Obsidian Unveils South Park RPG

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Obsidian Unveils South Park RPG

Obsidian Entertainment, the company that gave us Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, is working on a South Park RPG.

No, it's not April, and yes, this is serious, at least according to GameInformer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/12/01/cover-reveal-south-park.aspx], which plastered this unexpected bit of news on the cover of its January print issue. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are writing the script, performing dialog and overseeing the development of a full-on South Park RPG in collaboration with THQ and Obsidian.

Details are unsurprisingly scant at this point but the game will reportedly put players in the shoes of the new kid in town, where he'll have to make friends and defend South Park from "a wide range of threats." The new game is expected to come out sometime in 2012 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

And now we've reached the moment at which I admit that I'm baffled by this idea. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with a South Park RPG, I suppose, but it just doesn't seem like the sort of thing that the studio responsible for South Park [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knights-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B00027CXEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322761987&sr=8-1]? I did not see that coming.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
There is no possible way this will work out. It just does not fit together.
It's gonna be a shitty cash-grab. And we all know it.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
On the one hand, it's Obsidian, so it should be great. On the other hand, it's a South Park RPG. A South Park RPG. I have mixed feelings about this.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
On the one hand, it's Obsidian, so it should be a buggy piece of garbage. On the other hand, it's a South Park RPG. So... if it were being made by almost anybody else, I'd definately have bought it.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
theriddlen said:
There is no possible way this will work out. It just does not fit together.
It's gonna be a shitty cash-grab. And we all know it.
I would agree with this, if it wasn't for the fact that Trey Parker and Matt Stone are writing the script, and doing the voice acting and all the stuff...

If anything, im sure the story will be good with them writing it, and maybe we will get a few musical numbers.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
It has the potential to be horrible or it could be over the top insanely awesome, I'm hoping for the latter.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I remember having a lot of fun with the N64 South Park shooter. Then again, I was about 10 when that came out.

edit: 2000 posts yeah! Further showing my age: Not only do I remember playing a game by Acclaim, but I remember when 2000 posts was a rare sight.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
With the exception of Chef's Luv Shack, I've enjoyed every South Park game I've every played so I'm not going to write this one off just yet.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I actually had to check my calendar for a second there.

...it definitely ISN'T April, right?

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
When I saw this I just yelled "What the........FUCK?!". I mean, I don't see how it would work out, even on paper. But anyway, hopefully if it's actually done then it'll be decent. It better be. South Park is my favorite show.