90's music compared to today's

roblikestoskate

Oct 16, 2008
I've never been a huge fan of 90s music, especially the mainstream. I mean, don't get me wrong. Soundgarden's Superunknown was the first CD I ever bought and I had several Alice In Chains albums, but I've definitely outgrown them along with Pearl Jam, Live, and pretty much everything I was listening to when I was fifteen. I truly can't be bothered to listen to Weezer ever again. Ever.

I've always been drawn to music from the 80s, whether its The Cars, Blondie, Talking Heads, or New Order and I honestly think that Rod Stewart's "Young Turks" is a good song. Both the pop and the indie music from that time has something to offer me. In fact, I think I liked music better before Kurt Cobain changed everything, but a changing of the guard is inevitable, just as it was when people got burned out with Pink Floyd and The Ramones came in and shook things up.

Music from the 70s also continues to be relevant. Stevie Wonder, The Velvet Underground, and David Bowie will always have a place in music. Always.

Today's music is... well there will always be popular music and sometimes that which is popular will coencide with that which is good (M.I.A.), but every era has it's thriving musical undercurrents. The 90s had Pavement. The 80s had The Clash. What have we got? Crystal Castles, MIA, Girl Talk, Kleerup, Daft Punk, MGMT. We have everything and several rich generations to draw from and listen to.

In short, we have everything we need.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Remember guys, the 90's was full of crap just like nowadays. I know that from early to mid-90's we had the grunge movement which spawned dozens of very talented and interesting bands & artists, but by 1995 the industry was clogged with Nirvana and Pearl Jam clones and it just got old too soon; from there on everything just went downhill (and it's very well a matter of taste too cause a lot of hair metal fans dispised grunge and what it stood for, I was never a huge fan myself, I hate trends).

Those who love music will always find something good to listen to despite the times (or decade); know what you like and where to look for it, especially in an age where you can search for a band on the net and get references to similar artists (a great way to dicover music that interests you) cause back in my days everything spread through word of mouth, so it was a pretty closed community.