A great game you stopped playing.

The Rainmaker

Jun 21, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Dark Souls

I really liked the game, but after a certain point I just didn't feel like I was making any real progress anymore. As soon as I'd beaten a tough monster a newer, tougher monster would take it's place, and an even tougher monster would appear in place of that one.

I just got totally burned out on it.
Ninja'd. I love the atmosphere and the world is so morbidly beautiful that I want to explore it, but it's just too tough. I have spent around 14 hours on it but I feel like I have progressed very little.

Also, Skyrim. It's a fantastic game, and all the quests are great, but there really aren't that many of them. I have just clocked in at about 90 hours and I have no reason to play it anymore, as I just feel like I'll end up going to the companions and get a standard "go kill this guy" quest, which is all I feel like I'm doing in that game at the moment.

Daget Sparrow

Oct 2, 2011
Batman: Arkham Asylum. Nothing wrong with the game, but when I couldn't find that VERY last Riddler trophy, I just gave up. And Challenge Mode just isn't enough to keep my attention.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Mass Effect 2 already put 100+ hours in it and did a few playthroughs on insanity. Even started using some mods out of boredom.

Great game but I was just done with it.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
In my opinion there are only two main outcomes:

A game isn't really 'great' it's just 'good enough' and you lose interest. (most common issue for me)

Or, you've played it to death and are bored of it. (can't help you there).

I always play games on easy > normal > hard, like that. Not only do I get more out of my money but I am better prepared for hard.

A lot of people like to skip right to hard difficulty and then brag about how they never play games on easy, like they're so good at games for doing that. (my brother does this).

If you put a game on too hard of a difficulty that's certainly not the games fault.

But yeah, sadly not many games are truly great. I do know what you mean, because I have tried to force myself to play many famous games and I just lose interest because they aren't fun enough to me.

FF7 is just one tiny example of a game I still own but have never gotten past the first disc of.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, just thought of a couple of others.
Devil May Cry. Finished the third one, finished the fourth one, never finished the first one. Just got to one of the boss fights, lost a few times and lost interest.
I don't know if darksiders can be considered great, but either way it lost my interest. Thought about pre-ordering, never bothered. Bought it recently in a Steam sale, the game was very meh. Just didn't do anything for me. Glad I got it cheap.
Alpha Protocol. Again, don't know if it can be considered great, but what I did play of it I enjoyed. Stopped playing after I reached the 'Benny Hill' boss fight as Yahtzee put it. I made a stealthy character like he did thinking 'Bah, he must be doing it wrong' and promptly had my shit ruined by Mr Knifey. I may go back someday, finish the game, but it's doubtful.

And here, I raise my flameshield. Half Life and Half Life 2.
I only last year really got into PC gaming, and so bought the Valve pack off Steam. Booted up HL and gave up after a few hours. I think trying to play it over 10 years after it came out just didn't work. Shooters generally age poorly.
I thought I'd give HL2 a go, and I did enjoy it. But reached a certain point (think I had to open some water locks to move my hoverboat on, not long after headcrabs come in) and I just never went back. I think something newer and shinier caught my eye.
I really should go back and finish it so I can get in on this 'FINISH EPISODE 3 VALVE DURR' stuff, but other newer stuff keeps grabbing my attention.

EDIT - Just looked at my steam list and realised I've never finished Just Cause 2 either. Fuck me, this list just keeps getting bigger...

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Shockolate said:
While some might say otherwise, I love RAGE, and I think it's a great game.

But for some reason I decided to do a HeartGold Nuzlocke run last week and I haven't played it in a since.
RAGE ruined itself for me by fucking up on PC. By the time I finally got it working, I just didn't care anymore.
I'll finish it someday (another game I should of added to my list really) but right now it's just left a really bitter taste in my mouth.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
FF9, at one point I got stuck, no big deal, and the video I watched to get me through it showed me some things, namely, that one skill that deals unbelievable damage the more times Zidane uses steal, and Quinas blue magic, which I thought was useless. When I eventually start a new game I'm using a guide...

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Okami. A friend lent it to me and about 5 hours in, his copy kept freezing at a certain point. Turned out there was a major scratch 'pon it's underside he'd thought was harmless. I've yet to return to it, five years later. :(

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Suikoden, now I love that game, but I just got tired of having to fight some of the main battles that I knew were going to be BS.

God of War: Chains of Olympus, I played the hell out of that game and unlocked everything, but I'm just kinda done with it.

EDIT: I just looked and I realized I never finished LA Noire, I just can't seem to finish it.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
It wasn't a personal choice, but I had to stop playing Skyward Sword before I started due to the fact I failed to own a Wii Motion Plus :(

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I've got a couple games that I can think of.
Fallout 3 and New Vegas(got board/moved on to other games. I get back to them eventually, but I'll need to have a computer with the Fallout wikia pulled up)
the Pokemon games(so very, very board with that series)
The Orange Box(already beaten Half-Life and Portal several times and TF2 on the 360 has some pretty crappy multiplayer)
the CoD series(do I really need to say why?)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Only one that comes to mind would be the "Infinity Engine" games: "Planescape: Torment" and "Baldur's Gate" series. I was just switching from JRPGs (Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI) to Western RPGs at that time and I didn't like how those games were slow and focused too much on trying to tell an 'epic, grand' story to me when I wanted to play a f**king game. I thought Planescape had the better story, but it really dragged on with the dialog and slowed the game down too much.

I'd like to give them another try, especially "Baldur's Gate", but I just keep finding something about them that annoy me and look for a better RPG (in my view).

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Persona4

Couldn't handle the amount of grinding and the dungeons I needed to plow through to progress the story, although I immensely enjoyed the story of the game and the social aspect, I couldn't deal with the grinding part of the game... ( Anybody know a good game like Persona without the grinding? )

Rogue Galaxy

Maybe I overlooked a part of the games core system, but by the time I got to about 60% of the game enemies were too strong for me to properly fight against, although I was on a pretty high level. My damage dealt wasn't too high and damage received from enemies was a bit too high for me to want to continue.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm kinda reluctant to say that I stopped playing this particular game,but this needs to be said so Skyrim and here's why:

I played 'till around level 48,maxed out smithing and all the important skils that I've been using thus far such as smithing,one handed and heavy armor,finished all the guilds/main story/Stormcloak quests and killed at least 40 dragons through my exploring of the world.I reached the point where the game became very boring and a bit pointless to continue and decided to take a long break from it.Still had some interesting quests in certain cities but couldn't get myself to play anymore.

Also,the main story felt very week and the ending was really lackluster.

This is one of the major games that I decided to quit playing for a while(maybe ever).Don't know if I'll ever get the "spark of interest/immersion" to come back to it.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I've played Mount&Blade so much that I can easily trounce well equipped AI with starting gear. I feel like I am picking on a little kid, except in With Fire and Sword where I get 1-shotted by some deserters despite being at full health and turning damage to me down to 1/4 (I facking hate gunpowder).

I was enjoying Lair, despite it getting poor reviews (I got it after the update with stick controls). I then got incredibly sick (bad pot pie I think). I can't think of that game without thinking of the sickness.

The AI on Rome and M2 drives me insane. They employ the same few tactics on all difficulties. The only difference is they get stat boosts. I kid thee not, on Rome I have elite Macedonian Royal Pikemen get nearly wiped out by lowly phalanx pikemen who didn't even lose half their troops when I set it on very hard (a 1v1 on flat terrain, my Royal Pikes have far better stats).

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Most games, usually Disgaea on account I lack the time to grind.

Still have a load of titles still wrapped on my shelf, juggling a Masters, a Bachelors, extracurricular study and sports will do that to you though, hopefully it'll pay off though.

Jdb

May 26, 2010
Out of the 120+ games I've played, only eight still interest me. My biggest reasons are either I only want to spend time with the "best" game in the series or genre, or I've become too good and the game's challenge no longer interests me. The games I still own are F-Zero GX, Geometry Wars: Galaxies, Mario Kart Double Dash!!, Monster Hunter Tri, Phantasy Star Online, Sin and Punishment 2, Super Smash Bros: Brawl, and Unreal Tournament 2004.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Resonance Of Fate. Sunk 20 hours into it when it came out and was loving it and then I just stopped playing it for some reason. Correcting that now though as I restarted the other night, already over 8 hours and it's just as awesome as I remember it being.