Porting From PC to Console Is Doing Things Backwards, Says Rage Dev

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Porting From PC to Console Is Doing Things Backwards, Says Rage Dev

As most of Rage's [http://www.amazon.com/Rage-Xbox-360/dp/B00354NAYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308059144&sr=8-1] sales will be on consoles, the game is being made for consoles first and foremost.

id Software co-owner and CEO Todd Hollenshead says that developing a game for the PC and then porting it over to consoles is the wrong way to make a multiplatform title. He says that id - which made its name as a PC developer - used to start with the PC version, but had since learned that starting with the consoles was actually a much better idea.

For id's upcoming game Rage, Hollenshead said that the focus was on getting the controls right with a controller. Once it had cracked that, he explained, id had moved on to the keyboard and mouse controls. The reason behind this is pretty simple: Hollenshead expects the majority of Rage sales - anywhere from two thirds to three quarters - to be on consoles, so the PS3 and Xbox 360 had taken priority. "We had the discussions early on with Rage about what platforms we were going to go on," he said. "Two-thirds of our sales are going to be on console, we're going to make sure we have that gameplay feel tight first."

"In game development, you have to tailor your gameplay to where you expect people to play it on," he added. "So, while we're developing Rage on the PC, we forbid anybody from playing it on a keyboard and mouse until we've played it first on a console controller. We pull the keyboard and mouse out and put in a USB 360 controller, even on the development staff. That's not just the testers."

This isn't the first time that id has made it clear what the priorities were for Rage: Nearly two years ago id's John Carmack said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93374-Carmack-Rage-is-Designed-for-Consoles] that the game was meant for consoles, and a year before that he said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85541-id-Software-Moves-To-Consoles] that PCs were not id's main platform anymore. It's not hard to see why id's focus has shifted away from PCs and towards consoles - developers and publishers aren't charities, and there's a lot more console gamers buying games than PC gamers - but that doesn't mean it doesn't sting to hear it.

Rage comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on October 4th.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-13-rage-two-thirds-sales-to-be-on-console]

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
I thought he said the opposite?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/e3-2011-carmack-pcs-an-order-of-magnitude-more-powerful-than-consoles/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/e3-2011-why-rage-will-run-better-on-pc/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/e3-2011-our-john-carmack-interview-covers-rage-the-pc-and-gamma-corrected-anti-aliasing/

"?Now that we?re looking on PCs that have ten times the horsepower of the consoles I?m making a large change in my direction? he says. ?we should be focusing on building things efficiently on the PC and deploying on the consoles.?"

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
I'm a PC-only gamer and all I can say is I respect the priorities he has and sticks to them.

At least PC gamers have a fair warning about how it's going to be and can then make educated purchases and how to expect the finished product.

Feb 13, 2008
If you want to reduce the input, graphics and options - I guess it makes sense to work on the easy version first.

Then you can just do a half-hearted job on your port, still get some sales and keep your profits.

Funny, didn't Quake 4 bomb almost as badly as Dai-Katana?

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Selvec said:
Baneat said:
Just don't blame pirates when no PC player buys a console port
I can tell you right now I won't be purchasing it, yet have plans to play it.

id wants to play the backstabber game, well they can live by that path. Battlefield 3 is proof enough of just how much shit they are full of.
Given the rules of the site that's on a knife's edge

MadX

Mar 29, 2011
Selvec said:
Baneat said:
Just don't blame pirates when no PC player buys a console port
I can tell you right now I won't be purchasing it, yet have plans to play it.

id wants to play the backstabber game, well they can live by that path. Battlefield 3 is proof enough of just how much shit they are full of.
playing round a friends eh? ;)

Stickey Jackson

Apr 20, 2010
I too am glad that they are coming out and saying it. I've already come to accept the fact that a large percent of the triple A market are going to be console ports. However, that's not an excuse for low game quality. If the game doesn't run well on decent hardware or has bugs that are absent from the other versions, then I'll gladly protest with my wallet. They can call PC gamers pirates all they want, but if developers think they can just turn a profit with a pile of shit with sprinkles they can screw themselves.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
I understand and respect that consoles heavily outweigh myself and other PC gamers when it comes to buying power, but (and this might be a little selfish), I can think of a good reason why porting from console to PC is a bad idea: It won't take advantage of what the PC has to offer.

While there have been a couple exceptions (Chronicles of Riddick being a good example), most of the console -> PC ports I've seen have a noticably different feel than a straight PC-developed title. For example, Mass Effect 2 has the spacebar do about five different functions, rather than allowing us to map all those functions to separate keys. Nothing gamebreaking, but frustrating nonetheless. What -is- aggravating is how low resolution the textures can be in the game, especially on characters. It looks fine on an HDTV, but it looks cringe-worthy on a PC.

If you develop a game for the console with plans to port it to PC later, what business incentive is there to optimize the port with better visuals and customizable controls to take advantage of modern PC's? I can't think of any, as most of your sales will be on console anyway. And that's my problem. If you're going to do multiplatform development, tailor the game to each platform and utilize each platform's strengths.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Well whatever is good on console, is even better on PC.

I suppose it is fair, as it's all too possible to make a game on PC that is impossible to effectively port to console. Like left 4 Dead, but Valve is making gangbusters on PC.

I just hope they make proper use of the scroll-wheel and the other tiny concessions needed to make it proper to control on PC.

(PS: I hope they have REAL gamepad support for PC version as if it is best played with a gamepads it should have console-identical aim assist and fully re-mappable buttons and adjustable functions)

I'm not completely opposed to game-pad controls but dammit let me control the frame-rate, graphics and resolution!