Nintendo Doesn't Care About "Winning Online"

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
Timbydude said:
Looks like it's time to whip out the Friend Codes again...

Seriously, though, Nintendo's systems are currently the only mainstream modern gaming systems (including the iPhone) that don't support patching for their games.

Doesn't the ability to update a game seem mildly important to them? Imagine how much better Super Smash Bros. games would be if Nintendo could view game data and release a few balancing updates now and then.
I think they will be able to patch games as on my 3ds dead or alive dimensions has recieved several patches to solve freezing issues. So I think they will have patching, and probably more online play, their just not going to have as many bells and whistles.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Virtual Boy. That is all.
1 stain on an otherwise great track record. When I read that the 3DS would have a poorer battery life than the rest of it's handhelds I was stunned, for the most part the design behind it is very un-Nintendo to me.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Timbydude said:
Doesn't the ability to update a game seem mildly important to them? Imagine how much better Super Smash Bros. games would be if Nintendo could view game data and release a few balancing updates now and then.
It would earthshakingly-brilliant, that's what it would be.

Smash Bros. has been begging for this kind of functionality.

I can't say I support Nintendo in this particular decision.

Please tell me they're at least getting rid of that horrible friend code system.
Really.

Just a lobby, Nintendo, that's all I ask. All I need is a lobby to join games and maybe a friendlist. No more code crap, please.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
On one hand: Nintendo is being realistic. PSN didn't start off that well. It had to improve over time. XBL also has improved over time. So one new onlince service vs. two that had time to refine and polish to where they are now? This isn't selling themselves short. This is being realistic. But lo and behold, the Escapist is taking this chance to go "LOL SEE? THIS IS PROOF THAT IT SUCKS AND NINTENDO DOESN'T CARE ABOUT HARDCORE GAMERS GIMMICK GIMMICK GIMMICK."

Also:
Professor James said:
Please tell me they're at least getting rid of that horrible friend code system.
They are.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
I've already been ninja'd about this, but Why The Fuck Would I Want To Have Split-screen online. The reason I play online is to get away from the constraints of split-screen fucking up my perception of the environment I'm fighting in. When I played Halo: Reach with my brother several weeks ago in an attempt to beat Long Night of Solace LASO, I was constantly feeling that I could fight better if I had the whole screen to use. My friends were unwilling to take up the challenge with me, so I had to deal with those demonic ultras in split-screen. :(
And yes, I was eventually successful.

UPDATE:
Unhappy Crow said:
Some people here are ignorant. It's like half of us forgot what it was like before online play. Way back in the 1900s.
I remember that time, and I didn't like it. I used to live next to a cemetery, which meant that there was absolutely fucking nobody my age to socialize with. I love online capabilities because it gives me the ability to actually meet a nice group of friends.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This may be the worst news. You don't have to be blind to realise that the online part is what makes so many games break out nowadays (Halo, Gears, CoD, Borderlands...)

Hopefully it means they'll at least try something, I guess it doesn't have to be Live good, just PSN good (providing they don't charge. And more secure)

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Geez, Miyamoto-san must be stuck in 1998 or something.

"We know online connectivity is important to some people, so we're including... AN INTERNET BROWSER."

OOOOOOOOOOooooooh, thanks for that, Nintendo!

Winterfel

Feb 9, 2011
Ps2, GC and Xbox. That gen wasn't horrible, right?
Exactly, so stop using the strangest arguments I've ever seen against this...

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I think this is a good thing. I'd like to see at least ONE of the Big Three consoles focus more on local multiplayer than on anonymous matches online.

Besides, it looks like the multiplayer might be pretty decent anyway, since they're ditching that godawful friend code system.