600,000 + Facebook Accounts Get Hacked Daily

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
600,000 + Facebook Accounts Get Hacked Daily

Percentage-wise, only a small amount of Facebook's user accounts are compromised. The raw numbers are still pretty staggering, though.

Odds are, either you or a friend have wound up on the wrong end of a hacked Facebook account. It turns out that this happens far more than you'd probably expect: New official statistics from the social network have revealed that more than 600,000 are hacked on a daily basis.

Now, according to the statistics, only 0.06% of the billion-plus account logins that happen every day are compromised. Or, as Sophos so helpfully points out:

Put another way, that's more than 600,000 per day - or, if you really like to make your mind melt, one every 140 milliseconds.

Additionally, Facebook's got a new security feature that will allow you to name "Trusted Friends" who can give you hand if you wind up needing help to access your account (read: someone else has hacked your account and locked you out). Basically, Facebook will send codes to your friends, who will be able to forward them on to you.

Additionally, Facebook is implementing App Passwords, which will let you use Facebook Apps without having to use the credentials tied to your Facebook account. It's certainly good to see that the company is working to increase its users' security.

If you're interested, you can snag the entire infographic from Facebook, courtesy of Sophos.

Source: Sophos

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
You'd be surprised what HTTPS, strong password and a little caution can do for your safety. But I'm guessing almost 90% of hacks are related to a mistake on the user side of things.
Anyway, it's nice to see Facebook addressing privacy and security problems.

Feb 13, 2008
vansau said:
Additionally, Facebook's got a new security feature that will allow you to name "Trusted Friends" who can give you hand if you wind up needing help to access your account (read: someone else has hacked your account and locked you out). Basically, Facebook will send codes to your friends, who will be able to forward them on to you.
I can't see any possible way that could go wrong.

I mean, your "Trusted Friends" would never utilise your account for their own gain.

And I'm betting most of these hacks are social engineering. Or entering "Password" as the password.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
vansau said:
I can't see any possible way that could go wrong.

I mean, your "Trusted Friends" would never utilise your account for their own gain.
That is why you wouldn't give a trusted status to random guy #43 who added you once because you played a game with him. You would only give it to someone you would say you actually trust in real life. A sibling or friend you know who wouldn't screw with you.

But as said above most hacks can be avoided by just actually having a good password and not (yourname)12345. Now excuse me while I go change my password.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Sounds okay to me, the majority that get hacked are silly little children and internet rookies who click and download the wrong stuff or have passwords that are about as simple to guess as 'what is my name'. At least in a study I looked at.

And lol Trusted friends, I don't even trust my family not to abuse that kind of power if I piss them off.

Oh and obviously use HTTPS mode. And don't play stupid Facebook games that you give info to.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Another reason I'm considering dumping the whole thing altogether. My friends will hate me for it but I've been less and less active on Facebook for about a year now. Friends are bothering me in real life to be on more.

Facebook isn't fun for me anymore.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Should probably change my password and set the computer i'm using to their "secure" browsing at some point.

Eh, who am i kidding, its facebook, I have my name and a picture on there, and the picture has a hat covering half my face.

Feb 13, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Fiad said:
A sibling or friend you know who wouldn't screw with you.
Yeah, if you ever find any of those, let me know ;)
Most people have one or two of those, you know. Maybe you should look out for them more.
Most people think they do. Then the alcohol/wedding/girl/boy/boredom comes along...

Sep 14, 2009
oh jeez, in comes the stubborn people

"MIR! THAT'S WHY I DON"T USE FACEBOOK ANYWAYS!"

*forever alone*

OT: mehh, don't be an idiot and use some of those retarded apps they have and dont make your password something incredibly easy and your basically good to go.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Fiad said:
A sibling or friend you know who wouldn't screw with you.
Yeah, if you ever find any of those, let me know ;)
Have several, they screw with me at times, but know when to be serious.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
To my knowledge, I am using the secure "version" of FB which they used to forget to tell you about and I use a unique password from every other site. I think I'm as protected as I can be.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I don't see the point since I heard Facebook is planning to shut down here within a year, or is that still in the "rumor phase" of news?

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
My friend apparently knows how to hack accounts. I don't think he knows how to hack anything else, so I assume it's not the hardest thing to do. In any case, I've never believed facebook to be a particularly secure site. Still, nothing I can do to stop the hundreds of photos uploaded by other people of me. D:

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Right. Sophos, I want you to go back and this time, separate people who actually got hacked from people who lost their accounts because they fell for phishing or just had a stupid password. Because I don't believe for a second that that many accounts are legitimate hacked a day. If they were, Facebook would have even worse security than I original though AND I'd hate them even more for doing nothing about the problem (the trusted friends thing will not help STOP real hacking, it will just help you get your account back after the fact, and thus is not solving the problem).