Lord of the Rings Extended Editions Coming to Theaters

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Lord of the Rings Extended Editions Coming to Theaters

The ultimate Lord of the Rings movie experience is coming next month as the Extended Editions of all three films make a limited-run appearance in theaters across the U.S.

The Lord of the Rings film trilogy [http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Trilogy-Extended/dp/B0026L7H20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305917989&sr=8-1] was awesome and the Extended Edition DVD releases were even more awesome because, well, they were more, adding a full two hours of extra orc-whompin' action to the fun. But the only way to see them flicks is to watch them at home and while the comfort of your own living room is certainly a plus, it just can't recreate the big-screen, big-sound, sticky-floor, making-out-in-the-back-row experience of going to the show.

For some lucky fans in the U.S., however, that will soon no longer be a problem as all three Extended Editions are coming to select theaters in cities across the country in June. Not only will you get to see J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy epic in all its super-extendo glory, but each film will also include a "new and personal introduction" by director Peter Jackson, filmed on the set of his current project, The Hobbit. All told, nearly three hours of additional footage have been added to the trilogy.

The Extended Edition event will take place over three weekends in June, beginning with The Return of the King [http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Return-King-Widescreen/dp/B00005JKZY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1305917989&sr=8-9] on June 28. Each showing will begin at 7 pm local time.

The question you should be asking yourself at this point is, "Will it be coming to my city?" I have no idea, since I don't know where you live, but there is a handy-dandy list of participating theaters you can check out fathomevents.com [http://img.en25.com/Web/NationalCinemedia/EventTheatresReportLOR3.pdf].

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Oh my gosh...12 hours of sitting on my butt? Don't know if I can handle it. As much as I liked the movies, once was enough. Then again, it's a one time thing. Then again, it might not even come to my city...

AGGHH!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Oh, god, I hope they don't run them one after another or we're going to have mass homicides of people dropping dead from the endurance of watching all of them.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
wow, perhapse now I can finaly see what these movies are all about?
never seen any of these films before.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Sometimes I hate living in a small town. I simply cannot afford the gas for an hour and a half drive each way three weeks in a row. Wish it was a wider release.

P.S. Thanks

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Oh yay, nothing for Canada! I'm not driving to michigan to go see them, I love those movies, not that much though.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I... buh... ;~;
Nothing near my city. DAMN
Should have gone last year when they were just showing all three regular films in a row. >.>

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Of course it's playing in Seattle...

I suppose I'll have to go, even though I own the damn things and watch them at least once every couple of months...

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Myself and some friends attended something like this a few years ago, the three extended editions with a half-hour break between movies. It was a fun day, but hell... never again.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Congratulations. This is the first, and probably only time I will EVER wish I lived in the United States for ANY reason.

And it's a helluva reason.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The Extended Edition event will take place over three weekends in June, beginning with The Return of the King [http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Return-King-Widescreen/dp/B00005JKZY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1305917989&sr=8-9] on June 28. Each showing will begin at 7 pm local time.
June 14/21/28 are Tuesdays. Not quite the weekend. Which is weird because a Saturday would make a lot more sense in my humble opinion.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
Um... Why?

Don't we all already have the extendo editions on DVD now? Why should I see these things in theatres again? At least in 1997 Star Wars added some scenes and stuff. People whine about those scenes (because people whine about everything) but it was an attempt to justify things.

Seriously, do I want to pay 8 bucks to see Merry and Pippin waste ten minutes smoking weed in the ruins of Isengard?