Want Beyond Good and Evil 2? Buy Rayman Origins

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Want Beyond Good and Evil 2? Buy Rayman Origins

Ubisoft is hoping the prospect of Beyond Good and Evil 2 will generate a few sales for Rayman Origins.

"Ultimately, Rayman is [Michel Ancel's] original creation, and if all the people that love Beyond Good & Evil understand he is more than a one trick pony ... and that if Rayman Origins [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/4835-Rayman-Origins-Dragon-Trailer] does well, it gives him more leeway for other opportunities because he has to build up his studio," said Ubisoft's Sales VP Tony Key. "Other opportunities," in this case, meaning the long awaited follow-up to Ancel's highly regarded Beyond Good and Evil. "Beyond Good & Evil: HD is doing very well on PSN and Xbox Live and there's a lot of people coming back, and if they choose to do a sequel the audience is bigger than before," he added.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 seems to be in a bad place right now. It's not cancelled, per se, but the team working on it is tiny and there's little to show for nearly a decade of waiting, save a teaser trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkCXE1l5MVI], a very exciting target render [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVwTrjwautQ] and a vague promise that the game is being developed for next-gen consoles. Considering the original B&G sold about as well as a ten-dollar punch-to-the-kidneys, despite great reviews, it's not surprising Ubisoft is hesitant to invest heavily in a sequel.

This isn't the first time Ubisoft staff have implied, perhaps in jest, that B&G2's future depends on the sales of a current title. It was rather heavily implied that the performance of Beyond Good and Evil: HD was being used to gauge the market for the apparently upcoming sequel. While it's fairly obvious that publishers will be looking at sales of similar games, or of games from the same team, when deciding whether or not to fund a sequel, talking about the process so openly - even if it's with a knowing wink - does make it seem like Ubisoft is holding the game hostage. It's also worth noting that Rayman Origins is being released in the same month as Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim, Saints Row: The Third and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword . As good as the game may be, I doubt it'll rake in the millions.

Rayman Origins arrives on PS3, 360 and Wii on November 15th.

Source: Industry gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ubisoft-advises-bge-lovers-to-support-rayman-origins/]

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Given that i already waited quite a while for Rayman Origins (pretty much my last must-have-game this year), and that both the Demo and most Reviews give a really, REALLY positive impression of the game: Consider it done.

(Even though of course it's emotional Blackmail, but then again, despite all the shit Ubisoft pulls it's still one of the big publishers who is more willing to take a risk then others when it comes to new concepts and problematic developments.)

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Aww. They have that little confidence in Rayman origins? I know what most of you will be thinking when you hear this deal. But I believe they did the same thing when halo 3 demo was packed with the purchase of crackdown. Actually a few games carry demos of other games for one reason or another so this doesn't mean too much.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Frybird said:
Given that i already waited quite a while for Rayman Origins (pretty much my last must-have-game this year), and that both the Demo and most Reviews give a really, REALLY positive impression of the game: Consider it done.

(Even though of course it's emotional Blackmail, but then again, despite all the shit Ubisoft pulls it's still one of the big publishers who is more willing to take a risk then others when it comes to new concepts and problematic developments.)
The game looks astounding actually. The animation alone puts it on my list of must-haves.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I still need to play the first one, why do I never buy Microsoft points? Also, I want Origins, but man, you couldn't have released at a more crowded time could have you, Ubisoft? I don't want to say it's doomed to fail, but come on, this is almost as bad as NIS America's Cave Story release...

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Swifteye said:
Aww. They have that little confidence in Rayman origins?
chaosyoshimage said:
I still need to play the first one, why do I never buy Microsoft points? Also, I want Origins, but man, you couldn't have released at a more crowded time could have you, Ubisoft? I don't want to say it's doomed to fail, but come on, this is almost as bad as NIS America's Cave Story release...
Yeah, Rayman Origins really releases on the worst possible time.
Not only it goes up against more "audience appealing" titles from other genres, even in the Jump n Run Sector it has to go up against Super Mario Land 3D (even though luckily for Rayman, not that many people have a 3DS i guess). AND there's this Raving Rabbids Title for Kinect coming, having competition in the family-friendly sector from what is pretty much the same franchise.

...They'll get my money, but yeah, it looks a bit bleak...

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Ubisoft could just be like *wink* "buy the next 3-6 Assassin's Creed games and maybe..." lol

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Frybird said:
Swifteye said:
Aww. They have that little confidence in Rayman origins?
chaosyoshimage said:
Yeah, Rayman Origins really releases on the worst possible time.
Not only it goes up against more "audience appealing" titles from other genres, even in the Jump n Run Sector it has to go up against Super Mario Land 3D (even though luckily for Rayman, not that many people have a 3DS i guess). AND there's this Raving Rabbids Title for Kinect coming, having competition in the family-friendly sector from what is pretty much the same franchise.
And Sonic Generations from a couple of weeks ago which was well-received and is popular family-friendly franchise. Kirby makes some Wii competition too, but it's not like they could avoid competition, but the games pretty much taking on all of it, and Rayman isn't a super popular brand name and even Ubisoft have pretty much phased him out for the Rabbids. It really bothers me to be all doom and gloom about this especially when it's such a creative looking title and is exactly the kind of thing I've been clamoring for all generation...

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
No?
Look, I really want Beyond Good and Evil 2. I bought Beyond Good and Evil HD to support that cause. I like BG&E, so I'll gladly support it. I don't care about Rayman, though. This just seems like a pity party. So you had awful foresight and released a full-priced 2D platformer in the middle of a slew of big name releases. That's on you.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Hah, great.

I don't own any of those consoles. I do have almost every single Rayman game that came out on PC, even the educational one.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hey Ubisoft, the way it usually works is "if you like a game, buy that game" not "if you like a game, buy all the other crappy games from the publisher's library".

This is just blackmail. Rayman has nothing to do with Beyond-Good-and-evil-2, except that the money goes to the same people, Ubisoft seem to have a critical disconnect between supply and demand. Giving the customer what they want.

If people don't buy Rayman Origins and still clamour for Beyond Good and Evil 2...

[HEADING=2]THEN GIVE THEM BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2!!!![/HEADING]

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I myself could care less about Rayman, but I did like "Beyond Good and Evil".

Truthfully I think part of the problem is that the gaming industry is becoming so obsssesed with profit that it's becoming blind to reality. In the end BGAE is an example of a game that sold poorly because it was never given much support or promoted, it became popular largely by word of mouth as people discovered it, talked about it, and so on over a long period of time.

In a lot of respects it reminds me of some of Atlus' "Shin Megami Tensei" titles, they were released under the radar, not promoted much at all, and as a result it took a long time for Atlus to finally realize that there was indeed an audience for them in the US (especially uncensored).

In the case of Ubisoft I think the situation is obvious, but it's so afraid of losing money that it can't get the "well, what if we're wrong" bit out of their collective heads. Even if it IS a mistake, it's not like Ubisoft can't afford to take a hit for the sake of the fans once in a while... and I think that's a problem with the industry as a whole, the guys calling the shots tend not to think in terms of all the products that they have that ARE making money, but simply the ones that are losing it or not making enough. At the end of the day it should largely be about net profits, and coming out ahead. If you've got one more penny than you've spent after paying everyone, that's a success, not a failure. Instead it's all about personal jets, swanky employee cafeterias, and using video games as an excuse to meet celebrities by hiring them to do voice work.

I'm getting further and further afield... but yeah, I think Ubisoft is screwing around with us rather unfairly.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Kind of reminds me of Silcon Knights releasing Too Human i think is the games name.
Anyway they relased it when people have been saking for Eternal Darkness.

If they can't give what the fans want all the better they sink and are sold to a compony that can. *Has a though of EA or Activison buying the right to BG&E* know what scratch that I'll buy rayman.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
IceStar100 said:
Kind of reminds me of Silcon Knights releasing Too Human i think is the games name.

If they can't give what the fans want all the better they sink and are sold to a compony that can. *Has a though of EA or Activison buying the right to BG&E* know what scratch that I'll buy rayman.
Silicon Knights doesn't have the rights to Eternal Darkness. Nintendo does since they published it. Also I saw the sales for that game and they were abysmal compared to what Nintendo could put that money in otherwise. Though Nintendo could just oh say advertise a game that they didn't make for once and stop complaining about the lack of 3rd party support on their consoles.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
80Maxwell08 said:
IceStar100 said:

Silicon Knights doesn't have the rights to Eternal Darkness. Nintendo does since they published it. Also I saw the sales for that game and they were abysmal compared to what Nintendo could put that money in otherwise. Though Nintendo could just oh say advertise a game that they didn't make for once and stop complaining about the lack of 3rd party support on their consoles.
Learned something new I though ED was owned by Silicon Knight. That is depressing it was really a fun game. Alwell more samey plot Zeldas and Sticking Mario in everything. Does Mario even remember he was a plumber once.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
80Maxwell08 said:
IceStar100 said:

Can Nintendo really blame anyone but themselves?

The gamecube had a really great line-up of "mature" (read: violent horror) games but the system was marketed as the console friendly for kids. I mean that fucking ELC-purple-plastic, all the marketing. Remember back in 2003 gamecube was bitterly derided for sticking with a "just for kidz" image that the industry and audience really wanted to move on from.

Now the Gamecube really had great games that really only a mature gamer could appreciate, but it marketed itself too much into the niche left by PS2 and Xbox going towards the adolescent and young adult demographic.

So people didn't have faith in a gamecube game like Eternal Darkness being a great cthullu horror game... as it clahsed so much with the image that Nintendo was trying to sell that was and extremely narrow vision indeed.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
SOLD!!!

And no one is leaving my store without a copy too. Everyone should experience this Rayman, since it's the closest thing to the wonder of the original game. The promise of BG&E2 is just gravy/

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Wait what?
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!
This dya just gets BETTER!

AND IT'S ONLY 9:22 AM!
:p

Can't wait for this, also 'Yeah rayman looks alright...' BUT BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL! :D
(I do love me some Rayman though)