Peter Molyneux Is "Ashamed" Of Fable III's Scores

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Peter Molyneux Is "Ashamed" Of Fable III's Scores

Peter Molyneux isn't happy about the scores that Lionhead's latest game didn't get perfect reviews, but he also admits that he understands the comments.

Most game developers would be pleased as punch if their latest videogame received an average score in the low 80s. Not Peter Molyneux, though. The man in charge of of Lionhead Studios was "pretty ashamed" of how <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Fable-III-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JGDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309203402&sr=8-1>Fable III fared with critics, primarily because he believes they were right in their evaluations.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Molyneux explained that the game was still one he was proud of, and that it will probably "net out" with close to 5 million units sold, but that it didn't match up to the dream that the developers had for it:

"It didn't end up being the game that I dreamed it would be, because I thought the mechanic of the ruling section were really good ideas. I thought they were good ideas, but we just didn't have time to exploit those ideas fully.

"I've been here before, and it just means that you've got to make whatever you do next twice as good. You're going to make the process and the planning process much, much better because, in the end, that's where you really suffer.

"...when I read in the middle of a review that said the quality just wasn't good enough, I actually agree with those reviews."

From the sound of things, though, Lionhead is taking the lesson of Fable III and learning from it. Part of the lesson involves taking a "very different" approach to game development. Still, if Fable III is the studio's least-impressive game, then that's pretty good: Susan Arendt gave the game four out of five stars in <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8249-Review-Fable-3>The Escapist's review.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-27-molyneux-ashamed-of-fable-iii-scores>Eurogamer

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Mr Molyneux, you are one strange little man.

And yet, I can't help but like the guy.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Peter is never one to set realistic goals for his work.

Really, we stopped being surprised about this years ago.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
I actually am really enjoying playing through Fable 3 right now. The story has me interested, the voice acting is fantastic. I haven't seen much in terms of moral choices which is what the Fable games usually revolve around. The new mechanics are simple, but also satisfying. Nothing like flaming lightning bots shooting in all directions.

Fable TLC was my favourite. Fable 2 was charming but didn't match the novelty the first had. Fable 3 I am really likeing, on par probably with the 1st. If they are making another and improve it further I'd be very happy :3

ArchBlade

Pointy Object Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2008
He does do this alot, doesn't he?

Hm. Well, honestly, hopefully it'll drive him to keep increasing the quality of his work. Now, if he could stop going overboard with the promises he makes...

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Claearly they are taking a VERY different approach to making games, if the Fable I saw at E3 was any indication, they may just want to start from scratch on that, I have no interest in driving a horse across Albion.

brunt32

Aug 24, 2008
Every time I've met Peter. What is quite a lot in all fairness. He always seems to be quite sincere and greatly concerned about his games and he does treat them as HIS games. You can see the personal connections he has with the game he creates.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
It's hard not to like the guy, but there comes a point where you think "have you not realised this is how it goes every time, Peter?" He needs a partner who can pick holes in his ideas before they get implemented, a balancing, cynical influence. He and Yahtzee should be roommates. And possibly fight crime.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Fappy said:
Peter is never satisfied with his work.
That can be a good thing and a bad thing I suppose. I do agree with him though, the ruling mechanic was different and a bit more fun (Mostly for the fun arguments), but I was sad to realize it wasn't all that long.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I guess it's good to strive to be better?

better than be happy with mediocrity I suppose (not that low 80s is mediocre, but hey)

HooterNanny

May 19, 2010
Well, on the surface at least, that seems like a good thing. If you can recognize the flaws in your game, it makes them a lot easier to fix.

On a side note, I swear Peter says he needs to take a "very different" apprach to all the Fable games. I'm convinced it will be a side scrolling platformer by the time we get to number 5.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
He's said this (roughly) with every one of the Fable games. "Such and such wasn't as good as we want. We'll do better next time." The reality, though, has been a steady decline in the franchise. Fable 1 was a relatively shallow game with some good ideas, poorly executed. F2 was a lot of poorly executed ideas (good, bad, and average), and an abysmal narrative. F3 was about as poorly done as you can get (absolutely horrible UI, ineffectual Melee, overpowered Magic, etc.).

So when Peter says things like this, I fail to care one whit. He will not learn and Fable 4 will not be worth my time.