A Formal Thread about Activision/Blizzard

Bartholomew

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2021
Gatekeeping is fundamentally a process of filtering what comes in, not throwing out trash once it has already been let in.

Thus appropriate to this, a gated property takes as basic concept that everyone else (without an invite) is to be excluded, with an implicit assumption that they are undesirable or malign. This is obviously different from a community that welcomes people in, but kicks them out once they prove themselves to be undesirable or malign.
If we're taking that as the definition of "gatekeeping", then I don't see how that can be achieved in the contexts of gaming communities, where the term is usually seen as a negative thing. How can communities tell who has an "invite" or not? How can they "deny entry" to someone during the "filtering" process?

It seems like this is impossible, so , I don't think your definition is correct as it usually applies to gaming communities. In essence, nobody is doing what you describe, because what you describe is impossible in the context of an online game or community that anybody can join at any time.

For those reasons, I don't see a difference between what furries do, and what gaming communities are accused of doing.

Whether you meet them at the door and remove them, if that were possible, or remove them later, what's the difference?
If you let in a Nazi, and only remove him once he does harm, is that better than never letting in the Nazi in the first place?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
If we're taking that as the definition of "gatekeeping"
It is the definition of gatekeeping. After all, once someone's already got through the gate, the gatekeeper is in the wrong place to do anything about them if they start drinking all your best whisky and urinating on the couch.

None of this changes that the analogy of a gated community for the furry community (as described) is fundamentally inappropriate.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Gatekeeping is fundamentally a process of filtering what comes in, not throwing out trash once it has already been let in.

Thus appropriate to this, a gated property takes as basic concept that everyone else (without an invite) is to be excluded, with an implicit assumption that they are undesirable or malign. This is obviously different from a community that welcomes people in, but kicks them out once they prove themselves to be undesirable or malign.
Yeah, it's bouncing, not gatekeeping

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bartholomew

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2021
It is the definition of gatekeeping. After all, once someone's already got through the gate, the gatekeeper is in the wrong place to do anything about them.
Okay then, if we're sticking to that, then every single accusation of "gatekeeping" as a dirty word is false, as actually doing so is impossible, and the people who accuse others of gatekeeping must therefore be delusional.

My only aim was to criticize the notion that gatekeeping is inherently a bad thing, but if conclusion is that gatekeeping is impossible, then I'm pleased with this outcome.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
My only aim was to criticize the notion that gatekeeping is inherently a bad thing, but if conclusion is that gatekeeping is impossible, then I'm pleased with this outcome.
No your intention was to start some shit and you got outwitted. Again.

Bartholomew

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2021
They gatekept 6 million jews to death. Fuck off.
That doesn't make any sense. You might as well just say "they _______ 6 million jews to death" and replace any verb you want in the blank, then say any use of that verb is a nazi tactic.

"they bounced 6 million jews to death, therefore furries use nazi tactics to protect their community"

Don't be so ridiculous as to compare what gaming communities supposedly do to what nazis did to jews. That's absurd and disrespectful.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Okay then, if we're sticking to that, then every single accusation of "gatekeeping" as a dirty word is false, as actually doing so is impossible, and the people who accuse others of gatekeeping must therefore be delusional.
I presume you don't actually mean "every single accusation" but some specific accusations - otherwise that statement is clearly untrue because gatekeeping in some situations clearly is possible and/or can be a bad thing.

Bartholomew

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2021
I presume you don't actually mean "every single accusation" but some specific accusations - otherwise that statement is clearly untrue because gatekeeping in some situations clearly is possible and/or can be a bad thing.
This website, when I signed up, needed my account to be manually approved by an administrator. Surely, this was an act of gatekeeping ( a nazi tactic?! Is this a nazi website according to some people?!) . So yes, it exists, it is just very rare. You or I would be hard-pressed to find an actual example in the wilds of twitter.

So unless the community actually requires someone else to verify your "credentials" before you can join, we agree that it's not a true act of gatekeeping, according to your definition?

Last edited:

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So unless the community actually requires someone else to verify your "credentials" before you can join, we agree that it's not a true act of gatekeeping, according to your definition?
As far as I can tell (and I could be wrong as I have not been paying much attention to this thread generally) no-one in this thread mentioned "gatekeeping" until you, which you did as a spin-off from an inappropriate analogy about gated communities. In other words, it seems to me you have magicked an irrelevant, digressive debate out of a straw man. What, exactly, is the purpose of this?

Bartholomew

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2021
As far as I can tell (and I could be wrong as I have not been paying much attention to this thread generally) no-one in this thread mentioned "gatekeeping" until you, which you did as a spin-off from an inappropriate analogy about gated communities. In other words, it seems to me you have magicked an irrelevant, digressive debate out of a straw man. What, exactly, is the purpose of this?
Like I said: "My only aim was to criticize the notion that gatekeeping is inherently a bad thing"

I brought up gatekeeping, because my, and I would argue, the colloquial, understanding of the term seemed to fit what Buyetyen described when he explained how furries police their own communities.

The argument could be summed up as: if furries gatekeep and you can applaud it, then you must also recognize that gatekeeping (what some people here called a "nazi tactic") is not inherently bad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Now to get this thread right back on track and ignoring whatever Bart puts out. Actual important stuff here.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Now to get this thread right back on track and ignoring whatever Bart puts out. Actual important stuff here.

What's "Temp Workers?"

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Is this related to that California proposition in the last election. I.e. reclassifying contract workers? (Pushed for mainly Uber and similar companies.) And it passed easily.

I seemed to remember thd prop renamed certain section of the workforce

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is this related to that California proposition in the last election. I.e. reclassifying contract workers? (Pushed for mainly Uber and similar companies.) And it passed easily.

I seemed to remember thd prop renamed certain section of the workforce
Unfortunately, I have no idea, as this is new info for me.