One Size Does Not Fit All

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It's kind of interesting how they seem to just throw away a potential market because it's not their bread and butter.

I do get that comics are not marketed to women nor usually written with women in mind, but it seems easy enough to print up those same clothes in a female cut.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
The line at the end about your husband being a superhero is sweet (assuming it is meant as not just a link to his article but a compliment also)

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I'm a sucker for a geeky t-shirt. I have way too many, MLP, Doctor Who, Stargate, CoD (not as bad as you think), general videogame t-shirts in general. My parents are constantly telling me I have way too many, and then I buy another one xD

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Oh yeah?
I feel with you since I can't get a single My Little Pony shirt from that store in my vicinity because it is only women sizes. I know, the internet. But why can't a grown man wear Rarity on his chest?
You shut up, brony haters. This is about principles.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
kudos to the author of that article.
I was half expecting a "yeah, that's right, I'm a GRRL who reads COMICS. does that INTIMIDATE YOU?" or a "I GOT A ONE SIZE FITS ALL AND IT DIDN'T FIT ME. CLEARLY THE T-SHIRT IS THE PROBLEM" or even a "lol, I'm a girl and I read comics, I'm such a nerd =3", but it was actually a very fair and well thought out piece.

and it especially sucks that, since there are so few regular comic shirts for girls/women (nothing wrong with the "my boyfriend's abs are made of steel" kind, but they shouldn't be the ONLY ones available), this is just catering to the "YEAH, GRRL PWR"/"lol, I saw Iron Man, I'm such a nerd"/all around attention whore crowd.

the answer to this problem is the internet. Hot Topic is expensive as shit (and I can't stand the people who frequent that place), but there are sites with some GREAT selections for guys and gals. 80stees is a pretty good one. ignore the costumes/toys, everything else is gold.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I do love me some geeky shirts, and it sucks that only a small portion of them are for women, and some aren't even that good. I normally don't get all pissy about these things, but this one does irk the hell out of me. Would it kill them to make some for the rest of us?

Or do they hate money that much?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
SirBryghtside said:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait WAIT.

Russ Pitts is your husband?! ...or I've got this totally wrong XD

Anyway, yeah, that's stupid. I've never actually bought a 'geeky' shirt... but it's on my to do list :p
Yes, he is, and yes, he's a superhero. :)

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Quaxar said:
Oh yeah?
I feel with you since I can't get a single My Little Pony shirt from that store in my vicinity because it is only women sizes. I know, the internet. But why can't a grown man wear Rarity on his chest?
I know! I was in Vegas, one of the best places to get shirts and stuff, and when I was looking around at all the awesome shirts in the Hot Topic (the only place I could find anything interesting), I found some MLP shirts! Except they were:
Pinkie Pie in a girl's size shouting "LETS PARTY!" which would have been fine minus the whole girl thing
An actual MLP shirt that looked 20 or so years old
And a shirt that said "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" in a baby blue that only came in small and extra small =|
So I decided on a Gorillaz shirt, Pokemon shirt, and got my friend a Pikachu toque. So frustrating >.>

OP: That really sucks =/
Most of the nerdy shirts I own are either from Otafest that comes to my city every year, or from online. I have a few that I have randomly found in random stores that usually cater to randomness, but they are very rare and... random.
You'd think that out of all the stores in the world to not have a good selection of shirts, that that Marvel store would have a decent selection. I'm sure the guy shirts were awesome, but only 3 girl shirts? That is really messed up.

Also, I second your hate of girls that wear geeky/nerdy clothes because it is trendy (or some other reason) and not because they legitimately like what their shirt is about >=/

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Great article.

Throwing this out there, but you could always send a valid customer complaint E-ml to Universal Studios. If you write it as an intelligent and respectful complaint, explaining that it took away from your experience, list why, and offer suggestions of how to improve it, they will take notice. Be as specific as possible without going into a rage fit or threatening to sue...

... I try to explain the latter to friends when they send complaints, yet they never seem to understand that they're less likely to be listened to if they threaten and stomp their feet around like a two-year-old in a tantrum.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Quaxar said:
Oh yeah?
For what it's worth, I feel your pain. It's laughable to deny that MLP has a big following among adult males, not just girls and not just kids.

jobu59749

Aug 3, 2009
Thanks for making this point Susan. My wife and I were just having a discussion over the fact that there are so many nerd things in clothes that aren't geared to women. The nerdiest it gets, is this time of year, when the market explodes with comic outfits for women that make them look like sluts. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but it's a bit of a shame that this is the only time there is a market towards clothes that express womens inner nerd and not even in a really creative way.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:

Women read comics too, you jerks.

Read Full Article
Sometimes art needs to stop imitating life, no? Unfortunately, art-for-profit doesn't lend itself to making changes. Society has stereotypical views and expectations, and merchandise is meant to capitalize on that rather than challenge it.

It's going to take an artistic body with more integrity than Disney to take any risks, unfortunately. When we finally have artists who create female heroes with the same variety of body shapes and sizes as they do male heroes (and not always have the "ugly" ones be villains) we might start getting somewhere. When we have female heroes who doesn't have to be unattractive in order to not be sexualized, we'll have come even further.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
The Disney Store used to be slightly better on this with women's Marvel shirts on their website, but I just checked and there are only two.

It's one reason I love shirt sites like TeeFury or Shirt Woot, because everything comes in women's sizes too, since it's all printed upon order.

Surprisingly, Hot Topic carries a lot of shirts and swag with superheroes (DC and Marvel), games, Star Wars etc but a lot of them are in junior cuts. Which works for some, and it has improved.

The recent New York Comic-Con had a lot of options, by the way. Often from independent sellers making unofficial homage items.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
How about making women's shirt that actually fit most women? Yeah sometimes they have baby doll stuff available but they seem to cater to women with a flat chest. As someone with a very unflat chest I usually have to default to men's shirts because the women's don't fit. Your point still stands Susan and I agree but when they do print it's not likely they know that women have curves.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Dastardly said:
Susan Arendt said:

Women read comics too, you jerks.

Read Full Article
Sometimes art needs to stop imitating life, no? Unfortunately, art-for-profit doesn't lend itself to making changes. Society has stereotypical views and expectations, and merchandise is meant to capitalize on that rather than challenge it.

It's going to take an artistic body with more integrity than Disney to take any risks, unfortunately. When we finally have artists who create female heroes with the same variety of body shapes and sizes as they do male heroes (and not always have the "ugly" ones be villains) we might start getting somewhere. When we have female heroes who doesn't have to be unattractive in order to not be sexualized, we'll have come even further.
Universal Studios, not Disney.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I agree with you about their horrible selection, I'm a guy and I find that insulting, honestly, in their depiction of women's taste and sensibillity, AND at their lack of marketing skill/understanding to make the most money one must breach the most available markets... If a percetage of your customers are women, then you must recognize it as a market and build on this recognition, maybe by doing so increase the number of women in your marketable audience, while maintaining a steady balance not damaging or hindering the already oversaturated and numerous men in the existing (and highly proffitable already) market.

In other words, if you make exceptions allowing for market growth, you make more money.

By respecting all of your customers, you perpetuate "good business" earn respect for it, people become even more likely to purchase your products and support you...

Almost scary how blind the majority of corporate higher-ups and middle management are...

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
Satsuki666 said:
Its not just comic book t-shirts its the same pretty much everywhere that mass produces shirts for those types of things. Have you ever tried to find band shirts in womens sizes? Most of the time its just easier to buy a mens small or extra small.

BanthaFodder said:
the answer to this problem is the internet. Hot Topic is expensive as shit (and I can't stand the people who frequent that place), but there are sites with some GREAT selections for guys and gals. 80stees is a pretty good one. ignore the costumes/toys, everything else is gold.
You must not go out shopping much because hot topic is where you go if you dont want to spend much on clothes.
I dunno, the one near me sells graphic/nerdy tees (ie. Batman, Adventure Time, etc) for upwards of $20, when they have the same exact shirts in other stores like Old Navy or Walmart for like $10.

but of course, places like Old Navy and Walmart are for all the happy-go-lucky conformists :D

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
That is ridiculous. They should AT LEAST be providing for girls the same designs as us guys get. What they're writing on the shirts just seems stupid, I personally wouldn't want to walk around with a girl with those one her shirt.