Richard Garriott's Crazy Awesome Mansion Up For Sale

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Richard Garriott's Crazy Awesome Mansion Up For Sale

Britannia Manor II, the amazing, palatial home of Richard Garriott, is up for sale.

You've probably heard of Britannia Manor [http://www.britanniamanor.com/], the sprawling home of Richard Garriott, AKA Lord British, famous for its observatory, secret passages and of course some seriously over-the-top haunted house events on Halloween. And if you're any kind of normally-functioning nerd, you've also thought about how totally freakin' awesome it would be to have a pad like that of your very own. Well now you can - if you've got the bucks for it.

Garriott's put his famous mansion up for sale for a whopping $4.1 million, a tad more than the average first-timer's mortgage. Not that you won't get some serious house for your money; Chez Richard features three bedrooms, two full and three half baths, central air, built-in oven, dishwasher, microwave, sub-zero refrigerator, energy-efficient double-pane windows and a solar-based "off-the-grid" energy system.
[gallery=511]
And then of course there's the pool, the secret grotto, the waterfall, the full-on 360-degree observatory with telescope, separate guest quarters, a detached studio, an air conditioned barn, a five-car garage and a damn fine view. And secret passages! Come on, who doesn't love secret passages?

Alas, I couldn't even afford the taxes on this place, which run nearly $60,000 a year all on their own. That's not what chased Garriott off the property, however; he's currently hard at work on Britannia Manor III.

Source: GamePolitics [http://reatx.com/idx/mls-6720025-8207_two_coves_dr_austin_tx_78730]

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Dayuuuuuuum, that is a NICE house!

How does Garriott afford all that? I know he did the Ultima and Wing Commander games, and recently Tabula Rasa, but how does he have the money to build and maintain that house and still go off to build another?

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I visited this about 18 years ago when he used to do his haunted house. Met him and all his SCA buds who all the characters in Ultima were based. I was so worried about being a fanboy that I have no pictures or autographs to show for it. Oh well!

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
dagens24 said:
Nice-ish (kind of) house, decor is uuuuugly though.
I'd insist they leave the swords, guns and space suit. Anything else decorating it would be wrong.

God I want that house. It has a SPIRAL WATERSLIDE for heaven's sake!

Nooners said:
How does Garriott afford all that? I know he did the Ultima and Wing Commander games, and recently Tabula Rasa, but how does he have the money to build and maintain that house and still go off to build another?
I'm assuming he's selling that house to pay for the other one. I'm sure he's still got a fair bit of money. Maybe he kept some of that Space Cash he found while in space (I still can't believe Lord British went to space).

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Hot damn that place is ridiculous!

And it has a waterslide?! I WANT THAT PLACE!!

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Just be careful. I hear there's a brick in the courtyard that if you tap it the right way, will kill you instantly.

And don't eat the bread. Just sayin'.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
Just be careful. I hear there's a brick in the courtyard that if you tap it the right way, will kill you instantly.
That's nothing. I hear someone's going to try bump Garriott while he's showing the buyer around with an odd combination of a gold plaque, some bread, a powder keg, a sword made of glass, and a cannon.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
God, how fucking tacky and ugly is that house? I wouldn't get payed to live there. It looks like the first house I made in the Sims when I wanted to cram everything in...

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
You're looking at the future HQ of Mojang.

Seriously, nice house. Why's Richard selling, though? Run out of money? Lord British's tax income not substantial enough?

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Formica Archonis said:
SnakeoilSage said:
That's nothing. I hear someone's going to try bump Garriott while he's showing the buyer around with an odd combination of a gold plaque, some bread, a powder keg, a sword made of glass, and a cannon.
From the look of his house, I would say those items are readily on hand. I wouldn't be surprised if he did it just to tease us.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
That is a nerds dream fortress i would love it. When I tried to add secret passages my wife got allll upset about me 'knocking holes in walls' and 'ruining her 18th century book case with a filthy engine'.

Nooners said:
Dayuuuuuuum, that is a NICE house!

Ya know all the money he earned? He invested it.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I get this funny feeling that Garriott is not only rich, but mildly insane. That house is a little bit crazy. Epic, but crazy. I guess it's a better investment than drugs or losing it all in gambling, so maybe he has more sanity than I first thought.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Lord British is going to space!

still, this house is pretty epic...for one that's built on Earth