Pottermore Means Gamey Website, Not More Potter

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Pottermore Means Gamey Website, Not More Potter

J.K. Rowling announced plans for an interactive website and Harry Potter ebooks, but no new novels.

The Escapist reported on Pottermore.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111097-JK-Rowling-Teases-a-Major-Potter-Announcement] right now just asks for your email, but promises to eventually be a way to engage with the novels on a different level than merely reading them. Kids will be able to have their house chosen for them by the Sorting Hat, or visit Diagon Alley to go wand-shopping, and Rowling said that more than 18,000 words of new material such as character backgrounds are a part of Pottermore.com.

"I wanted to pull it back to the reading, to the literary and story experience," said Rowling, who oversaw the whole process over the last two years. "I've had a lot to do with virtually every aspect of it."

When the site launches on July 31st (Harry's birthday), the first million registered will participate in a beta test to fine tune the experience before Pottermore opens to the unlimited public in October. At first, the material will only cover the first novel, but content from the Chamber of Secrets will go live in 2012.

The plan is part of Rowling's efforts to make her books appeal to the next generation of potential Potter fans, which is another reason for her to offer the electronic versions of her books, also starting in October. So far, Rowling resisted the idea of ebooks, but she admits that it is impossible to stand in the way of what she calls progress.

"It is my view you can't hold back progress," Rowling said. "Ebooks are here and here to stay. Later than a lot of people, I for the first time downloaded ebooks and it's miraculous for travel and for children in particular. I feel great about taking Harry into this new medium."

Unfortunately for Potter fans, Rowling emphatically stated that she will not write any more novels set at Hogwarts. "I have no plans to write another novel. I'm pretty sure I'm done on the novel front," she said. "But it was fun while it lasted."

"I do have closure with Harry." Yes, she does, and after the final film premieres next month, I suppose I will too.

That is, until my daughter is of reading age.

Source: Reuters [http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/23/us-publishing-harrypotter-ebooks-idUSTRE75M1ZN20110623]

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Good call Mr. Funk, good call indeed.

OT: Too bad it's nothing amazingly new but I guess some more background titbits will keep hardcore fans busy for a couple of days.
I heard excel is rather tricky to master.

Feb 13, 2008
Looks like Harry is duelling with a lightsabre there.

Funny how King, Brown, Patterson and Caine keep writing novels because they enjoy writing them though; while Meyer/Rowling seem happy after they made a big pile of money.

MeleeMittens123

Jan 14, 2011
I am so glad that it was not an announcement for more books. I really believe a lot of things in the industry are looking to sell, sell, sell more of the same object in its same medium. I'm happy to say I am quite proud and fond of J.K. Rowling over Pottermore.

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
Not sure how I feel about this. I love this series, and was sort of hoping for a new book or something, but it will be interesting to see how this turns out...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I'm sure that the HP fans can come-up with another novel without too much trouble.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
MeleeMittens123 said:
I am so glad that it was not an announcement for more books. I really believe a lot of things in the industry are looking to sell, sell, sell more of the same object in its same medium. I'm happy to say I am quite proud and fond of J.K. Rowling over Pottermore.
I second that. It'd be so easy to keep going and drag Potter into the dust...like about half of every other franchise around.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Voldemort: Join me, Harry.

Harry: No!

Voldemort: Dumbledore never told you what became of your father.

Harry: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!

Voldemort: No Harry. I a- hold on, no, that's right, I did, didn't I? Haha, I remember now, good times.

Schmittler

Aug 4, 2010
Thank God. I was disappointed when I heard rumors that she was talking about continuing the Harry Potter story. Good thing Rowling is smart enough to realize not to screw up a good ending.

The site sounds fine. I see nothing wrong with trying to encourage new readers to experience the novels.

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
I'm actually glad that she's not going to do more with it, we've seen what happens when people get just a little too caught up in their creations and start making absolute garbage (That's right, George Lucas, you have been called out!). On the other side of the coin, it does seem wrong to tease the fanbase with a title that makes them almost certain there will be more novels...

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
Let me say this very bluntly: There is another book being written, and if it isn't being written, it will be very soon.

Scholastic and Warner bros. won't see their dollar signs disappear so easily.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I guessed it wouldent be a book. CAlling a new book "Pottermore" would be like calling a new LoTr book "Aditionalfrodo"

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
Favorite part of the announcement is that the books are finally coming to ebook. I have all the books in hardcover, but because of my living situation right now, all of them are in storage and ive been dieing to re-read them. Ive got an ereader with a lot of my favorite series on it so far, and it will be great to add HP to the list.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009

Funny how King, Brown, Patterson and Caine keep writing novels because they enjoy writing them though; while Meyer/Rowling seem happy after they made a big pile of money.
Rowling is continuing to write novels, just not Harry Potter novels as she's said previously that she thinks she's told that story. Personally, I'm glad she isn't continuing to write more Potter books just for the sake of money.

Feb 13, 2008
Disaster Button said:

Rowling is continuing to write novels, just not Harry Potter novels as she's said previously that she thinks she's told that story. Personally, I'm glad she isn't continuing to write more Potter books just for the sake of money.
"I have no plans to write another novel. I'm pretty sure I'm done on the novel front,"
See, I don't know how to take this. Because Beedle the Bard (or whatever) flopped badly, and it doesn't sound like she just means Harry Potter.

Curiouser and curiouser.

UFriday

Nov 9, 2009
MadCapMunchkin said:
I'm actually glad that she's not going to do more with it, we've seen what happens when people get just a little too caught up in their creations and start making absolute garbage (That's right, George Lucas, you have been called out!). On the other side of the coin, it does seem wrong to tease the fanbase with a title that makes them almost certain there will be more novels...
Listen, you know that 'Rejoice' character you have as a profile pic? Where is he from, I keep seeing him everywhere!
The Cheezy One said:
Voldemort: Join me, Harry.

Harry: No!

Voldemort: Dumbledore never told you what became of your father.

Harry: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!

Voldemort: No Harry. I a- hold on, no, that's right, I did, didn't I? Haha, I remember now, good times.
(Slow clap) Beautiful. Truly beautiful.

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
UFriday said:
Listen, you know that 'Rejoice' character you have as a profile pic? Where is he from, I keep seeing him everywhere!That'd be Richard from the webcomic "Looking For Group".

Enjoy [http://www.lfgcomic.com]

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Disaster Button said:

"I have no plans to write another novel. I'm pretty sure I'm done on the novel front,"
See, I don't know how to take this. Because Beedle the Bard (or whatever) flopped badly, and it doesn't sound like she just means Harry Potter.

Curiouser and curiouser.
There's quotes and information from interviews regarding her post-Harry writing on her Wiki page explaining that she's in the process of writing a new book for children.

There's these articles too.

http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/JKs-writing-two-books-but.3310739.jp
http://web.archive.org/web/20071020041803/http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/movies/news/n13576.htm

UFriday

Nov 9, 2009
MadCapMunchkin said:
UFriday said:
Listen, you know that 'Rejoice' character you have as a profile pic? Where is he from, I keep seeing him everywhere!That'd be Richard from the webcomic "Looking For Group".

Thank you kindly, sir. Have a nice day.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
MadCapMunchkin said:
UFriday said:

FOR PONY or should I say FOR POTTERMORE?