Modern Warfare 3 Bans Depend on "Douchiness of the Offense"

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011

According to its creative strategist, Infinity Ward is tailoring MW3 bans to suit all kinds of misbehavior.

This week hasn't been a great one for bans [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114273-Questions-Still-Swirl-Around-EAs-Origin-Bans] so far. Now, in an incidental attempt to remind us of the value of even-handed justice, Infinity Ward creative strategist Robert Bowling has revealed the nature of the ban-scale used by his studio's security teams.

"Every ban [is] unique to the level of douchiness of the offense," he said on Twitter [https://twitter.com/#!/fourzerotwo/status/137327656420122624]. "The greater the douche the greater the length [of the ban]. PermaDouche possible."

"Any attempt to cheat, hack or glitch in MW3 will not be tolerated," he continued. This hard stance against cheating covers all platforms, with Bowling claiming that his team has issued "1600+" ban notices since the game went live, using information sent to them by concerned, probably non-cheating players using MW3's report system.

For general illumination, players can report others via the game lobby, where the option to report someone should appear if you click their username. This report is then sent directly to Infinity Ward's security team, who try to properly verify the claim before issuing the ban. "We verify reports with in-game stats, in-game video recordings, and other data to verify you were cheating," added Bowling.

None of this should come as a surprise; it was Bowling himself, after all, who announced the plans for MW3's dedicated anti-cheat teams back in September [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113334-Modern-Warfare-3-Getting-Dedicated-Anti-Cheating-Teams]. Still, it is pleasing to see that Infinity Ward's security has both a mostly-balanced reports system and a tailored ban-severity scale. Take that, guy-who-kept-shooting-me-from-beneath-the-scenery! Justice. Oh, sweet justice.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-21-infinity-ward-bans-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-cheaters]

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Azo Galvat said:
So, why are there still people running around with Xbox buttons in their clan tag?
They can't ban everyone at once, i think a complaint has to be made or a MOD has to see it.

OT: Good news, at least this COD is actually been monitored better than the others...

I feel so sorry for COD4...Used to be such a good game =\

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
arc1991 said:
Azo Galvat said:
So, why are there still people running around with Xbox buttons in their clan tag?
They can't ban everyone at once, i think a complaint has to be made or a MOD has to see it.

OT: Good news, at least this COD is actually been monitored better than the others...

Because saying so means they'll do it. Promises are literally never broken. (Ask West and Zampella)

I have no faith they'll do any better monitoring this game than the last two.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
arc1991 said:
Still is if you have it on a computer.
We not only have mods for our dedicated servers but also can set our own rules... like no marty >.>

---------------------

Good for everyone.
As we on computers can now have dedicated servers again (but no experience gained, but everything unlocked >.>) this won't affect me much but, good for everyone else.

I'll assume that racism can now actually get someone banned, which is good.

Richard Keohane

Dec 11, 2010
There really was little to no attempt to police the community with MW2. They just tried to patch as many exploits as possible and while I heard that people were banned for joining Prestige 10 servers I still saw lots of people get away with it.

If they're trying to make a good faith effort to improve user experience, then even if they fail it's still a step in the right direction.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Azo Galvat said:
Those aren't hacks/mods. They were purposely added in the game because you can just enter a certain few characters and you will get those buttons. You don't have to hack it in, anyone can do it. Anyone.

That's why I believe it's not going to get patched and people aren't going to be banned for that. And that pisses me off.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
The only problem I see is people have different opinions of what is right and wrong, also how bad something is. Also, a PermaBan for something they paid full price for will surely lead to trouble.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Hevva said:

According to its creative strategist, Infinity Ward is tailoring MW3 bans to suit all kinds of misbehavior.

This week hasn't been a great one for bans [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114273-Questions-Still-Swirl-Around-EAs-Origin-Bans] so far. Now, in an incidental attempt to remind us of the value of even-handed justice, Infinity Ward creative strategist Robin Bowling has revealed the nature of the ban-scale used by his studio's security teams.

"Every ban [is] unique to the level of douchiness of the offense," he said on Twitter [https://twitter.com/#!/fourzerotwo/status/137327656420122624]. "The greater the douche the greater the length [of the ban]. PermaDouche possible."

"Any attempt to cheat, hack or glitch in MW3 will not be tolerated," he continued. This hard stance against cheating covers all platforms, with Bowling claiming that his team has issued "1600+" ban notices since the game went live, using information sent to them by concerned, probably non-cheating players using MW3's report system.

For general illumination, players can report others via the game lobby, where the option to report someone should appear if you click their username. This report is then sent directly to Infinity Ward's security team, who try to properly verify the claim before issuing the ban. "We verify reports with in-game stats, in-game video recordings, and other data to verify you were cheating," added Bowling.

None of this should come as a surprise; it was Bowling himself, after all, who announced the plans for MW3's dedicated anti-cheat teams back in September [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113334-Modern-Warfare-3-Getting-Dedicated-Anti-Cheating-Teams]. Still, it is pleasing to see that Infinity Ward's security has both a mostly-balanced reports system and a tailored ban-severity scale. Take that, guy-who-kept-shooting-me-from-beneath-the-scenery! Justice. Oh, sweet justice.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-21-infinity-ward-bans-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-cheaters]

I'm fairly sure his name is Robert. But I may be wrong. I don't actually play the games.

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
teh_gunslinger said:
You're absolutely right, sorry about that! His proper name should appear above soon. Thanks for pointing it out.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
The only problem I see is people have different opinions of what is right and wrong, also how bad something is. Also, a PermaBan for something they paid full price for will surely lead to trouble.
How can you have an "opinion" on what is cheating? ARE YOU CHEATING? Then it's wrong, and you should be permanently banned.

What pisses me off are temporary bans. What exactly does that accomplish? In a week the guy is back online cheating again. Bans should be permanent for ANY sort of cheats, hacks, or obviously abusing glitches (getting under the map, etc.). Anything short of a permanent ban simply does no good.

If you didn't want to get banned, you wouldn't have been cheating. You paid $60 and got banned in first 2 weeks? Too damn bad. Next CoD game, maybe you won't be such a douche.

Sep 14, 2009
Comando96 said:
arc1991 said:
We not only have mods for our dedicated servers but also can set our own rules... like no marty >.>
i have never seen why there is so much grief over martydom, all you have to do is not run over their dead body like an idiot for a couple seconds, and that perk is utterly useless. Sure if it was the only problem with the game, then it might be a valid complaint, but juggernaut whores generally are at a greater advantage than martydom users are, as are plenty of other complaints.

(i was thinking of getting cod4 for the pc..but if that's what people grief over than meh i'll pass..)

OT: good that they are "saying" they are doing this, only time will tell if they keep to it and keep banning people for fairly logical concerns.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
His name's Robert Bowling, not Robin Bowling.

OT: Well, as long as this doesn't affect my gameplay, it's fine by me.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
If you're cheating or hacking or whatever in the game itself, you deserve to be banned from that game, $60 or no. It's not like they're banning you from every single one of their games because you misbehaved on a forum, right EA? They're banning you from the one game where you were blatantly breaking the rules. Perfectly fair.

gmaverick019 said:
i have never seen why there is so much grief over martydom, all you have to do is not run over their dead body like an idiot for a couple seconds, and that perk is utterly useless. Sure if it was the only problem with the game, then it might be a valid complaint, but juggernaut whores generally are at a greater advantage than martydom users are, as are plenty of other complaints.
Sounds like all the Second Chance whining in Black Ops. Oh noez, so hard to take note if you didn't get the proper notifications and points for a kill and keep shooting if you didn't. Second Chance was an utterly useless perk if you took a single extra second to PAY ATTENTION.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Hevva said:
teh_gunslinger said:
You're absolutely right, sorry about that! His proper name should appear above soon. Thanks for pointing it out.
Any time. It was an easy mistake to make. I've made plenty worse in the heat of battle myself.

I rather think I should apologize for my huge quote just to point out a typo but I really found it too much work to edit out all the html markings and whatnot. It was keeping me from Skyrim. :D

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
Comando96 said:
arc1991 said:

(i was thinking of getting cod4 for the pc..but if that's what people grief over than meh i'll pass..)

OT: good that they are "saying" they are doing this, only time will tell if they keep to it and keep banning people for fairly logical concerns.
The game's a lot more fast paced on the PC, by miles. Stuff like Martyrdom, which causes people to avoid moving around rapidly, causes irritation because it causes slower-paced gameplay. People find campers irritating and Martyrdom causes camping. Not just that, but on a 24/32 player server there are enough grenades going around without even more falling out of someone's arse when they die.