Buffy's Hubby Joins Mass Effect 3 Cast

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Buffy's Hubby Joins Mass Effect 3 Cast

Freddie Prinze, Jr. will stand by Shepard's side as muscle-bound military man James Vega.

Mass Effect 3's voice cast already boasts some pretty impressive names (Tricia Helfer, Seth Green, Martin Sheen, Adam Baldwin, and Claudia Black just to name a few), but up until now, most have been carry-overs from the previous two games. Still, it was only a matter of time before Bioware started introducing players to the new blood, and it looks Sarah Michelle Gellar's husband, actor Freddie Prinze, Jr., is the first on its list.

As the Illusive Man once said, it's important that Commander Shepard be "surrounded with the brightest, the toughest, the deadliest allies" around, so who better than Fred from the Scooby Doo movie Freddie Prinze, Jr. as James Vega! You might remember Mr. Vega, a soldier who knows nothing of intergalactic politics, from a reveal last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111695-BioWare-Unveils-New-Muscle-Bound-Mass-Effect-3-Character] by Bioware's Casey Hudson in celebration of reaching 10,000 followers on Twitter.

Prinze, Jr. speaks a little about his role In the Bioware featurette below, mentioning that "sometimes you just want to be evil," and that "sometimes you want to punch somebody." Based on what we've seen of James "I Just Vacuumed All the Air Out of My T-Shirt" Vega, and Mr. Prinze, Jr.'s comments, it seems pretty clear that Shepard's new companion will be more interested in braining than brains when he joins your party come March 6th.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/21/freddie-prinze-jr-to-voice-mass-effect-3s-james-vega/#continued]

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
You know I could say a lot about this fact... but I think I'll let Noah "Spoony One" Antwiler do it for me. You know what I'm talking about:

<youtube=LbfEbgGwbHY>

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
I'm actually against having "big name" voice talent that doesn't significantly add to the story. Why can't we get people who just sound really like them to do it for cheaper? So we can get these game budgets under control, and not have the game industry turn into a depraved spendathon like Hollywood.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I was going to post that Spoony bit, but you beat me to it. Is the marketing department that starved for attention?
Now if they had gotten Abe Golfarb, then that would have been something.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Hammeroj said:
That face couldn't have been made douchier if they tried.

On a positive note, Freddie Prinze, Jr. is... Someone I've never heard of. Yeah, this guy's not anywhere close to Michael Sheen or Seth Green.
Do you mean Martin Sheen?

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
At first I was feeling something that could be generously described as "confusion" when I saw this announcement on the Bioware site (glad to see I wasn't the only one who flashed back to Spoony's Wing Commander). However after watching the interview and seeing Mr. Prince's genuine excitement for the game and his character I'm actually looking forward to getting to know Vega in ME3, when before I honestly couldn't have cared less about him really.

I am however a little concerned at how the boxing scene is going to play out with femshep..

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Hammeroj said:
scnj said:
Hammeroj said:
That face couldn't have been made douchier if they tried.

On a positive note, Freddie Prinze, Jr. is... Someone I've never heard of. Yeah, this guy's not anywhere close to Michael Sheen or Seth Green.
Do you mean Martin Sheen?
Martin. Yeah, I knew Michael sounded wrong. Bad brain, bad!
It's an easy mistake. Michael Sheen is a critically acclaimed British actor who has won a fair amount of accolades in recent years. And Freddie Prinze is certainly not anywhere close to Michael, either.

OT: I love that Freddie called them "henchmen." It's wrong, and yet it totally also fits, especially if Shepard is playing the evil route.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
----List of people who are going to die in ME3----
1. James Vega

----List of people who I will never assign to an away party unless they die-----
1. James Vega

Yea, I've got my list ready.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I couldn't care less about that douche bag, but after watching that interview, I somehow wanted to see more of this guy, but I think it will be a bit more like Jacob, that nobody wanted to choose him, maybe just to kill him for the lulz.

Damn EA, you're making my decision pretty hard. I'm still boycotting your games.

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Prinze, Jr. speaks a little about his role In the Bioware featurette below, mentioning that "sometimes you just want to be evil," and that "sometimes you want to punch somebody." Based on what we've seen of James "I Just Vacuumed All the Air Out of My T-Shirt" Vega, and Mr. Prinze, Jr.'s comments, it seems pretty clear that Shepard's new companion will be more interested in braining than brains when he joins your party come March 6th.
To be fair, you pulled the most "DudeBro" comments out of that 4 minute interview. He also mentioned how all the events that Vega lives through do eventually catch up with him, and the player will see how he manages to stay sane, "Hurt Locker" style. I'm willing to trust BioWare on this one; they will find a way to make him deeper than the Jersey Shore space marine he appears to be.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
So he's a marine with manly-man ideals and manly-man muscles? What is this, Gears of War? I think I'll be in the captain's quarters with Liara... Please hold all my messages.

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
Kaiden, Jacob, and Vega standing in a room together would probably implode the universe with sheer dullness.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Panayjon said:
Kaiden, Jacob, and Vega standing in a room together would probably implode the universe with sheer dullness.
It's a shame you can only have one of them get whacked by a nuclear bomb... *Cough*

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Panayjon said:
I'm probably the only one who does, but I actually like Kaiden and Jacob, and am starting to warm up to Vega. They aren't my favorites in the series, but I still like them. *shrug*

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
The image in the article looks like a (mostly) shaved gorilla. I've been trying for the last 5 minutes to decipher the look on his face, and I still have no clue...

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
The image in article looks old. Comparing to mostly head shot on mass effect wiki for characters profile page the tattoo on neck is different design slightly.