A few thoughts about January 6, 2021

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I know there's also some discussion of a lot of the GOP(or former members) who very much despise him openly talking about forming a new Trump-free Republican Party. Which wouldn't win but would likely have a spoiler effect of drawing off more moderate conservatives to vote for them.
The aim is often not to succeed to creating a breakaway party, it's to threaten one credibly enough which the party must move towards in order to stop it breaking away. I would suggest a problem however is that it needs to heavily involve a grassroots component. Top-led breakaway factions have a habit of falling flat on their faces.

The issue of donors in an interesting one - they can fund an astroturf movement easily enough. I get the feeling that neoliberal donors have helped breed the monster that became Trumpism, and they're taking a look at the protectionism and anti-elitism that's against their agenda and thinking that monster needs to be put down.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
No, it would just torpedo the establishment.
Please tell me this is sarcasm?

Allowing a simply majority to ban people from federal office won't "torpedo the establishment." It'll "torpedo" everyone but the establishment.

And besides, there are enough progressives in the country to counter it.
Ok, now I know you're being sarcastic. Progressives are a minority in the country. We're talking like 10-20% of voters max.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Please tell me this is sarcasm?

Allowing a simply majority to ban people from federal office won't "torpedo the establishment." It'll "torpedo" everyone but the establishment.

Ok, now I know you're being sarcastic. Progressives are a minority in the country. We're talking like 10-20% of voters max.
They can't ban us all.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I am willing to bet you that Trump will not be the 2024 Republican nominee.

He may remain important, but I expect that to decline over the coming years. The cult-like fervour will die away over time now he's out of the headlines, and also there are a ton of Republican Party donors and operatives working at dismantling his grip on the party and over time that will bear fruit. Secondly, he's going to have go up against new blood who will have occupied similar ground but be less erratic.
Yeah, it won’t be Trump, it’ll just be a dude worse than Trump! Isn’t that better?

Reactions: Seanchaidh

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And should the racist have sufficiently showed black people, Jews or Asians their place or even got their ethnostate then its likely that the Italian and Spanish people will be due for a demotion.
That's the thing about movements based on hate. When you promise "your people" that everything will be better once "those people" are gone, but that fails to pass, you need to start broadening your definition of "those people", lest people start questioning you.

Perhaps, there's always the homeless or disabled people or someone else to hate on instead.
What do you mean "instead"? There's no passenger limit on the hate train.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
That's the thing about movements based on hate. When you promise "your people" that everything will be better once "those people" are gone, but that fails to pass, you need to start broadening your definition of "those people", lest people start questioning you.
That's why you make it more outlandish. Jewish Space Lasers. Once we have them under control, you notice how you're not being blasted from the Heavens by High Frequency Hebrew Heat? That's because we got them just in time. Listen to us sooner next time, or we might not have been able to help you...

What do you mean "instead"? There's no passenger limit on the hate train.
Forget new band name. That's the name of my Debut Single!

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah, it won’t be Trump, it’ll just be a dude worse than Trump! Isn’t that better?
That makes me think of Ted Cruz. It won't be Ted Cruz, he's a buffoon. But you can virtually see the (delusional) ambition rolling off him like a fog; he wants to be president so badly. You can see how, never the biggest hitter in the USA, he is steadily trying to ape Trump - but he's only ever going to come off as a pathetic Trump imitator. He's like the teen at a disco who's chasing after any girl he can, but not quite understanding they can all smell the stench of desperation the seond he says hello. Trump is at least authentic, even if that's authentically a pathological liar. Cruz wouldn't know authenticity if it were signed, fingerprinted, genetically identified and attested to unanimously by 100 expert witnesses. And what's with his hair? It looks like it's heading for a mullet, and I'm pretty sure that beard is just to cover up the double chin as he's looking distinctly portly now. Too many lobbyist-funded slap-up meals, I fear.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've just noticed through all of this, bitchboy Kayne West has actually kept his mouth shut and not defended Trump for once. The imbecile finally learned something. I still have negative infinity respect for the Uncle Ruckus, but it's a small spec of actually using his brain.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I've just noticed through all of this, bitchboy Kayne West has actually kept his mouth shut and not defended Trump for once. The imbecile finally learned something. I still have negative infinity respect for the Uncle Ruckus, but it's a small spec of actually using his brain.
He's probably too busy with his divorce to care about Trump.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

South Carolinian William Robert Norwood III is facing federal charges after allegedly telling a family member he assaulted and stole gear from police officers during the Capitol riot.
"I'm dressing in all black," Norwood wrote under the name "Robbie" on January 5, the day before the riot and insurrection, according to text messages cited in an FBI affidavit. "I'll look just like ANTIFA. I'll get away with anything."
After the riot on January 6, additional text messages obtained by the FBI show Norwood claimed he tested his theory.
"I got away with things that others were shot or arrested for," Norwood wrote, according to the affidavit.
Norwood repeatedly claimed in the text messages the only reason why police allowed him to assault him was because he was dressed like Antifa.
"I fought 4 cops, they did nothing," Norwood went onto say, according to the affidavit. "When I put my red hat on, they pepper balled me."
He also claimed that he witnessed Ashli Babbitt being shot, saying that the police officer, "allowed 'ANTIFA Trump supporters' to assault him."
Norwood went onto to claim that he was "one of them" that assaulted the officer.
Norwood has been charged with theft of government property, obstruction of Congress, disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds and knowingly entering a restricted building.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
He may remain important, but I expect that to decline over the coming years. The cult-like fervour will die away over time now he's out of the headlines
......*looks over at the religion corner of the room* *looks at his watch on how long they've been worried about a dude allegedly hammered to a few pieces of wood*

.....ok, well, good luck with that expectation. They have literally incorporated him into their religious zealotry, it will not end, it will only mutate and grow.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Literally nothing that dude said makes any sense given that the person who shot Babbit was a Secret Service agent who wasn’t assaulted by anyone.
Not to mention it's clearly been shown, from multiple protests across the US, that the police are MORE than happy to shoot into crowds with antifa, and don't do hardly anything to the redhat fuckwads.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Not to mention it's clearly been shown, from multiple protests across the US, that the police are MORE than happy to shoot into crowds with antifa, and don't do hardly anything to the redhat fuckwads.
That was obvious enough to not be worth addressing.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
Okay, you know what's really concerning to me in the aftermath of Jan. 6th? I mean yes, the whole thing is not great, but there's one specific thing of potentially massive implications that absolutely nobody has seemingly picked up on.

Mike Pence and the National Guard deployment. From the rather limited facts of the story I've picked up, mostly on the day of, it sounds like the decision to send the Guard in to control the riots was made by VP Pence and officers at the Pentagon who I can't be bothered to try looking up. On the face of it, and logically speaking, that seems like the right decision.

Problem: if that's what happened, it was massively illegal. From a constitutional and UCMJ perspective, Mike Pence didn't actually have the authority to give orders to anyone. Trump was legally still president at the time, and therefore commander-in-chief of the military, and from what I heard he spent most of the 6th actively refusing to do anything about the riot. Nothing happened to activate the succession list (there's a huge Continuity of Government chain of who's up for the presidency if the president dies or is removed from office), nobody invoked the 25th Amendment, and that's a serious issue.

Yet it's apparently being totally ignored and written off as "just another Trump fuckup".

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Okay, you know what's really concerning to me in the aftermath of Jan. 6th? I mean yes, the whole thing is not great, but there's one specific thing of potentially massive implications that absolutely nobody has seemingly picked up on.

Mike Pence and the National Guard deployment. From the rather limited facts of the story I've picked up, mostly on the day of, it sounds like the decision to send the Guard in to control the riots was made by VP Pence and officers at the Pentagon who I can't be bothered to try looking up. On the face of it, and logically speaking, that seems like the right decision.

Problem: if that's what happened, it was massively illegal. From a constitutional and UCMJ perspective, Mike Pence didn't actually have the authority to give orders to anyone. Trump was legally still president at the time, and therefore commander-in-chief of the military, and from what I heard he spent most of the 6th actively refusing to do anything about the riot. Nothing happened to activate the succession list (there's a huge Continuity of Government chain of who's up for the presidency if the president dies or is removed from office), nobody invoked the 25th Amendment, and that's a serious issue.

Yet it's apparently being totally ignored and written off as "just another Trump fuckup".
To me, this always read as the National Guard was very clearly backing one side over another.

The army did this too, explicitly being very one sided with their commentd which they never do

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I am probably in the wrong here, but isn't the local governor allowed to activate the National Guard? My understanding of events is that Pence and the Pentagon basically sent out a call for help to nearby states, all three of whom responded by activating their NG and sending a relief effort to DC.
You may be wrong (or right), but I'd hazard a guess that you're not in the wrong, as holding an incorrect understanding of who can request national guard intervention is not really a blameworthy offense.