A Boy and His iPad

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
It's a tablet PC. Tablet PCs have been around for ages, there's nothing special about the iPad. It's not revolutionary, it has medium-low specs for a tablet PC, it's ugly, it's made by apple... There's no reason for the hype!

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Some of the people I know have returned it already. They were not satisfied with the random freezing of youtube videos, the inability to use flash, and a few of the bugs that made the experience less than enjoyable.

One of the three that returned it (I know a four people who stood in line) really hated the touch-screen keyboard. The others said it wasn't much different than any of their other touch screen stuffs.

Personally, I like to touch things for typing. I've tried using one of those roll-out keyboards and, other than the general crap nature of the keyboard, I just couldn't stand having to look at the keyboard to type.

I guess it also matters that I don't type with ASDF JKL;.

Jim From Accounting

Mar 10, 2010
im still disappointed when i her apple where making a tablet i dident expect an oversized ipod
i mean really has apple actually broken any barriers in the computer world (that im aware off)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Was it too hard to make a multi-touch keyboard? I thought Apple's engineers were supposed to be the best of the best. Surely a multi touch was possible.

Perhaps in 6 weeks when the release iPad 2.0 it will have a multi touch, thats the buisness model for Apple yeah? Put out a stripped down version of what you really wanted to do then 6 weeks later release the one you really wanted to?

Even if there isn't and someone makes an app for it, odds are Grand Master Steve will have it pulled because someone down here in the real world thought they could do better than his Elites.

For the record, it sounds like I dont like Apple. Thing is, I do like them. I just don't like their buisness model and engineering practices.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I'm waiting until the optical fiber/100 mb providers become widely-used to buy any of these Internet-able products...

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
So, it sounds like an iPod Touch, looks like an iPod Touch and works like an iPod Touch. Excuse me while I go out on a limb and say it's an iPod Touch.

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
Never understood the...fanaticism over Apple products. They remind me of 200 dollar whores: they come with a lot of caveats and addendums, their pimp never lets you do with them as much as you'd like, and their cheap beauty lasts only until you use them.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
As an admitted Apple fanboy, I'm happy to see that the iPad is enjoyable to use. Obviously, it won't live up to the hype, because Steve Jobs is some sort of enthusiasm warlock who can take dog shit and convince us that it's made of diamond. That said, I only plan on getting one after a few upgrades and price drops. Never been much of an early adopter.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
I am still not sure what the big deal is with people getting so excited about anything that is touch screen. Is this really such a useful feature?
I am not an anti-Apple person. Whatever floats your overpriced boat... but I've worn glasses for a majority of my life, and I HATE trying to look through smudges or fingerprints on a surface you need to see through. IPhones are the same way... I think it is personally gross to see a bunch of greasy finger and hand prints all over the face of something.
Is wireless internet that big of a problem for people? Or am I wrong about what it costs for data rates on a 3G or other cellular service? I know a lot of people who got really taken to the cleaners on cell bills after their first month with a smart device of any sort that didn't take advantage of a wireless network.

I'm glad someone was happy with their purpose. The IPad does have a niche in the market, albeit not exactly a very significant one. It just appears to me that the IPad is all the trappings of a barebones netbook built into just the monitor. Yeah, it's nice that it saves space and whatnot, but how long will it take the average person to make it look like that screen was attacked by a rabid greasy cat? Anyone who owns a DS or DSi for a few weeks will easily tell you that the touchscreen ends up looking similar to the surface of a cutting board in short order, regardless how gentle you try to be with it. But if you've got the money and the interest in the device, more power to you.

Good article, but it was a little light on the details of how it actually performed in the hands of someone who wasn't on the IPad dev team.

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
Bah, waste of money... Buy an ipod instead, it does the same things, only with a smaller screen (And it fits in your pocket)

Amazon warrior

Jul 7, 2009
Insanum said:
Am i the only one that cant quite[/I] see what role the Ipad fills? I mean...Its...

Its shiny, Dont get me wrong, And its well marketed...But its the same as the iphone.

Its shiny, And sure, it has some redeeming features, But i cant see what the fuss is about. The Ipad is a (not particually powerful) Laptop thats also touch screen...Big woop?
Perhaps it's a case of "Build it first, then tell people how pointless their life will be without one later"?

Yeah, not a Mac fan here. I'm sure they're OK computers (although I prefer my home-build PC, thx), it's just the rabidness of 99% of all Mac-fans I've ever met that puts me off. NOTHING(!) is as awesome as some people try to make their latest Apple product sound. Sometimes I want to ask if it'll offer me tea and cunnilingus every morning too, just to see what they say.....

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
So, iPad.... A netbook PC with a simcard slot and 3G connectivity is a lot cheaper and more powerful (still not powerful enough for my needs- autocad, revit, max). And the point is??? The touchscreen? The shininess? The statement that you have money to burn?

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
Everyone seems to forget that the iPad was designed to compete with Amazon Kindle and the Nook, i.e. it is an e-reader.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
SikOseph said:
Flap Jack452 said:
Everyone seems to forget that the iPad was designed to compete with Amazon Kindle and the Nook, i.e. it is an e-reader.
But it's a terrible e-reader. It's backlit and doesn't compare to the e-ink stuff for eye-comfort.
I don't own one, but i thought the page turning thing looked pretty cool :D