Fable II on PC: Not Gonna Happen

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fable II on PC: Not Gonna Happen

Lionhead Senior Designer Mike West says PC gamers might as well give up any hope of ever getting Fable II [http://www.amazon.com/Fable-II-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRVAD4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305580756&sr=8-2] because the programmers have already moved on to other things.

The history of Fable on the PC is a strange one. The first game came out on the PC in late 2005, a full year after the original Xbox release, as Fable III [http://www.amazon.com/Fable-Lost-Chapters-PC/dp/B000A76ZNO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1305580756&sr=8-7], is also several months behind the initial Xbox 360 release. But what's really bizarre is the PC version of Fable II, which doesn't actually exist and, according to West, never will.

Why make the first and third parts of a game for a particular platform if you're not going to bother making a middle bit to tie everything together? It's apparently all a matter of timing. "With Fable III the team and time was right to create a PC version. Once the game went to submission the content creators started working on DLC and therefore the coders were free to start on the PC version," he told Beefjack [http://beefjack.com/news/no-plans-for-fable-ii-pc-version-lionhead-working-on-new-projects/]. "Unfortunately for Fable II fans, those same coders are already working on new projects and going back to a Fable II conversion isn't a priority I'm afraid."

I've been told by Fable fans that experience with Fable II isn't really necessary to enjoy the upcoming Fable III so from a practical perspective I suppose it doesn't really matter, but from the "I enjoy Fable and would like to play as much as everyone else" position, it's a bit of a kick in the junk. Props to West for his honesty and forthrightness, but I suspect that PC Fable fans are still going to come away disappointed.

Fable III for the PC comes out tomorrow, May 17.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
As a PC Gamer, I'd be lying if I said I care. Not least because playing Fable II just makes Fable III all the more disappointing.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
Great, reminds me of Microsoft saying they love their PC Community, then you need an XBOX Account to use Games for Windows Live, then they have all these Console Exclusives that could of been sold for console and GFWL..

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
just another reason why Lionhead now suck.... I won't say it's too rude!

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Fable III on PC: Not gonna buy it.

I'm sorry, MS, but you've dug your own grave here, and it gets deeper every day. No demo, no Fable 2 (so we're left with only half the story), it's half a year late (despite promises to the contrary), it's $10 more than the console versions are at this point, it needs GFWL, it's out on the same day as The Witcher 2 (currently with four or five reviews, all 90%+), all it has as far as "special content" goes are vague promises of "extras" and a "hardcore mode," and it wasn't even a superlative game when it came out on consoles last year!

To sum up: You (MS) don't care about us, so I don't care about you.

Jnat

Feb 1, 2010
WARNING: this post might contain opinions:
Fable 2 was good (not nearly as good as Fable, but still good). Fable 3 was horrible.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
How does this qualify as news? Didn't we already kinda figure that out when Fable III happened?

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
What? Ive been waiting 4 years for this game to come out! But seriously who still cares at this point?

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Aww.. for a second i thought Fable 3 was canceled, i'm planning to get it after i beat The Witcher.
I lost hope of seeing Fable 2 on the PC a long time ago so whatever.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Fable 2 sucked, like REALLY bad. Seriously the PC crowd is not missing a thing here. Just stick with Fable:TLC, it's far superior to anything that came afterwards.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
And I give a damn how?

It's like Micro$oft wants this game to fail. They just might get their wish.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I'm not interested in the Fable series but I think it would have been nice for Lionhead to be upfront about this back around Fable II's release instead of months after Fable III hit the shelves.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Microsoft and EA the absolute disease to the gaming industry, they don't see them as games and us not a fans/gamers. They see them as products and us the consumers.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Does anyone care?

Its fucking dreadful. Why those games are given the attention (or reviews) that they are is beyond me, and the fact that Fable 3 is launching tomorrow next to The Witcher 2 brings tears of laughter to my eyes.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well, don't really care at this point. I really enjoyed Fable 1 and I did hope for Fable 2 but by this point, meh. The story isn't really that important (I mean the trilogy story) anyway. I look forward to Fable 3 but I'm not getting it tomorrow. I already pre ordered Witcher 2 and sadly I'm still trying to finish off the last few hours of DA2 and Fallout: NV (so... close...).

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
The only disappointment in this article is the game itself....Sheesh this is a blessing for PC gamers.

Although I did download a good mod for Fable:TLC that let you kill those annoying kids and get Spiderman Tattoos