BioWare Launches Mass Effect 3 Combat Video

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Launches Mass Effect 3 Combat Video

The latest BioWare Pulse video takes a look at some of the improved combat features of Mass Effect 3.

You're going to have to skip ahead to about the 1:45 spot in this video to get to the good stuff [unless you want to sit through the mid-November Mass Effect 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114286-Mass-Effect-3-Collectors-Edition-Video-Shows-Off-the-Doggie] battlefield action.

The new game will boast a number of combat improvements over its predecessors. Engineers will be able to deploy sentries that can be used to help flank enemies, while Vanguards have a new power called Nova, a "high-risk, high reward" maneuver that puts nearby enemies down in a hurry. Each class will also bring a new "heavy melee" move to the party, and for those moments when discretion and subtlety is called for, a new Krogan shotgun has been added to the mix. That sounds like it'll be right up my alley; I don't have anything against powers or biotics, but Krogans and Turians tend to figure prominently in my trips planetside.

Mass Effect 3 is set to come out on March 6, 2012, for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

The Dutchess

Feb 24, 2011
Can't wait to use my omnitool blade ... I'm an Infiltrator to the core so I'm hoping I can do Kasumi's little vanishing trick and slice and dice em! Come on Mass Effect 3! It is looking damn good.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Great. Now can we talk about how they're improving the RP experience? Guys? Hello? Anyone? Beu... awe fuck it. *grumbles in corner*

Apr 28, 2008
Oh good, more news about Mass Effect 3's combat. Because we obviously haven't heard enough about it yet.

Come on Bioware, can't you talk about something other than combat for once? Please?

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
sir.rutthed said:
Great. Now can we talk about how they're improving the RP experience? Guys? Hello? Anyone? Beu... awe fuck it. *grumbles in corner*
HOHH HAAH HEH HEH HEH

Improve the RP experience?! Make an actual good decision?! Are you MAD?!

Sleepingzombie

Dec 7, 2009
I liked the combat in ME 1 and felt ME 2 changed the style and didnt do it good enough. . .from this impression I am not so eagerly anticipation ME3. Also the style of the PR of the vid could have, in my opinion, been used less. . . .used-car-salesman-over-the-top-cheer.

But I guess this style is what most gamers want, so who am I to judge.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Erm... the testers need to clean their desks. There's crumbs and TISSUES on their desks. I think I saw a bottle of lotion too.

OT: Least the combat looks decent. Now, how about the RPG elements?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
nice enviroments!
but seriously things are hotting up for next march

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Irridium said:
Oh good, more news about Mass Effect 3's combat. Because we obviously haven't heard enough about it yet.

Come on Bioware, can't you talk about something other than combat for once? Please?
I feel the same way. But to be fair, when the story was leaked it was a disaster. Maybe they are focusing on showing off the combat for a reason.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
People keep saying "Yeah, we've heard enough about the combat, why do they keep talking about it?"

Well gee whiz guys, let's see. What was the main thing that people kept complaining about in ME2? Combat. What is Bioware taking pains to show people will be good this time around? Combat. This is a no-brainer here.

The story stuff will probably wind up being virtually the same as ME2, and I'm okay with that. It was a good system (even though it could have used more of those insta-choice things.)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
The only thing worth noticing for me was the fact that this was shown using the PC version of the game. Which gave me an augmented boner. I love Mass Effect.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
That looked awesome, I just hope the rest of the experience can live up to the combat this time around. If it can then I may well marry and have my children by this game.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
This looks really good. I particularly like the way the incorporate the barrier management aspect of Vanguard gameplay into the new ability - it looks like they really thought about how to create new abilities that dovetail well with the way people already play.

However,

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
when the story was leaked it was a disaster. Maybe they are focusing on showing off the combat for a reason.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I only hope my sniper doesn't feel like playing a close range corridor shooter. I loved how in ME 1 I could have a stealth sniper and an in your face engineer and they both worked. Bring back my sniper and I will be happy.

It is bad when my sniper uses the sniper rifle and her skills only when she can get the enemy more than 7 feet away. Yay a chance to use the gun I am good with! Wait why are my ai friends blowing my cover?

Jan 27, 2011
OOOOHHH! I'm happy about this! I like the new additions!

I did notice that it took that De-shielded guardian a second to think about climbing OVER that cover, though...hopefully that will be fixed in the final game.

Aside from that, it's looking good!