A game says f*** you

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
Ever have a moment in a game where it says fuck you? A moment where you feel the game was intentionally programmed to screw you over.

I've had that moment recently with Disgaea DS where im trying to get the cave of ordeal passed and i have all of the high level characters in agreement wtih me. Yet i couldnt get the dark assembly to agree with me no matter how many times i tried. I finally forced the bill through.

andrew201292

Nov 19, 2009
Stalker clear sky, got it the other day when the guide takes you to the second area its right in front of a military base which shoots on sight the machine gun kills you almost instantly as soon as you move and it was night so i could see where i was going but i couldnt seek past either. ragequit

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Ive had that moment a few times in Demon's Souls. But I've since beat that game half a dozen times, so think I got my payback.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Dragon Age: Origins did that to me many a time, though in retrospect if I didn't suck at the game (had to switch to easy on the archdemon fight) I might not have felt as screwed over but there are some genuine delays/issues that got on my tits with that one. Also, Fallout 3/New Vegas's bugs were a constant source of annoyance, occurring at the most impractical of times and in the strangest of ways.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Ninja Gaiden Black if you fail the first boss 3 times. They then offer you ninja dog mode so you can still play and maybe even pass the first boss.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
There is this new rougelike game that came out on Steam yesterday, Dungeons of Dredmor. I actually really like it, it reminds me of Nethack and is very colorful and fun. I had permadeath mode on, and I was doing pretty good. Cautiously making my way through the dungeon. I open a door and out pour DOZENS of monsters. I managed to kill quite a few of them before going down, but I wanted to break my keyboard in half.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
All the fucking time in, say, any FPS Campaign where you can be 1-shotted, EVEN IF there's only one possible occurrence that may happen.

You can take Flashpoint; Dragon Rising for instance. In that game, you can, by any weapon, at any distance, at any time, be 1 shotted as a bullet flies through the air and hits you on the head. Otherwise, they just miss you 80% of the time. The other 20% it's either your head, and/or your limbs.

So, you run, run, run some more, run, shoot some asshole, repeat. Than, after 25 min, and you're almost seeing the end of the chapter, you're insta-killed. By a simple shot.

... Than you've got to re-do the whole thing all over again.

AlexiVolkov

Mar 30, 2011
A friend an I used to play C&C Kane's Wrath local lan a ton. 2v3 Brutal comps... when we were not getting destroyed and we actually managed to hold out, the game would often throw a giant FUCKYOU! at us and desync the match ending it. This occurred with about 80% consistency.

iLikeHippos said:
All the fucking time in, say, any FPS Campaign where you can be 1-shotted, EVEN IF there's only one possible occurrence that may happen.

You can take Flashpoint; Dragon Rising for instance. In that game, you can, by any weapon, at any distance, at any time, be 1 shotted as a bullet flies through the air and hits you on the head. Otherwise, they just miss you 80% of the time. The other 20% it's either your head, and/or your limbs.

So, you run, run, run some more, run, shoot some asshole, repeat. Than, after 25 min, and you're almost seeing the end of the chapter, you're insta-killed. By a simple shot.

... Than you've got to re-do the whole thing all over again.
You reminded me of when I tried to play the first GhostRecon game... I remember being told to run from one spot to another, involving sprinting across a street.. EVERY SINGLE TIME I tried to run across the street I would get insta sniped by some npc with a pistol, who was standing 3 blocks away....

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
OmniscientOstrich said:
Dragon Age: Origins did that to me many a time, though in retrospect if I didn't suck at the game (had to switch to easy on the archdemon fight) I might not have felt as screwed over but there are some genuine delays/issues that got on my tits with that one. Also, Fallout 3/New Vegas's bugs were a constant source of annoyance, occurring at the most impractical of times and in the strangest of ways.
I didn't even get past the weird dragon cult in the church thing before I had to turn it down to babies first RPG. But I was playing for story more than gameplay, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

OT: New Vegas's constant "you are free to roam anywhere you want, but if you deviate from the path we tell you for the first 20 hours we will fuck you up". Seriously, the road south there's a couple of powder gangers, every other conceivable directions there's scorpions and cazadores and deathclaws and everything else that will destroy you in less than 6 seconds.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
Civ IV- (I was playing on f*cking warlord ('easy') difficulty). Maybe 35 turns in (which is nothing), I had 2 cities and 3 units (2 warriors and a scout) and I get a message-- "a barbarian horde is approaching". 5 barbarian spearmen spawn maybe 6 tiles from my capital. Screw you, game.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Any time you have to do forced stealth in first-person. Be it a non-mandatory-but-combat-is-inadvisable game like Deus Ex, or a full-on mission like in Soldier of Fortune 2... first-person stealth is impossible for the player.

(And if Yahtzee is to be believed, the only time it's ever been pulled off is in the Thief games, none of which I've played for myself.)

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Alot of the time when I play TF2 and for some reason 4 direct rocket hits don't kill an opposing heavy.

Angel Molina

Mar 23, 2011
Actually, just recently I had purchased Section 8: prejudice and after beating the campaign in normal mode, I decided to beat it again but in the hardest difficulty (which is what I normally do with most games, especially when it has some achievements attached to it). Well, it wasn't until I got to one mission where (SPOILER!!!! well then again,the story is pretty predictable anyways) you have to protect a tank as it moves forward through the enemy base. If it were me in that tank, I would stick back and fire on all of the enemies from afar on account of the difficulty (enemies have greater firepower).

But OH NO! The AI has a better plan: just move as close as you can towards that walking death machine (mech) and then randomly fire into the air missing EVERTHING!!! Since the mission ends whenever the tank is destroyed, I have had to restart that mission severals times... I did manage to destroy the mech once (and the tank and myself were low on health because of it), but then the game decides that wasn't challenging enough so of coarse two enemies drop next to the tank just start spamming their rockets...

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
Dwarf Fortress, any Roguelike ever made, Some modes of L4d, demon's souls, TF2 when against lucky opponents.

Dasrufken

Dec 1, 2010
Harbinger_ said:
Alot of the time when I play TF2 and for some reason 4 direct rocket hits don't kill an opposing heavy.
Yeeeeaaah, that heavy is usually me. I thank my medics (yes, multiple medics) for that.

At the end of the dwarf origin in dragon age origins is annoying... I could tell right from the start that ****** was going to ****** ***** but did the game let me do anything about it? noooooooo....