[9/11] A short message to my cousins across the pond.

Arbi Trax

Jul 13, 2011
I'm not sure why I'm moved to write anything really. I'm certainly no orator, and apart from a brief stay in LAX enroute to the Southern Hemisphere I've never even set foot on American soil. To a British outsider it can often look like a frightening, garish place - full of noise and neon, empty pomp and charmless excess.

However, it is hard not to admire the sheer bloody-minded passion with which you conduct anything, or the conviction with which you carry out your actions. In short, you say what you mean (and may God help anyone who doesn't agree!). You are ruthless, ambitious, industrious and tough - and while those qualities aren't always the best tools for the job, it allowed you to turn 4 million square miles of dust and Turkeys into a glittering monument to Western culture.

You're equal parts brave and belligerent, rude and reverent, repulsive and captivating. You are a United Republic of contrasts and conflicts, that is sometimes incredible, sometimes horrifying, but always moving forward and meeting its challenges head on.

Anyway, enough of my mawkish ramblings. I know there are loads of reasons why this event shouldn't be a big deal, why time has moved on and the world is still turning. But for one moment, if anyone feels one slight bit of comfort from this message, then it's worth all the bile and cynicism it'll generate.

I was always taught to stick by your mates. So to my mates in the USA, I want to offer this little gesture of solidarity on 9/11. And I invite anyone who feels the same way to do so too.

*raises his mug of tea*

Cheers,

From a British person.

Tl:Dr - If anyone's feeling down about 9/11, know that there's at least one person thinking of you. Cheers.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Right behind you. Sadly, despite how some treat this day, it is not a opportunity to get up on your soapbox and tell people what you think of America's actions, shaking a fist and madly waving a finger at the stars and stripes. Because whatever you think, those people working in that tower weren't America. They weren't the government. They were just normal citizens trying to earn their daily bread. They deserve every ounce of compassion that even the most (supposedly) cynical of us can muster. God bless.

Dec 14, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
Right behind you. Sadly, despite how some treat this day, it is not a opportunity to get up on your soapbox and tell people what you think of America's actions, shaking a fist and madly waving a finger at the stars and stripes. Because whatever you think, those people working in that tower weren't America. They weren't the government. They were just normal citizens trying to earn their daily bread. They deserve every ounce of compassion that even the most (supposedly) cynical of us can muster. God bless.
I second this.

Robin Hood sends his regards.

Derek_the_Dodo

Sep 28, 2010
TheDarkEricDraven said:
Derek_the_Dodo said:
Well said buddy.

Hope that the city of New York gets through today without incident
Do you have to say that? Is it in danger everyday? I mean, what are the chances of another disaster happening on the day?
There has been speculation that there may be another attack which is why they have stepped up security in the city for a few days.

I'm just hoping it's just speculation.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Thanks OP! That means alot.

I was getting so caught up in being annoyed by the fanfare here that I kinda forgot what our fellow cousins over there thought.

Cheers!

CharlesBronson

Jun 12, 2010
A truly insightful, honest, and fair depiction of my country. I was really moved not as much by your condolences as the way you offered them with great respect while still pulling no punches. Pobody is nerfect, and thank you for accepting that.

Like you said, the world will still turn, we can not make a huge deal about it forever, but I think you have perfectly grasped the kind of sentiments that should be expressed this day and age.

Thank you

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
TheDarkEricDraven said:
Derek_the_Dodo said:
There has been speculation that there may be another attack which is why they have stepped up security in the city for a few days.

Serioulsy? The eleventh is already sad, if another attack happens, we're going to have to cut it out of the calendar.
I really hope they don't attack because it will make the commute to school a ***** from now on -.- Every 9/11 they want to hold fucking dumbass speeches and shit which makes the commute difficult and means I have to wake up even earlier. Not to mention that retarded monument they built looks like a pool but nobody can swim in it. Jesus.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
TheDarkEricDraven said:
Derek_the_Dodo said:
Well said buddy.

Hope that the city of New York gets through today without incident
Do you have to say that? Is it in danger everyday? I mean, what are the chances of another disaster happening on the day?
After Osama's death, a few terrorist groups made it clear that they were planning on another attack during the 11th of September.

OT: Appreciated bud. While I don't think us Americans have been doing great things over the past few years, it's nice to hear someone who isn't stereotyping all of us for the worst.

Appreciated. I've always loved the old UK.

Derek_the_Dodo

Sep 28, 2010
TheDarkEricDraven said:
Derek_the_Dodo said:

Serioulsy? The eleventh is already sad, if another attack happens, we're going to have to cut it out of the calendar.
I wouldn't worry too much. They've beefed up the security and its very much speculative. I heard it on the news on the tv, but a here's a link to a web news source. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-09/-credible-terrorist-threats-received-new-york-mayor-bloomberg-says.html

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
FernandoV said:
I really hope they don't attack because it will make the commute to school a ***** from now on -.- Every 9/11 they want to hold fucking dumbass speeches and shit which makes the commute difficult and means I have to wake up even earlier.
One of the things I love about human nature: No matter the gravity of a situation, if it inconveniences someone they will resent it.

This particular event never hit me as it did the urbanites. As such, I just see it as another day.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
DeadlyYellow said:
FernandoV said:
I really hope they don't attack because it will make the commute to school a ***** from now on -.- Every 9/11 they want to hold fucking dumbass speeches and shit which makes the commute difficult and means I have to wake up even earlier.
One of the things I love about human nature: No matter the gravity of a situation, if it inconveniences someone they will resent it.

This particular event never hit me as it did the urbanites. As such, I just see it as another day.
Nobody bats an eyelash here about 9/11. Aside from the people whose family members were directly affected (and the whiners whose family members were supposed to be in the building but weren't), people just don't care. It is just another day.

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
*raises glass of Sprite in agreement*

While I take every opportunity to mock you (and expect the same in return) I still have a great deal of respect for America. The events of a decade ago were nothing short of a tragedy thats effects are still felt today. And while I still firmly believe that it will be America that one day brings about the inevitable apocalypse, for today at least, I raise a glass and say to you, God Bless America.

Derek_the_Dodo

Sep 28, 2010
Versuvius said:
Technically its 11/9. And personally i think "get over it". It's happened, it's been, it's gone, you have given the terrorist organisation supposedly responsible hell via your military and shot bin laden. Give us all an effing break from your sob story. I really couldn't care less about those towers. Hey guy's we got bombed too, the biggest response was our lamenting of the trains running late the day after. That is all.

Edit: Also terrorising the world with your absurd pre-flight checks like a bunch of paranoid children.

Your being the potty government.
I'm sure for the most part the USA are perfectly aware of the 7/7 London tube bombings. And Arbi Trax already said that the world will keep turning etc. This isn't a shoving a sob story in peoples face thread, its just one of mourning, respect and solidarity.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
Versuvius said:
Technically its 11/9. And personally i think "get over it". It's happened, it's been, it's gone, you have given the terrorist organisation supposedly responsible hell via your military and shot bin laden. Give us all an effing break from your sob story. I really couldn't care less about those towers. Hey guy's we got bombed too, the biggest response was our lamenting of the trains running late the day after. That is all.

Edit: Also terrorising the world with your absurd pre-flight checks like a bunch of paranoid children.

Your being the potty government.
Wow. Your arrogance is astounding. I really hope you're 14, or at least still a teen, because if you get to adulthood with that level of insensitivity and phenomenally nihilistic mentality, then you have just doomed yourself to a horribly unhappy future.

Is it too much to ask for you to hold that sort of rhetoric inside, instead of whipping out the e-peen to show us all what a cool anti-hipster elitist you are? God! Your arrogance offends the very fabric of common decency. You are a sad little man, who wants so desperately to be Ricky Fitts from American Beauty.

You sir, are a fool, and a crass example of freedom gone amok. However, I thank you for your comment, with all my heart. As a person who has spent at least 8 years of his life in the service of his country, sometimes is harsher lands, I love it when any person expresses their freedom of speech. Because I KNOW it was GIVEN to you, no matter how undeserving, by better men and women than yourself. Men and Women like me.

Good day sir.