A criticism of Bob Chipman

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Recently one of the channels the I subscribe to YouTube has uploaded a video about our resident film critic and pop culture man Moviebob. The question I wanna ask do any of you think the criticism levelled at Bob are actually warranted or is it just another YouTube video to add to the fodder. here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpy_SEeDZ4Y

CAPTCHA= shilly-shally
No words can describe how perplexed I am.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
28 seconds in, the youtuber misrepresents the content he is bashing. he starts with 'Bob says Bungie is racist,' and then follows it with a clip of bob saying 'that's some pretty scary unintentional symbolism there.'

Its nice when it only takes 28 seconds to dismiss something, particularly when its so gratingly voiced.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
AccursedTheory said:
28 seconds in, the youtuber misrepresents the content he is bashing. he starts with 'Bob says Bungie is racist,' and then follows it with a clip of bob saying 'that's some pretty scary unintentional symbolism there.'

Its nice when it only takes 28 seconds to dismiss something, particularly when its so gratingly voiced.
Strike one against Youtuber.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
AccursedTheory said:

To be fair. He didn't say Bob was claiming they were intentionally racist in the first place.

As for the video, Yeah, Bob isn't right about everything, and I don't really agree with him on... Pretty much anything, thus don't really watch his videos.

So, ultimately, it just seems like two opinions to me. I'd perhaps agree more with the Youtube guy, but, at the end of the day, neither of them is citing anything they're bringing up, so, take your pick which voice is less annoying to you.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Well he doesn't make an actual point until two and a half minutes in and the first actual critisim is that the sound editing has sped up his voice slightly. The horror, the horror.

He makes a couple of actual valid points at around the six minute mark but otherwise it's just not a very good video. And frankly a really bizarre point to take issue with.

Now Moviebob isn't beyond critique, far from it. He's nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is and nowhere near smart enough to justify the arrogance he displays. He's said alot of stupid things and should be called on them but this video really doesn't do a very good job of it.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Axolotl said:
Now Moviebob isn't beyond critique, far from it. He's nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is and nowhere near smart enough to justify the arrogance he displays. He's said alot of stupid things and should be called on them but this video really doesn't do a very good job of it.
Well, Bob himself sure seems to think he is beyond criticism. After all, there was that Game Overthinker episode (back when people actually watch that) where people criticised him for something he did in one episode (I can't remember what it was exactly, I think it may have been adding the stupid story to it, which admittedly did kill the whole show) and then the next he shot and killed the personification of his critics.

Honestly, I find myself disagreeing with Bob on a lot of stuff, and really the only thing which keeps me watching Big Picture is the occasional presentation about comics.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Bit sly him going after Bob for being fat. But some of his points are very valid.

Bob is a bit of an overtly liberal "progressionist" who constantly seems to be rolling his eyes at people who might not actually want change in some areas of games. Dismissing them as sexist or old fashioned. He seems to think his school of thought is a very big one. When in reality as the guy said not many people give two fucks about some of the stuff he seems to.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It's be nice if there was something other than "hey guys, here's a video...Thoughts?" going on here, buuuuuut....

AccursedTheory said:

I don't know, he starts off the video complaining that Bob Chipman exists. I'm pretty sure he took himself out of the running for "being taken seriously" at that point.

The Lunatic said:
To be fair. He didn't say Bob was claiming they were intentionally racist in the first place.
No, he just says that Bob pretty much calls them racist (he didn't) and then uses that to say Bob is really that stupid.

I would hope most people were capable of separating a racist act from being racist, so the intentional part still comes into play. That it's then used to call Bob stupid is also kind of a problem.

I don't know. I can't finish the video. Two minutes in and my head hurts. I don't particularly have any love for Bob, but this criticism of him just sounds like someone who's horribly upset by Bob's opinions and is throwing a tantrum. And there's a really strong Anita Sarkeesian parallel there, but I already feel dirty enough.

Spaggiari

Jan 28, 2009
Whether or not you agree with Bob's various stances, this is not the guy to rally behind. There was not a single good point made in this video. He also manages to argue against himself at least once. I found myself responding to this guy's points with either 'So what?' or 'You missed the point'. I cannot bring myself to say more on 6 minutes of pointless nonsense.

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
"It is written that only Link can defeat bigotry" had me chuckling madly.

Coming from the bias of already hating MovieBob and the over-saturation of his content on this website, I liked the video. Not the most objective and well written critique of the man, but no 6 minute youtube video could be.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Axolotl said:
Well he doesn't make an actual point until two and a half minutes in and the first actual critisim is that the sound editing has sped up his voice slightly. The horror, the horror.

He makes a couple of actual valid points at around the six minute mark but otherwise it's just not a very good video. And frankly a really bizarre point to take issue with.

That video seems to be the video equivalent of the Anita Sarkessian critics who say "U SUK! Double Dragon wasn't Sexist! She got to break the end boss who kidnapped her in half in the credits, getting the ultimate revenge on him! U SHUD GET RAEPED!" You kind of scratch your head, wondering how this guy could be so idiotic for the beginning and end, then make a passable and actually arguable point in the middle.

animeh1star1a

Nov 7, 2012
the youtuber is an opinionated jackass with the apathy attitude to analysis, in that if the persevered problem isn't solved, small steps aren't worth taking and it's a waste of time. Bob is overly analytical, but that's how analysis works. You will often go deeper then was intended to find meaning in something that would be meaningless without the second look (or 3rd and 4th look, as is often the requirement for poetry). This youtuber mocks analysis without giving any reason why. He says, "look how stupid this is" without giving a reason for why, as if it should be common knowledge. He also over exaggerates, but that's nitpicking.

The Youtuber also responds in such a way that his audience will agree or look favorably with him. He tries so hard to make his video funny while also seeming to be outraged, but he doesn't offer anything substantial. Bob at the very least will give you his opinion and tell you why he thinks that way, even if people will disagree with him (like how he praised Spiderman 3's Peter Parker dancing in public, while everyone else hated it).

Last but not least, the youtuber is an idiot... he's a kid who has no idea what he's talking about, with no knowledge into sociology, psychology, or gender studies. At best, he's a college freshmen, at worst he's a highschooler. His opinion, based on nothing but observation and reaction, has no weight and can (and probably should) be ignored. Also, most of his videos are about bashing feminist or people he disagrees with. You don't like adblock? you're an asshole. You think legos have been marketed almost exclusively to boys? You're more evil then hitler. This is someone who used the original Tropes vs Women backlash as a means to get views on youtube, and i have no respect for him; He jumped on a bandwagon. You can disagree with people, but if your reaction to a disagreement is to attack someone, giving them no ability to respond, and to never actually insert your opinion, then you are another unoriginal asshole trying to gain success by throwing shit at people, a TMZ wannabe.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
AccursedTheory said:

Well bob does read too far into things to find issues where there really aren't any, as critics are want to do, but on a social-justice level;

Like how Maleficent was a metaphor for rape and that evil isn't black and white, while Maleficent's antagonists were 1-dimensional assholes with no characterization... instead of Disney just wanting to get into the "kids stuff retold as dark gritty remakes for adults" Trend.

Or going off into a "violence towards women" tangent in Hanzel and Grettel, when the "women" were evil powerful monsters and witches that took a lot of effort to defeat and actually did evil things.

Those are just off the top of my head, so calling Bungie racists for the blue eyes thing might have been intentional if it wasn't a joke.

Macsen Wledig

Oct 4, 2013
Well, I'll never get those 6 minutes and 32 seconds back. Thanks OP.

Any criticism of Bob Chipman in that video is shallow and distasteful at best.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
verdant monkai said:
Bit sly him going after Bob for being fat.
While I haven't watched the video (nor will) and I don't want to defend/condone an attack on a person instead of their opinions, Bob himself, several years ago, "criticised" the gaming community for being fat and perpetuating the stereotype.

So i guess people in glass houses and all that.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Macsen Wledig said:
Well, I'll never get those 6 minutes and 32 seconds back. Thanks OP.

Can someone please point out the critique* of Bob Chipman in that video?

*a detailed analysis and assessment of something, especially a literary, philosophical, or political theory.
I got: "Wah, Bob is stupid, dumb, and shallow. Here's my video explaining that while being even more stupid, dumb, and shallow than Bob."

Bob isn't perfect (no one is) but that video certainly failed to convince me why Bob is "bad". Yes, I wasn't impressed, to say the least, by his E3 video. Yeah, I don't care about female Link nor do I think it would be that big a deal. I'm not really a "Social Justice Warrior" or anything close to that. And I certainly don't agree with Bob, all the time.

But that video just came across as angry and spiteful. I've seen videos decrying [she who shall remain unnamed] that were less angry and spiteful.

PS: Honestly, I couldn't tell you much about Link's horse riding posture, and I grew up around horses my whole life.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
If there was a critique of Bob Chipman, I must have missed it. I get that changing Link's sex is kind of stupid and that's it's a fucking video game and it won't be all that earth shaking, albeit controversial, but the commentator just comes off as a raging jackass that's fixated on a single video.

Bob's a little bit too... "progressive" for my tastes sometimes as well, but that's taking it way over the top.

EquestrianGeneral

Jun 22, 2012
Agreeing with the "28 seconds in" comments. He compares Bob to Chernobyl, then proceeds to over-exaggerate a comment that Bob made years ago and says, "Yeah, he's that fucking dumb."

I had a longer comment explaining my thoughts, but this immature asshole isn't worth my time. If he's trying to "criticize" Bob, or even make him look bad outright, he needs to NOT make himself look WORSE than the guy that he's verbally attacking.