Gotham City Impostors Blends Batman, Multiplayer Gunplay

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Gotham City Impostors Blends Batman, Multiplayer Gunplay

Monolith Productions' newly-announced Gotham City Impostors is either incredibly ambitious or designed purely to enrage comic geeks.

With the success of 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum, and the unending geek love for Christopher Nolan's gritty films, it's no surprise that DC Comics' parents company Warner Bros. would want to capitalize on the Batman license as often as possible. What is surprising however, is that they'd enlist Monolith Productions to do so via multiplayer first-person shooter.

Though the game, dubbed Gotham City Impostors, takes place in Bruce Wayne's titular New York City analogue, you don't actually play as the World's Greatest Detective. Instead, you take the role of a random Gotham citizen who has chosen to align his or herself with either Batman or the Joker, and, because comic books are all about thematic aesthetics, dresses accordingly.

A hands-on report from Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5802313/batman-goes-multiplayer-with-gotham-city-impostors] characterizes the experience as "a bit like a Team Fortress game, with fast gameplay and quick matches." It goes on to detail the game's character customization options, saying players will be able to change "everything from the cowl, legs, hands and feet, to the logo and voice options."

If you're wondering how citizens dedicated enough to dress as Batman can justify the use of firearms, despite the Dark Knight having sworn off them in the early part of the twentieth century, you're not alone. I get how the Joker's nutso charisma could inspire a legion of violent followers, but wouldn't putting on a cowl and toting a machine gun around just make you a particularly annoying target for the real Batman to punch in the kidneys?

Is the Batman-themed side of every multiplayer conflict going to be hampered by the fact that their teammates are constantly having their load-bearing joints broken by a costumed billionaire?

You may scoff, thinking my questions the result of simple geek pedantry, but remember, these are comic book nerds we're talking about. People are still openly ridiculing Joel Schumaker for adding tiny rubber nipples to Batman's costume in Batman Forever, and that was 16 years ago.

Though Monolith has revealed plans to release Gotham City Impostors as a downloadable title via XBox Live, PSN and PC, a release date remains unknown. Hopefully that will give the developer enough time to figure out how to explain this whole thing.

dosp5

May 14, 2011
Im curious to know how this goes. It sounds like a interesting concept, but they have to pull if off right.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
So its a multiplayer FPS?

At least the shitty cash-in beat 'em ups kinda make sense in their relation to Batman.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Yeah, go on Warner Bros. Poke the nerds with that stick. Annoy them!!

Nothing can go wrong....

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I swear in the dark night I saw plenty of dressed up batmen with guns out...

Just sayin' guys, nobody complained then.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
If you're wondering how citizens dedicated enough to dress as Batman can justify the use of firearms, despite the Dark Knight having sworn off them in the early part of the twentieth century, you're not alone.
Uhm, just about the same way they do in the movie? I get that Christian Bale telling you to fuck off would scare the living shit out of most sane people, but as far as canon goes, I see no issue here, it's already been done in the movie. Batman isn't sanctioning these people in the game from what I see, they're just being vigilantes.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I'm sorry but this sounds awesome to me.
Hopefully they do DLC teams based on other villeins.

I'm also glad its a download so it probably only cost $10.

Spaceparanoid42

Oct 29, 2010
Team Joker and Team Batman are going at each other as usual, when the real Batman shows up and single-handedly incapacitates and ties up every player on both teams.

Team Batman: "What makes YOU so special?! What's the difference between us and you?!"

Batman: [As he drives away in the Batmobile] "I'm not wearing hockey pads!"

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Uh... so this sounds like TF2 with Batman skins?
Seems weird to have a themed version a regular game.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, as I always say when i hear a new game that could be promising, but could also be a total wreck is being made: hopefully it won't be a total wreck, but something promising.

Yup, that's what I say every time.
But in all seriousness, i hope it isn't just a lame cash-in, but something cool. We'll live and see, folks.

Moonpig123

Dec 24, 2010
Well I'm remaining open-minded. I speak as a massive Bat-fan when I say that this sounds very cool to me, and I look forward to seeing a trailer, or at least some pictures. DLC for Scarecrow/Black Mask/Two-Face gangs would be sweet.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I'm guessing they lifted the idea off The Dark Knight, where Batman had an idealistic cult following that was doing it wrong, with guns and shoddy suits and whatnot.

"I'm not wearing hockey pads!"

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Wasn't Impostors the name of a story arch that recently ran in Detective Comics with a story almost exactly like this?

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
it could work if done right, if every gang had different perks it could be amazing

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
Surely all the Joker's guys are going to end up teamkilling each other so they can have a bigger share of the points?

Nov 12, 2010
Think of it this way with this quote.
"At least i'm not wearing hockey pads"-the dark knight.

<youtube=9Q-0Xk1-jAQ>

Just because the bat doesn't like them doing it does not mean they won't do it.