Battlefield 3 Is "Grounded In Authenticity"

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Battlefield 3 Is "Grounded In Authenticity"

Battlefield 3 lead designer David Goldfarb talks up Battlefield 3's plausibility and assures us it's going to be more Dark Knight than Adam West. So no shark repellent spray DLC then.

Talking about Bad Company 1 and 2 in EA's Battlefield 3 ad-journal thingie the Battleblog [http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/09/09/battleblog-10-crafting-a-captivating-story-grounded-in-authenticity.aspx##], Goldfard wrote "They were great fun, they had their own theme, they were light-hearted. In essence, they were adventure flicks. Indiana Jones with an assault rifle." Battlfield 3 is apparently keeping the assault rifles but dropping the Indiana Jones part.

[video=4157]

"With Battlefield 3, we knew we had to really divorce ourselves from those characters and those themes." He goes on. " We had to go somewhere else and do something different and push a different set of buttons. We're telling a war story now, and that means it needs to feel credible, it needs to feel contemporary, and it needs to connect with things and emotions that we have never really tried or had the means to properly connect to before."

To that end, the game will feature authentic military-themed gibberish - Goldfarb claims Dice " going closer to the slang of the modern warrior." It also won't be all shooting, all the time. "We are mixing tension building passages with the chaos of suddenly erupting firefights," he says. That sounds promising. A lot of modern shooters, especially those of the "gritty and (supposedly) realistic" variety, tend to hurl the player from one firefight to the next with no regard for pacing or tension, blasting them with a constant stream of stabbing and shooting so hectic it begins to lose all coherence and meaning.

The story in Battlefield 3's single player campaign will be a non-linear affair, with the player dumped into the boots of numerous different gun-toting characters around the globe Whether they'll be actual characters, or simply a gun duct taped to a camera with a name badge, remains to be seen. Regardless, Goldfarb promises that the game will ask the characters, and by extension the player, difficult questions. In particular, "What would you really do for your country?" My guess is that the answer may be "shoot a whole lot of people."

While the trailer Goldfarb released with his post (top right there, kiddos, or take a closer look here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112928-Battlefield-3-Teaser-Shakes-Up-Warfare]) is light on character development, it doesn't scrimp on atmosphere. It's dark, oppressive, frantic and actually quite frightening in its own way.

"Tone is vibe. It's style. It's a feeling. It's why The Dark Knight is awesome and the 60s Batman is not, the difference between Saving Private Ryan and Hogan's Heroes," writes Goldfarb. "It's one of those things which, if you do it right, affects everything. More than anything else in Battlefield 3's single player story, this is where we set out to do something different."

Battlefield 3 is due October 25th for 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'm a little worried about those non-action sequences. Call of Duty did that, and all it was was walking from one area to another while listening to a guy spout exposition. Give us something to do during those sequences to make it a part of the gameplay.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
I'm a little worried about those non-action sequences. Call of Duty did that, and all it was was walking from one area to another while listening to a guy spout exposition. Give us something to do during those sequences to make it a part of the gameplay.
Believe it or not I think periods in which the player has nothing to do but watch or listen are pretty vital. It's one of the reasons Half Life 2 works so well.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Believe it or not I think periods in which the player has nothing to do but watch or listen are pretty vital. It's one of the reasons Half Life 2 works so well.
Half Life 2 did have stuff you could do during the non action segments though. I remember listening to the commentary for Episode One regarding the trip mine maze immediately following a frantic firefight, and how well gamers reacted to it.

I'm referring to the stuff like in COD4 or Black Ops, where you have to do exactly as the game tells you, or you will die pretty much instantly. Like the level where you have to sneak through a field after your chopper is downed, and you have to follow the exact path, or meet bullet hell.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Soviet Heavy said:
And it's a better way of doing exposition that in the style of say, Crysis 2, where all you did was get the story told to you by a loading screen and a dude's voice.

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
`it's going to be more Dark Knight than Adam West. So no shark repellent spray DLC then`

Pre-order cancelled. :)

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
60s Batman not awesome!
I am no longer buying BF3!
Ok I wasn't anyway, but y'know.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Adam West's voice makes me want to explode

Why the hate on things that aren't contemporary? It isn't like we aren't satisfied unless there is blood gushing every 6 seconds or something.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I'd like there to be a mission where nothing crazy happens at all. A patrol through the city where you don't get ambushed or blown up by an IED. It would make a good counter point to when shit goes tits up, i.e. every other mission you go on.

Apr 28, 2008
Bad Company 1 was a lighthearted Indiana Jones-style adventure. Bad Company 2 tried to make things more serious, and I'd say it fell on it's face. We went from a romp through whateverstan for gold to Russians invading the US. No, neither story was particularly that great, but the first's lighthearted nature allowed me to forgive it a bit more. The second's focus on being serious hurt it.

Seriously, fuck M-Com stations or whatever, give me chests of gold!

As for BF3, well yeah that looks all nice and whatnot. But honestly, eh. Pretty graphics really don't interest me that much, mainly since I most likely won't be able to see 'em all due to my setup. And the shooting... well lets just say that I think I've had enough shooters for a while.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Battlefield 3 is grounded in authenticity but civilians don't exist in its war-zones. Also can someone tell me who we're fighting in this one, Russians?

Feb 13, 2008
Grey Carter said:
So no shark repellent spray DLC then.
Just in case anyone hasn't seen...

And it's Shark Repellant Bat Spray!

"Tone is vibe. It's style. It's a feeling. It's why The Dark Knight is awesome and the 60s Batman is not, the difference between Saving Private Ryan and Hogan's Heroes," writes Goldfarb. "It's one of those things which, if you do it right, affects everything."
Like press releases. And not dissing beloved nostalgia.

Especially as sometimes you just can't get rid of Origin.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
As a PC gamer, I thought I'd be more hyped for this game. I kinda want it, but I'm primarily a single player kind of guy, and I'm also sick of all the military shooters, WW2 or modern. I just can't stand it any more. It looks like a fun game, but I don't think I'll be getting it on release day. There are a lot of single player games that are being released this autumn and winter, I really can't deal with another shooter right now.

Vicarious Vangaurd

Jun 7, 2010
Corporal Yakob said:
Battlefield 3 is grounded in authenticity but civilians don't exist in its war-zones. Also can someone tell me who we're fighting in this one, Russians?
Russians, Chinese and various middle easterners...I believe.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Don't we have have enough 'serious' military shooters? With games like Red Orchestra and ArmA doing the 'authenticity' bit better? The lightheartedness BF:BC1 filled a niche - so why can't they do their own thing?

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Soviet Heavy said:
And that brief period post-EMP in Modern Warfare 2. It seems like one of the few sections where some atmosphere went into the design.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Don't we have have enough 'serious' military shooters? With games like Red Orchestra and ArmA doing the 'authenticity' bit better? The lightheartedness BF:BC1 filled a niche - so why can't they do their own thing?
Who says this isn't their own thing? Have you played the previous Battlefield games? They didn't really have much in the way of singleplayer, but the tone of the games was always serious.