92 year old WWII vet bootlegs 300,000 DVDs and sends them to American soldiers in Afghanastan

Volkov

Dec 4, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
I don't see why people think soldiers deserve such special treatment. They get paid over there, they aren't saints or something. And being a WWII veteran doesn't really give him leave to break the law.
I agree with this, but unfortunately, in this country, you'll find that being a soldier does give you special treatment. The reasons given are horrendous, but faith does not arise from reasoning.

We'll see what happens though. I'd prefer it if they DO let him go unpunished, because then that will give some strength to pirates' precedence-based arguments in court, and that is very much a good thing.

ThatGuy

Dec 19, 2011
That's pretty cool. But I would think that the soldiers could also buy dirt cheap pirated DVDs locally (or download movies like everyone else). But hey -- it's the thought that counts!

The most surprising thing to me about this story is how tech-savvy and resourceful the guy is at 92 years of age.

One question: How the heck did those packages clear customs?

accipitre

Apr 24, 2012
ThatGuy said:
That's pretty cool. But I would think that the soldiers could also buy dirt cheap pirated DVDs locally (or download movies like everyone else). But hey -- it's the thought that counts!

The most surprising thing to me about this story is how tech-savvy and resourceful the guy is at 92 years of age.

One question: How the heck did those packages clear customs?
I have no clue. Maybe because they were simply being shipped to troops, they didn't go through the same checks?

As for the downloading/buying locally, there isn't anything to buy locally, and internet speeds are horribly slow (I think someone said 15 kbps earlier in the thread).

Simmo8591

May 20, 2009
To punish him for a genuine act of camerardery towards American servicemen would be a great misjustice considering the level of piracy that exists across the world with a far less noble objective. I would bet every one of the posters on this site has dowloaded something illegally, whether it's streaming a tv show, film, cracking a game or sharing music.
Yes, it's stealing and taking money from the people who made the property, but almost everyone who is criticising this man has committed that crime on a small personal scale.
Servicemen get an incredible amount of abuse by certain groups but the fact remains that for the right or wrong resons the live an incredibly tough and dangerous life that deprives them from the little things like films that we take for granted. (for the record both my grandparents were british military so I am in no way againts servicmen personally). So I fully respect this man and his actions and hope he continues to provide this service.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
Rudyard Kipling

Tommy

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o'beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's ``Thank you, Mister Atkins,'' when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's ``Thank you, Mr. Atkins,'' when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy how's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints:
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind,"
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country," when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

Or to be more succint "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

I notice this a lot around here.

On topic I hope the copyright lawyers go after this old man with everything in their arsenal as publicly, as viscously and as cravenly as they would any other 'PIRATE WHO STEALS THE JOBS OF AMERICANS!' .

And I hope this old man looks them in the eye, smiles and tells them to go fuck themselves and he'll see them in court, where they can look forward to a nice long public trial with 60000+ witnesses in dress uniform :D