A Formal Thread about Activision/Blizzard

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Unfortunately, I have no idea, as this is new info for me.
I just wonder if it intersected somehow

I don't think Activision was in on the PAC that ran that prop. It was just lucky happenstance perhaps.

Didnt we have a thread on this? Anyone? My mind couldn't keep those details in my head

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
The argument could be summed up as: if furries gatekeep and you can applaud it, then you must also recognize that gatekeeping (what some people here called a "nazi tactic") is not inherently bad.
Gatekeeping bigots fanatics and creeps out of a group so everyone can feel welcome and safe = good.
Gatekeeping the racial or perceived ideological purity of a pastime or group based on questionable criteria = bad.
It's not that fucking mind-blowing a concept.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Gatekeeping bigots fanatics and creeps out of a group so everyone can feel welcome and safe = good.
Gatekeeping the racial or perceived ideological purity of a pastime or group based on questionable criteria = bad.
Make it even simpler: Gatekeeping the gatekeepers isn't illogical. The "Paradox of tolerance" being still in effect.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bartholomew

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2021
Yes, that is a good compliment to what I said.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I know this is a thread more about Blizzard's sins, but looking at all those developers working on CoD...Christ.

I don't know what's more depressing. That:

a) All those developers could be working on stuff other than CoD

b) CoD's become so bloated that it requires this level of development

c) That "all the eggs in one basket" is apparently enough to keep Activision afloat.

d) All of the above. :(

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
b) CoD's become so bloated that it requires this level of development
Considering CoD is the same fucking thing every year I wonder how "bloated" it could be to need that many devs. Does the gameplay between Cod's change that much. Sure new maps (which can be done with an editor no big deal, fans make their own maps with ease), new skins on guns or whatever, but isn't the core gameplay the same?

I wonder how much code gets reused each and every year. Because surely if they could cut the cost of development down by reusing the core code they are going to do it.

c) That "all the eggs in one basket" is apparently enough to keep Activision afloat.
They do own King which is the Candy Crush games and those games are still making hand over fist money every month.

Plus it's not like EA isn't doing the same thing with Fifa and Madden. Those two sports games account for the vast majority of the company's yearly revenue. And every year they are exactly the fucking same. God I'm dpressed now.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know this is a thread more about Blizzard's sins, but looking at all those developers working on CoD...Christ.
Activision is called the Call of Duty mines for a reason. Nothing lasts forever; the curtain will fall at some point. I do somewhat disagree with the author, most of the Call of Duty games on the list are not good. They're either average or just mediocre.

Considering CoD is the same fucking thing every year I wonder how "bloated" it could be to need that many devs. Does the gameplay between Cod's change that much. Sure new maps (which can be done with an editor no big deal, fans make their own maps with ease), new skins on guns or whatever, but isn't the core gameplay the same?

I wonder how much code gets reused each and every year. Because surely if they could cut the cost of development down by reusing the core code they are going to do it.

They do own King which is the Candy Crush games and those games are still making hand over fist money every month.

Plus it's not like EA isn't doing the same thing with Fifa and Madden. Those two sports games account for the vast majority of the company's yearly revenue. And every year they are exactly the fucking same. God I'm dpressed now.
I'm actually not depressed. They ain't worth getting depressed over. Screw them. The only thing that really sucked was that no other developer or publisher can use the NFL license since the mid-2000s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So 'ol Bobby hired a lawfirm called WilmerHale to review Actiblizz' policies and ensure it "promotes a respectful and inclusive workplace."
That name rung a bell, I'd heard it before in conjunction with another beloved tech company and well ...
So basically, yeah -

Reactions: Chimpzy

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Now to get this thread right back on track and ignoring whatever Bart puts out. Actual important stuff here.

I was just about to post on this. Holy shit, this is so not good. But also fuck 'em, if they're dumb enough to shred evidence in a Federal case, get fucked fuckos!

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Now to get this thread right back on track and ignoring whatever Bart puts out. Actual important stuff here.

What gets me here is that even bent lawyers know better than to do this, or know how to do it better if in fact you must. It’s not enough for them to be evil, they have to be stupid about it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Blizzard has come forward to announce that they will be changed the name of the Overwatch character Mcgree. Because the employee he was named after was one of the molesters. I doubt that a significant number of the playerbase knew that fact before this statement, but all of them know it now.

I'm torn because while this just seems to be a nothing burger of a gesture, much in the same way that removing NPC's in WoW was basically meaningless, though symbolic I guess. I think a lot of these things are the Blizzard employee's who are stuck in limbo just trying to do what they can to make things better. So while it does seem tone deaf in broader context, i think these moves are probably important for the internal morality of the company.