The Simpsons Skewer Videogames at "E4"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Simpsons Skewer Videogames at "E4"

Homer and family visited the Expensive Electronic Entertainment Expo last weekend.

It's OK to admit that you haven't watched a Simpsons episode in a while. I used to watch the show incessantly in college, but that was the 90s and the internet hadn't yet provided us with non-stop hilarity. Despite conflict [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113472-Fox-Threatens-Simpsons-Cast-Take-Pay-Cut-or-Die] between the six major voice actors and the Fox network over salaries, The Simpsons is in its 23rd season and still going strong satirizing all facets of our culture. The bulk of last Sunday's episode "The Food Wife" makes fun of foodies, but the opening segment has Homer, Bart and Lisa attending E4 to see the latest game titles like Grand Theft Scratchy: Itchy City Stories, Dig Dug Revelations, Earthland 2: The Outing of the Realms, Shaun White: Time Snowboarder, World of Krustcraft, TMTOMO, HTMFL, and DL2L2D.

[gallery=545]

I haven't seen the episode - damn my wife for setting the DVR to record Sister Wives instead - but these pictures are all spot on. I would totally play Guts of War II: Entrails of Intestinox.

The funniest bit was Marching Band. The concept of a Kinect game where you march in rhythm to John Philip Sousa while holding a tuba is just plausible enough to be real. It's just icing on the cake that the game actually makes you study for 12 hours on the bus-trip back home. What an accurate simulation of being in band!

Oh Simpsons, maybe you are still funnier than Family Guy and South Park. Maybe.

Source: GameSetWatch [http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/11/the_simpsons_check_out_the_lat.php]

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Funnier than Family Guy? More than likely, seeing as how that show is going (HINT: not well). At the same time though that's like comparing a rotten orange with a rotten durian, both aren't any good but at least one wont hurt you to handle.
Funnier than South Park? I have challenged people to fisticuffs for far lesser things!

But anyways, for some reason when I saw the human centipede picture, the only thing I thought to myself was "I'm surprised no one (at least to my knowledge) has made a human centipede game" That isn't to say I would want to play it or I want to see it, I'm just surprised no one has attempted it.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Uhhh, can someone explain that Assassin's Creed picture?
I really don't get it and while part of me doesn't want to, it's gonna get on my nerves all day so I must know

Rhys95

May 16, 2011
Baron von Blitztank said:
I really don't get it and while part of me doesn't want to, it's gonna get on my nerves all day so I must know
Basically It's an Assassin's Creed game set in the 60s.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Oh Simpsons, maybe you are still funnier than Family Guy and South Park. Maybe.
Overall funnier than Family Guy? Hh yes.

Overall funnier than South Park? Perhaps.

Better gaming related jokes than South Park? Noooooo.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Eternal_Lament said:
But anyways, for some reason when I saw the human centipede picture, the only thing I thought to myself was "I'm surprised no one (at least to my knowledge) has made a human centipede game" That isn't to say I would want to play it or I want to see it, I'm just surprised no one has attempted it.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100909-The-Human-Centipede-Receives-Video-Game-Tribute-Parody

Old news, Lament.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
E4!! Get it everyone? E4! Aren't we just so witty!?

Honestly- people still watch the Simpsons anymore? That's news to me...

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Rhys95 said:
That kind of helps, but I'm still only half getting the joke now

supernovashadow

Apr 2, 2010
The Simpsons is definitely still funnier than Family Guy but probably not South Park. I only watch a few episodes per season anymore but it does seem like The Simpsons is getting better than it was a few years ago. I'm hoping they've realized they're funnier when they're not trying to be like Family Guy (jokes everywhere, no cohesion, no point, usually no laughter) and can come up with different stories than Homer doing something stupid and trying to earn Marge's forgiveness for the millionth time.

Also I would totally play Shaun White: Time Snowboarder.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Rhys95 said:
That kind of helps, but I'm still only half getting the joke now
It's set in the 60s and he's dressed as a hippie. The hippie message - make love not war - doesn't really mesh with the whole assassin thing, hashish notwithstanding.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I missed it at first glance too, at the bottom of the pic it says summer of love, making the game Assassins Creed: Summer of Love, so an Assassins Creed in the 60's, which I would totally play

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Squilookle said:
E4!! Get it everyone? E4! Aren't we just so witty!?

Honestly- people still watch the Simpsons anymore? That's news to me...
...I don't think E4 was an actual joke, they couldn't call it E3 but they wanted you to know what it was, hence E4, not that you can't like the show, but you can't really call it on being unfunny by pointing out something that isn't supposed to be funny

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Eternal_Lament said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100909-The-Human-Centipede-Receives-Video-Game-Tribute-Parody

Old news, Lament.
...Huh, seems I stand corrected. Definitely not what I expected a Human Centipede game to be (thank goodness for that)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
This episode was quite good, but I liked last week's episode better. They did however create some good gaming jokes in the intro section. And even though most here seem to be complaining without even watching the episode first, they have caught the annoyance with games being too short and publishers hyping them up beforehand. There's even a WiiU joke in there.

FilipJPhry said:
Funniest part of this episode: Angry Birds demolishing a children's orphanage
And all the people around cheering and clapping. I loved that part-