.

At time of writing, there is no word on whether or not John Waite is in favor of Stimpack legalization and national Zergling Rush defense.

Edit: The actual Terran Marine armor was created by SakuraCon 2011 [http://www.tonymalcolm.com/]. Nifty stuff.

(G4TV [http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2011/05/08/spokane-city-council-candidate-of-the-day/])

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Is the Maquis Party putting forth a candidate? I'm sure they'd get points for taking out Bin Laden.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Finally, a politician who understands the struggles of a space marine. He's got my vote, even though I live in Ohio.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Meh, why not, better than some jesus freak republican screaming about abortion=murder and where is Obama's birth certificate.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I think it's creative and awesome. Shows he's not just phoning it in and maybe actually cares about doing the council job properly.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Awesome costume is awesome.

I agree, it's a clever move to do this on Free Comic Book Day. I say give him a spot on the city council; if he's ready to occupy the spot with just half of the creativity he apparently has, the council won't be poorer for it.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Wow, I hope his campaign has more to it than just a Starcraft costume. I have to think he will turn away a lot of serious voters by resorting to costume gimmickery.

Of course I would have to see the competition before I would vote for him or not.

The Red Spy

Dec 1, 2009
GLHF

I like it, though I don't know how it would be received if he went door to door like that, or attended a public meeting in that gettup.

I wouldn't mind seeing more politicians going out on a limb every once in a while. I mean, hell, it's about time

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
I doubt he would win and I'm pretty sure he knows that too.

I hope he's smart though and this whole thing is actually just a way to get publicity for his store lol

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
This has inspired me. If I ever get around to running for prime minister of Canada, I'll wear a space marine suit while campaining. but probably one from 40k.