A Game Where You Don't Have To Kill Anyone

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
JaymesFogarty said:
badgersprite said:
JaymesFogarty said:
Portal. Isn't that one obvious?
Knocking over gun turrets, taking down GLaDOS and incinerating the companion cube don't count? I guess that would make any game with robots and zombies as enemies are games where you aren't killing anyone...
There is nothing living in that game you could possibly kill. The companion cube is certainly not animate, the turrets (though almost adorable with their programmed voices) are also not real, and the closest thing to living that you kill is still a robot. I don't think it counts if they're not living.
Yeah, I know, but I just thought it was funny that it never occurred to me that non-living enemies technically don't count as killing. So, yeah, I guess there area lot of games with robot, demon or zombie enemies where they aren't technically alive.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Heavy Rain. Well, you can kill your own character(s) if you fail, but I'm assuming we're not counting this in.

radioactive lemur

May 26, 2010
SyphonX said:
Batman: Arkham Asylum

You don't actually kill anyone, as far as I know, as I'm not sure if it's possible at all.
Much like The Dark Knight film, you're just egged on by The Joker as he tries to get you to kill him, or someone else.

Rebecca Mayes included that facet in one of her songs.

There is nothing special in laying waste to everyone in a game. At some point, it just takes you out of the game and makes you wish it was a little more believable.
Not directly, but the Joker did say that he would brutally murder anyone batman disarmed so you get some indirect kills in that game. That being said, I think giving the option to kill or not is a good thing. It was actually kind of fun to go through all of MGS4 without killing anyone.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
badgersprite said:
Yeah, I know, but I just thought it was funny that it never occurred to me that non-living enemies technically don't count as killing. So, yeah, I guess there area lot of games with robot, demon or zombie enemies where they aren't technically alive.
Exactly. Otherwise, doing something as simple as burning a milk carton or shooting a pair of trousers would be considered murder; that would just be bizarre!

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
<--- *avatar cough*

In the Ace Attorney games, your character, as an attorney, is obviously never violent, so they're not going to kill anyone. All the cases involve at least one murder, but your character doesn't kill, of course. In fact, it is implied that the sentence for these murders is death, so in the Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice games, by defending your client you are actively preventing needless death. And in the Edgeworth game, you spend just as much time proving other suspects innocent as you do proving the guilt of the real perpetrator.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Guest_Star said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Can't you beat Deus Ex without killing anyone?
Only if you count taking ppl down using tranqs as "not killing" as I seem to remember you have to kill a few for the plot to advance.
Fallout 3 can prolly be completed by only killing one single person.
Morrowind could too.
What happens when a creature/bandit attacks you? I don' think you can outrun them, and even if you sneak your way through, it is inevitable. I've seen a speedrun for Morrowind but the player still killed some creatures.

O.T. Left 4 dead. What? They are all already dead :p

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Can't you beat Deus Ex without killing anyone?
I hear you can get through only killing 2 people, but thats still pretty good.

I bet you could get through Alpha Protocol killing only 1 person (the luitenant on the bridge at the end of chapter 1)

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Probably not the first person to say this but Mirrors Edge set you the challenge of playing through the entire game not shooting anyone.

Tetris of course as well.

To answer the question what do I think? I like having the option.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Furburt said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
No, you never have to kill anyone. Ever. In fact, if you do, the game calls you a loser and robs you of points.
I thought as much.

It's fun giving that game to people who play normal FPS's, and watching them kill everyone, then get killed themselves.

Or, if they do complete the level, watching them recoil in horror at their pitifully low score and say "But I killed everyone!"

Hehehhe...
I know that's how the Police actually operate, but in my book if a Bank Robber armed with an AK-47 runs away shouting "You'll never catch me alive Coppa'!" when you tell him to stop then you can, at least, shoot him in the Knee. Unauthorised use of force my Ass!

EDIT: Actually it's only recently I realised how damn useful the Beanbag Shotgun and CS Capsules are. As you can shoot those assholes who run away without getting penalised. As long as you keep a 9mm as backup.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
hUbILuB said:
Alpha1089 said:
Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you go through pretty much all the MGS games without killing any of the normal enemies? You know, just using stealth and tranquiliser darts to get past guards.
In the first game you kill pretty much everyone if you want to take them down, unless you're willing to just punch them in the face. Stealth kills break their necks and there are no tranqs.
Yeah but you can just avoid them you know, You do have to kill the bosses though, in all of them so far, even in 4 you are forced to kill the final boss.

At any rate I'm pretty sure it's possible to finish Planescape Torment without killing anyone.

EDIT
Sinclose said:
You can go through the entire story of Iji without killing ANYONE, even in cutscenes. The game rewards you with a 'pacifist' rank and also grants you a megaweapon for the final boss.
Ah shit how did I forget Iji?
My mate was obsessed with it a while back, he even learned to use the aliens' (forget which ones) counting system.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
In Half Life 2: Episode One it's possible to let Alyx do all the killing for you. Or at least you can kill without a gun.

I'm not sure if Katamari Damacy has any killing. Or puzzle games like Proffessor Layton.

Shadow_Bunnies

Nov 27, 2009
Folio said:
I'm not sure if Katamari Damacy has any killing. Or puzzle games like Proffessor Layton.
I would consider Katamari extremely violent, you're rolling around a giant ball of corpses along with all your cars, tress and buildings.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Shadow_Bunnies said:
Folio said:
I would consider Katamari extremely violent, you're rolling around a giant ball of corpses along with all your cars, tress and buildings.
Then every game is violent because you kill.... POKÉMON! Pokémon don't die! They faint! HA!

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Steppin Razor said:
Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you go through pretty much all the MGS games without killing any of the normal enemies? You know, just using stealth and tranquiliser darts to get past guards.
yeah, but the enphasis here is that now you can "SLICE" people, cut someone in halve, cut off his hand, his head, his legs, a whole lot of gory stuff that there was never in the game and that is a BIG change for a game that has stayed "white" for the entire duration of the series

in solid the enemies dissapeared or stayed lying there with red stains

in 2 you had to hide them and some stains of red showed where you shot them

in 3 you could cut their troath with the knife, but this was only a "splash" of red fluid with no significant change

in 4 well, same as above

and now they are reinventing the game to be more gory, that is a big issue.