Capcom Announces Big Screen Devil May Cry Film

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Capcom Announces Big Screen Devil May Cry Film

Capcom's hoping box office lightning will strike twice because it's officially working on a Devil May Cry movie.

Capcom has a bit of a mixed history when it comes to Hollywood adaptations of its games. Granted, most of them have been box office successes (except for you, <a href=http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=streetfighter09.htm>Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li), but none of them have been what anyone would call a great movie (especially you, <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/movie/street-fighter-the-legend-of-chun-li>Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li). However, Capcom is planning to return to movie theaters with a new IP: Devil May Cry.

The movie is currently being developed by Screen Gems and will be called Devil May Cry, with a storyline based off the new <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/3480-DmC-E3-2011>DmC Devil May Cry (side note: Capcom's title writer deserves a raise for such creativity). No director is attached yet, but the script is being written by Kyle Ward, who wrote the screenplays for Hit Man 2 and the first Kane & Lynch.

This pretty much confirms <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108111-Devil-May-Cry-Movie-to-Bring-Sword-Snark-and-Bullets-to-the-Big-Screen>every rumor that was floating around about the adaptation back in March. What will be interesting to see is if Capcom is able to turn this into another successful movie franchise <a href=http://boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=residentevil.htm>on par with Resident Evil.

Source: Andriasang

Alufear

May 1, 2009
Oh god....damn it! DX Here I got all excited that Big D would get his over-the-top big screen debut, but instead they're using DmC's junkie?

Changing Dante to an emo drug addict? Bad idea. Banking on the success of the game and basing a movie on it? Worse idea.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Meh, I'll reserve judgment for later, and even if the movie is a flop at least I can still watch the anime, and that was pretty damned good.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Oh come on... The first few DmC's had a good enough story for theatres behind them. Voice acting wasn't very good (LIIIIIIGHT!) sometimes but that can be fixed.

Man... this new DmC Dante better not be the worst case scenario that he could turn out to be... I want old Dante back by the time the game/movie gets to the credits.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
HankMan said:
They're going to have a hell of a time finding the right guy to play Dante.
He'll need to be devilishly handsome...

Oh wait, that one doesn't work because it's based off that abomination of a new game.
Nevermind.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
And lo! A great and mighty suckage did rain down from the heavens, and this suckage doth have a name...
And it is Ninja Theory and their incredible douchiness. What hath man done to deserve this unjust punishment?

In all seriousness, this is going to suck ass. The game alone looks awful both aesthetically and gameplay-wise and it doesn't help that NT are the most pretentious developers behind Quantic Dream. And now they're trying to cram it down our throats further with a shitty movie? Whoever thought this was a bad idea deserves to be fired. And Ninja Theory deserves to tank and be revealed for the no-talent hacks that they are

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
so they shoot themselves in the foot by basing it on this new fail DmC. if they gonna make a bad game movie at least make it off of the original

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I would LOVE to see a high quality video game movie. They've made awesome movies from novels and comic books and I think it's our turn. I don't care so much what said movie is based on, but SOMETHING good. With a well done plot instead of just a cheesy action movie.

I think a DMC movie COULD be done well, but I highly doubt it will be. Here's hoping...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Could be interesting, though with the track record of every single video game movie adaptation, for some reason I have doubts....

EDIT: Oh, and here comes the inevitable moaning about the new DmC! What fun! I'm so happy we can judge a game's quality by a CG trailer and 30 seconds of gameplay footage and immediately call it shit, and continue to rag on Ninja Theory because apparently they are now driving the franchise to its doom and the new game must therefore be shit and is an abomination for whatever reason. Just great.

Beertaster

Jan 20, 2011
This movie better be nothing but over the top action and style that the games are so well loved for, or this movie will fall off the 100 foot cliff its leaning over.

Deverfro

Aug 2, 2009
That could work, or they could use DMC3. Both are origin stories. The only thing I would say is that I hope its the original design in the movie Medium long white hair, red trench coat etc.

Still, if its as good(ish) as the resident evil ones it could be a decent new movie franchise.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Wait, hasn't this been in production or at least planned for something like 8 years?
I remember hearing about this around the time DMC2 came out >.>

LemonFury

Jun 8, 2011
Does anyone seriously think this will be any good at all? I mean i haven't seen a single good movie based on a game.(Max Payne lol) At least they can easily find an actor for the *new Dante*. Just beat Marky Mark with a pipe for 2 hours and remove all his musceles he got from The Fighter.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Jumplion said:
Oh, and here comes the inevitable moaning about the new DmC! What fun! I'm so happy we can judge a game's quality by a CG trailer and 30 seconds of gameplay footage and immediately call it shit, and continue to rag on Ninja Theory because apparently they are now driving the franchise to its doom and the new game must therefore be shit and is an abomination for whatever reason. Just great.
That's because it is :)
It could be a masterpiece of a game, but it won't be a Devil May Cry game; it'll be a DmC game (seriously wtf is up with the uncapitalised 'M'? )

This is now my default response to the reboot,

Skip to 0:35 if you're lazy.