A good (J)RPG.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Terramax said:
UltimatheChosen said:
If you have a Gamecube, get Tales of Symphonia. It's probably the finest JRPG I've ever played.
Seriously, this is something I will NEVER understand. Did everyone else play a completely different game to me? It was the most generic JRPG I'd ever played. It was so generic I honestly thought it might have been taking the piss.

Fair enough I didn't get far with it but what on earth was so good about it?
Nah I hear ya, I first played it and enjoyed it, played it again and I couldn't see what I liked about it. The first third of it mimics many other games. A chosen one, protected by people, guardians, going around the world to different temples to pray for power to defeat some kind of evil. Final Fantasy X much?

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
The idea behind ToS's plot was fairly generic, but the characters were extremely well written. They genuinely made you care about them (even Collette had a few moments, although they're few and far between).

The battle system is also quite good.

And yes, it does take a while for the plot to get going. Just wait till you get to the Tower of Salvation.

Justanothergamer300

Jul 5, 2009
I would say Earthbound but you don't have the SNES anymore damn.
Well you can get the emulators and ROM to play it on your computer, really if you have the time play it now.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Well, they've already been mentioned but I'll agree with FFVII, FFIX, and the Disgaea series.

I'll also recommend FFT and Arc the Lad if you're into the turn-based strategies.

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
Thanks for everything guys, gonna see about ordering a few of these games for super cheap off amazon. Infinate Undiscovery is only 9 quid...

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
A few of my favourites, excluding Final Fantasy:

Tales of Symphonia: it starts out very cliched but once you progress the story gets more and more interesting. There is a lot of character development and a very deep action based battle system.

Chrono Trigger: one of the greatest JRPG's ever made. Everyone who even slightly likes the genre should have played it, and thanks to the DS remake we poor Europeans finally can.

Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi: Absolutely the greatest Mario games besides the platformers, maybe even better. The games are very funny, full of references to the series and have a simple yet fun battle system. Even if you don't like the genre at all you will certainly love them.

Earthbound/Mother 3: Playing these postmodern games is an experience you will never forget.

May 28, 2009
DC_Josh said:
Suggestions?
You will get the Mother/Earthbound series sir. You will love it.

I do. Isn't that right Maude? Yes, Maude agrees. Hehe. Heehee. Heheheheehehehe!!

*huddles in the corner, trembling and cackling maniacally*