A Game Where You Don't Have To Kill Anyone

AldirTK

Mar 17, 2010
You can play Dynasty Warriors without killing anyone. You always knock them out no matter how many slashes you give.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
You need educating with a series called Thief. I'd rather play a game where i don't have to kill because there's skill in it.
Gamers like this make me sad.

That said, Raiden makes me sad too

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
You never kill anyone in that awesome King Kong game. Just creatures.

Actually, I think the entire concept and how that game was handled was genius. Shame the last level sucked and the entire game was so short, but it was still a meaty and immersive experience. Personally, I think I might have enjoyed it more than Half-Life 2. Well, the first person sections, anyway.

EOD Tech

Dec 30, 2010
It is possible to play entirely through FNV without killing a single living thing:

http://www.ifc.com/news/2010/11/fallout-new-vegas-gets-beaten.php

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
It's only because people complained about how they turned Splinter Cell Conviction in a run and gun, rather than a stealth game. In the old Splinter Cell games it was probably just about possible to go through the entire game without actually killing anybody. They're just pointing out that they're sticking with the roots of the game.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Hmmm, Heavy Rain technicly, you can't get the best ending without one of the characters killing someone, but it is possible.

LightOfDarkness

Mar 18, 2010
JaymesFogarty said:
Portal. Isn't that one obvious?
You kill GLaDOS at the end.
In the Portal 2 trailer, she mentions coming back to life after having been killed by the player.
The GL stands for Genetic Life, so it CAN be killed.

SideburnsPuppy

May 23, 2009
Iji. You will do a pacifist runthrough. Maybe not the first time, but it'll happen. I actually switched to a pacifist runthrough halfway into the game. Check it out here: [link]http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php[/link]. Do it. Do it now.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
JaymesFogarty said:
Knocking over gun turrets, taking down GLaDOS and incinerating the companion cube don't count? I guess that would make any game with robots and zombies as enemies are games where you aren't killing anyone...

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
It's possible in Morrowind iirc, and possible in some Black Ops missions (the game will take control of your character periodically though, and kill certain people).

EDIT:

AldirTK said:
You can play Dynasty Warriors without killing anyone. You always knock them out no matter how many slashes you give.
Enemy officers die; there's always a cutscene or a one liner that make it very clear whether they've died or just retreated. The player must deal the final blow to enemy commanders, so it's inevitable that you'll kill some.

EightGaugeHippo said:
Tetris

No matter how hard I try I just cannot kill anything on that game
The blocks die when you make rows.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Phoenixlight said:
You're not supposed to kill anyone in Mirrors Edge and that's not a bad game.
The game never pretends to be devoid of violence perpetrated by the player. The game does however imply that the player should never use a gun and yet puts the player in plenty of situations where using a gun is the most reasonable solution to a problem. And even if one chooses not to use a gun, I'm quite sure there are cops that would not have survived the beating I delivered unto them and I'm equally certain at least one character is killed by the player after being kicked out of a helicopter resulting in a thousand foot fall.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Lessee... several Geneforge games. Thief. Almost no kills require for Planescape: Torment. Technically possible in Arcanum, but in practice not. Iji makes a very, very big point out of this.

All I can think of, off the top of my head, that hasn't already been mentioned.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
badgersprite said:
JaymesFogarty said:
Knocking over gun turrets, taking down GLaDOS and incinerating the companion cube don't count? I guess that would make any game with robots and zombies as enemies are games where you aren't killing anyone...
There is nothing living in that game you could possibly kill. The companion cube is certainly not animate, the turrets (though almost adorable with their programmed voices) are also not real, and the closest thing to living that you kill is still a robot. I don't think it counts if they're not living.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
LightOfDarkness said:
JaymesFogarty said:
You kill GLaDOS at the end.
In the Portal 2 trailer, she mentions coming back to life after having been killed by the player.
The GL stands for Genetic Life, so it CAN be killed.
I will JUST about accept that. But generally, I don't accept that you can, "kill" robots. It just doesn't really work; unless of course it has enough of a character, (such as GLaDOS) to be considered living.

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
Polaris19 said:
Metal Gear Solid Rising is coming out soon. And people have been itching to play as a sword wielding stealthy cool guy. But Konami has now stated that it is possible to play through the ENTIRE game without killing ANYONE.

This is absolutely bizarre to me. They hand you a kickass sword, some amazing abilities and now they say "You know you don't have to use them, right?"
I know it's MGS and stealth is a big part of it, but should could you resist all the oppertunites to wreak havoc on unsuspecting enemies?

I don't think I could, but what about you guys?

EDIT: To get specific, you can slice weapons and hands and still get away with it. So you can still fight.
I think it is a challenging option in a game where you are expected to fight. But one of my favorite old games is called "Below the Root". You did not fight at all. You were searching for a lost person and developing special powers. It had political factions and gliding-flight in a huge tree city. It's bound to have a mod out there if you want to see an interesting game where you don't kill. It is really old graphics though! ;)