Nintendo Doesn't Care About "Winning Online"

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Nintendo Doesn't Care About "Winning Online"

Will the Wii U's online experience be better than Nintendo's current systems? Yes. But Miyamoto is warning fans not to expect something as good as Xbox Live.

Over the past years, Nintendo consoles have become notorious for having an incredibly underwhelming online play experience. As a result, a lot of questions have been raised about the online capabilities of the upcoming Wii U, which Nintendo has kept mum on. However, Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed a couple of (very vague) details about its online capabilities.

Speaking to MTV, Miyamoto was quick to explain that Nintendo doesn't consider itself in competition with companies like Sony or Microsoft when it comes to delivering an online play experience:

"We're not going to sit here and say that our goal is to become the number one online gaming company, because that's not our goal.

"But, understanding that the types of experiences our consumers like to play do often contain elements to them that can be improved or may even require an online connection and also knowing that the system is going to have a browser I think suggests that obviously internet and internet connectivity is going to be very important for the system."

Miyamoto also said that "local, same-room multiplayer" might be expanded to work via an internet connection, meaning that split-screen play could be included when playing online. He also said that there was a possibility that the Wii U's online experience would allow players to see what games their friends are playing (as well as what TV shows/movies they happen to be watching).

Source: MTV via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-23-miyamoto-winning-online-not-our-goal>Eurogamer

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Can I still make a Charlie Sheen joke?

Eh, I'll pass

OT: Good to know they know what they are getting into. I hope it is better then the Wii

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I guess that's their loss. They are the ones who can't seem to catch up with the times. They might sell a lot, but that seems to be about all they can say.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I dont mind this thinking, just sometimes he sounds more defeated than non-competitive.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I thought with the fact that you can only use one of those controllers per console (this is according to what I heard on the latest rvb podcast) that online would be a feature their trying to reach out and expand into.

Then again, i've never understood Nintendo and don't like their games. Yeah I said it, I don't rate Zelda as highly as everyone else does. Please don't kill me.

Uncle_Brainhorn

Dec 18, 2009
Aside from the annoying gimmicks, this is a big reason I'll never buy a Wii. Or potentially another Nintendo product.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Hmmm. Better on-system online than the wii? They needed to do that.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
vansau said:
(as well as what TV shows/movies they happen to be watching).
Luckily for them, they only have to persuade Netflix to do this, since the console does not run DVDs. Now we know why they made that great decision.

OT: Split-screen play? But... one WiiU controller per console... isn't it? Won't the different controllers create the massive lack of balance in online games?

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Looks like it's time to whip out the Friend Codes again...

Seriously, though, Nintendo's systems are currently the only mainstream modern gaming systems (including the iPhone) that don't support patching for their games.

Doesn't the ability to update a game seem mildly important to them? Imagine how much better Super Smash Bros. games would be if Nintendo could view game data and release a few balancing updates now and then.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Im going to put my opinion like this

NINTENDO DOESN'T CARE ABOUT CHANGE
THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT PLAYERS LIKE NOW.
THEY "MADE" THE RULES AND THEY STICK TO THEM
NO GOOD ONLINE
NO ACHIEVEMENTS
NO F2P.

That is all.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Saelune said:
I dont mind this thinking, just sometimes he sounds more defeated than non-competitive.
I've thought the same thing for a few years now. I think the reason they're not competing is because they think they've already lost... everywhere but the handheld market, that is.

NinjaTigerXIII

Apr 21, 2010
If you don't intend on at least challenging X-box live then why make a new system at all? No one with a brain would ever want to buy your system if they can get a better experience with an x-box, shape the hell up Nintendo.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
You know, this actually makes sense. Nintendo has built their brand around local multiplayer, and it makes sense to sell that point more potently instead of trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft for the online market, especially since Nintendo is such a smaller company.

Now, if only they would only decide that selling extra tablet controllers was a good idea... (Seriously, do they not see why the new controller they've created is such a great thing?)