Dragon Rage Abounds In Live-Action Skyrim Trailer

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Dragon Rage Abounds In Live-Action Skyrim Trailer

Wanna see a totally wicked sweet dragon? Thanks to Bethesda Softworks, we've got you covered.

As is the current trend, the latest trailer for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim brings the game's key concepts into the world of live-action video. And what are those key concepts, you ask? Surly-lookin' warriors and a huge winged lizard with serious anger management issues.

Granted, the clip ends right before the beast goes appropriately medieval on that dude's armored tuchus, but as far as teasing the game's epic man-on-dragon encounters, the trailer works a charm.

I will admit that these live-action game trailers, when done well, are quite stirring, and serve to translate the game's overtures to the real world; which is exactly what a publisher wishing to entrance the common man should be aiming for. That said, why is this a trend?

Sure, the Halo 3 diorama ad [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjhSp7xGsMc] was haunting and effective, and a brilliant swerve for gamers more accustomed to footage of actual gameplay, but at what point did publishers decide that live-action was the best way to advertise a product that is the antithesis of real-world footage?

No hypotheticals there. I'd actually like you to think about that, and throw out your best ideas as to why this advertising shift has occurred.

Personally, I'm blaming Nintendo for this one. 1991 was a really weird year [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2TBHppHX1o].

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Video games have been trying to blur the line between movies and games ever since the dawn of 3D gaming.

I see it as just another way to do that. Plus, it shows what movies based on video games COULD be. The "Remember Reach" trailer is better than any video game movie I've seen. I think movie makers wanting to bring a franchise to the big screen need to learn lessons from these shorts.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I really don't like this trailer.

Lacked the punch of other live-action trailers like AC2.

CE is still paid off and the countdown a'tickin'.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Awesome. Another brilliant trailer. I do find myself thinking that a lot of game trailers are better than film trailers.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Maybe they want to show what videogame movies could be like so people think of the trailers instead of Uwe Boll films? Honestly, I don't really know why it's become a trend and as long as the quality stays this good I don't care. What I do care about is whether the publishers plan on opening film studios for their franchises.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Xelt said:
Its a Wyvern, not a dragon, cause no front legs!
There an many different definitions on what makes a Dragon or Wyvern being they are fictional.

I always subscribe to the definition:
If it's a Lizard with wings and breaths fire, ice or whatever else, it's a Dragon.
If it's a snake with wings, it's Wyvern (doesn't have to breath anything).

That definitely is more of Lizard than snake, therefore Dragon.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
...seriously, with the liberties they take with other races (read: Dwarves), I'm surprised this debate even exists.
The day non-existant races are judged on factual accuracy will be the day we're sure that we've all gone bonkers.

Tolkien wrote a book, but contrary to popular belief that book is not gospel, dictated by a God.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
Xelt said:
Its a Wyvern, not a dragon, cause no front legs!
christ i know a guy who say that, fucking hate him. in my book if it breaths fire its a dragon

ot: pretty cool but i think the halo ones where better. still hyped for the game

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Wait, why do the villagers "accidentally" burn up the whole place BEFORE the dragon arrives. It's like they're taking his fuck-everything-up job.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Pretty well made, although I love how it kinda gave the impression that the villagers set half the place on fire before the dragon even got there.

Yearlongjester

Feb 14, 2010
NLS said:
Wait, why do the villagers "accidentally" burn up the whole place BEFORE the dragon arrives. It's like they're taking his fuck-everything-up job.
Those spiteful, crafty villagers...

Alternatively: Oh those zany villagers, when will they learn?

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
Does this mean every villager in Skyrim is a pyromaniac just waiting to have a dragon attack for a excuse?