EA Pokes Fun at Herman Cain's Tax Plan

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Pokes Fun at Herman Cain's Tax Plan

A new video from Electronic Arts has a little bit of fun with Herman Cain's "SimCity-inspired" 9-9-9 tax plan.

Okay, the truth is that the 9-9-9 tax plan proposed by Republican presidential wannabe Herman Cain has nothing to do with the similarities [http://www.amazon.com/SimCity-4-Pc/dp/B00006F7S8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318954217&sr=8-3] are sufficient to raise questions, even if they're not entirely serious: just where did Cain get this idea, anyway?

EA Maxis wants everyone to know that he didn't get it from President Obama, or from fellow Republican candidates Mitt Romney or Rick Perry. No, he got it from the people who live in your computer and have green plumbobs over their heads. And to celebrate this remarkable crossover of videogames and politics, EA is having a sale: for a limited, time, SimCity 4 is available from Origin for only - you guessed it - $9.99 [http://store.origin.com/DRHM/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ea&Locale=en_US&ThemeID=718200&Env=BASE&productID=198095500].

Alas, Mr. Cain himself doesn't appear to see the humor in any of this. "It's a lie," he insisted, when asked about the connection between videogames and his tax plan last week. "That's all I'm going to say. It is a lie. You see, that's the difference when you become one or two in the polls. People make up stuff. That is a lie. I'm not going to take it back and not going to politically say - but unfortunately that is not totally true. It's a lie."

It's also just a joke, sir. Calm down.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/17/herman-cain-999-plan-simcity_n_1016131.html]

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"America needs to get a sense of humor."

-Herman Cain on Meet the Press on October 16th, 2011 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc9jBRE6WGs]

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
A pity he can't see the humor in it, as I don't think there's anyone who legitimately believes he ripped the idea from a nine year old computer game. Of course the media has gotten hold of stranger things and billed them as fact.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Andy Chalk said:
Alas, Mr. Cain himself doesn't appear to see the humor in any of this. "It's a lie," he insisted, when asked about the connection between videogames and his tax plan last week. "That's all I'm going to say. It is a lie. You see, that's the difference when you become one or two in the polls. People make up stuff. That is a lie. I'm not going to take it back and not going to politically say - but unfortunately that is not totally true. It's a lie."

He mad bro.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Ahhh...tasteful.

For once, EA has a marketing ploy that is, in fact, not insane and stupid, but pokes fun at something.

Wonder if this'll be on the Daily Show...

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
The Gentleman said:
Andy Chalk said:
"People in Washington need a sense of humor"

-Herman Cain on Meet the Press on October 16th, 2011
Ahahaha! Did he really say that?
Yes [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc9jBRE6WGs], although technically he said "America needs to get a sense of humor."

[Changing post above to reflect the actual words and link]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Wow, you pulled a story about a Republican Candidate from the Huffington Post.... One of the most liberal left papers in America. Nice sourcing. No matter what you think, they purposely made this connection as a way to discredit him... though being a Republican tends to be discrediting enough.

But, on the general topic. He may not have pulled this from the game, or he may have. The people who invented flip phones swear up and down they didn't take the idea from Star Trek TOS for them. It may be true. It may not be true. It may also be an original idea he had. He is not the first candidate to propose a flat tax on these items and being a Republican, he is supposed to believe in low taxes, and this would make a total taxation income rate of 27% (the majority still coming from the rich). People do have original ideas that they come up with that others also come up with. No one can claim original knowledge in anything.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
To be fair on his part, EA seemed to have went out of their way to troll him into the response he gave. Its not like he ever said he got it from EA, and its only getting the connection because of the gamers and EA people who remember this from the game and decided to throw it at him.

not that Im defending him. its funny... kinda. I'd rather have seen that company that does the animated sim style ones on Adult Swim do it though.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
For.I.Am.Mad said:
If he wins the Republican nomination I might die of laughter.
I think Bill Maher is right: there's no way Republicans would allow the presidential election be between two black guys.

He also mentioned that Cain got the idea from the teller at his local bank.
I think many would have an easier time accepting it if it came from a video game.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Sense of humor??

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NknF4n44OCg

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Baresark said:
Wow, you pulled a story about a Republican Candidate from the Huffington Post.... One of the most liberal left papers in America. Nice sourcing.
Thanks!

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
I think this is the first time I've ever seen EA show any humour what so ever. In fact this is the first time I've seen any major publisher show they have a sense of humour. And so quick to respond as well. Well, I am surprised.