Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Requires Online Pass

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Requires Online Pass

If you're interested in multiplayer Mass Effect 3, you better buy the game new - or be ready to pony up extra for an Online Pass.

We got most of the lowdown on the new multiplayer component of Mass Effect 3 a few days ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113587-BioWare-Finally-Confirms-and-Details-Mass-Effect-3-Multiplayer] but one point that wasn't touched on was whether or not Electronic Arts would tie it in to its Online Pass program. This probably isn't going to come as a huge surprise to anyone but the short answer to that question is, yes.

"The Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War feature can be activated via the Online Pass code found in every new copy of Mass Effect 3," EA said in a press release. "The Mass Effect 3 Online Pass can also be purchased separately on the Xbox 360 videogame and entertainment system and PlayStation3 computer entertainment system."

Before you go rummaging around for your torch and pitchfork, bear in mind that this isn't just unsurprising, it's also nothing new. Cerberus Network [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001TORSII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318611150&sr=8-1] and all its groovy goodies to a single-use code included with new copies of the game, which is a less "rolls off the tongue" way of saying Online Pass. In other words, EA is just adding more stuff to a system that was established in the previous game.

Now if you still want to take up torches and pitchforks, knock yourself out. I just want to be sure that nobody's operating from a position of ignorance. Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Collectors-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYZS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318611082&sr=8-1] comes out on March 6, 2012, for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Thanks to RedEyesBlackGamer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/RedEyesBlackGamer] for the tip.

Justice4L

Aug 24, 2011
You can pretty much expect this when it comes to EA. They did it with Bad Company 2.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Well, at least they're telling us this months in advance, rather than a few days before launch.

Oh EA, you so silly

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Oh, EA you greedy bastards. No, actually Lewis Black said it best for this kind of greed:

Piggy Piggy FUCK Piggy Piggy!

It's not like I'm not buying it new anyway, I'm probably not even going to touch the Multiplayer. But these kind of business practices' publishers keep doing just piss me off.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Someone should start up a website where people who don't play online can post their unused online pass codes so people that buy it used don't have to take it up the ass from this bullshit. Hell if I had more time and a larger degree of web design ability I'd do it myself. I mean think about it, there has to be a ton of these codes that go totally unused. If you could start gathering these unused codes and give them away for free or selling them for say half the amount with a bit of exposure you could really start to stick it to companies like EA.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This is win-win. I won't buy their game, and they won't hit me with an online pass.

Those who really love online passes can purchase the game and have them. Everybody wins.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
Is this surprising? A company requiring you to actually buy their product to use it completely? Is there any multiplayer game out recently that lets you play online with a cracked or second hand version?

I can't think of one.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Having preordered the game myself, this doesn't effect me. But if local, two player co-op is included but also requires the pass, I'm going to murder someone.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
I'm alright with this, considering that I'm not getting Mass Effect 3 for the multiplayer. I'm just hoping singleplayer is good and lengthy.

Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, fuck you EA.

Used sales are not your enemy you idiots. Mass Effect is already a hugely popular game series. People LOVE Mass Effect. People LOVE Bioware. Everyone who really wants it is buying it new, you will get no good amount of money from used sales. It's pointless, stupid, and a waste of everyone's time.

The people who bought Mass Effect used and liked it have most likely bought ME2 new, and are going to buy this new.

And all used copies on shelves have been bought. You've seen money from those copies. They are no longer yours. Used sales have a legal right to exist, and it's the ONE fucking benefit customers get from this system you and many other Publishers benefit from daily, and you want to take even that away from us, or try to stick your dicks into it any way you can.

And what, are multiplayer servers that expensive you must charge even more money for them? Well, here's an idea, DON'T PUT MULTIPLAYER INTO EVERYTHING YOU IDIOTS!

And if SO MANY people are buying used that it's really hurting you so much, perhaps that's a sign to not try and charge them, but to lower your god damn prices so they CAN buy new. EA, you said the $60 price point was something that the industry had to change soon. You said that in 2007. Here we are in 2011, and you haven't done jack shit to fix the problem, and instead have just bitched about used sales.

In any other industry if nobody is buying a product new, they lower the price so more people can buy it new. Why you're so against this I really don't know, but maybe you should do that. Sure, you could stay in your fantasy-land world where everyone should buy new and those who can't buy new should go without, or you can return to the real world where people are buying used because they can't afford new, and reduce your damn prices so they can buy new. It doesn't matter how "right" you are, if people aren't willing or able to buy new, you need to lower your prices so they can and will buy new.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
As much as this annoys me. Every time i buy a game with an online passcode second hand it has the code in the box. So ha=ha EA I'm buying it second hand with the code and you are not getting an extra penny.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Online passes are a great idea. If you want to pay a reduced price, you get a reduced product, and no amount of parroted Jimquisition quotes are going to convince me it's wrong.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Damn! why can I never find my pitchfork... OH bloody hell the torch has gone out as well!

The Dutchess

Feb 24, 2011
Already pre-ordered the digital package. Grossly over-priced in my opinion but it's Mass Effect 3 ... and I'm a weak weak creature.

Never bought a used game in my life. I keep an eye on Steam's offers and if there's something I like the look of for £5 I'll grab it. If it's a game I really want I'll be buying it the day it comes out.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Of COURSE it is. It's EA. Not a game I'll be playing myself but sorry for the people missing out 'cause they can't afford £40.