A message to all Cyclists.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
OP, you seem to forget that, BY LAW, cyclists have right-of-way on the streets and have to ride ON the street if there's no designated bike-lane (riding on the sidewalk is both dangerous, and illegal). you're argument could not be more legitimately invalid.

manic_depressive13 said:
Dear Motorists,

Stop contributing so much to pollution and learn to ride a bike or catch a train. You probably don't need a private vehicle.

Thank you.
also this. SO MUCH this.
people look at me and ask how i stay literally underweight. i literally walk, or bike, EVERYWHERE (although i'm underweight because of my metabolism, i literally CANNOT gain weight, but walking everywhere helps). maybe if you decided to do that once in a while rather than use a car to go down the damn street then maybe you wouldn't be trying to loose weight so much. instead of driving to burger king, why not walk to subway?

EDIT: i have to respond to this one

Zykon TheLich said:
Loonyyy said:
Yep. Depending on where you are, there are 3 systems activating the lights: A timer, a metal detector, and the pedestrian crossing. Some lights only change when there is a car or a pedestrian wishing to cross the main lane.
Ah, I see, where I come from either you cross when the lights are red or there's a little button that will eventually get round to it but doesn't extend the time you can cross in, so as a cyclist you would either be able to cross with the cars or use the crossing as a pedestrian without making a difference to the light cycle.
actually, i have a handy little magnet on my bike near the rear-wheel that activates lights for me. now i used it in CA so maybe it was something that they have that not a lot of other places did, but it worked. unfortunately i can't remember where i got it. i think i got it from a Motorcycle shop because they have a hard time activating lights too.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Zykon TheLich said:
lechat said:
depending on the set of lights and what point it is in the cycle, hitting a pedestrian crossing can slow the lights from changing
You mean they have sensors in them to detect if people are crossing?
i'm talking about about button press crossings

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
Ummmm yeah they do have the right to be in the lane. It is expressly provided by law, and you just have to deal with it. Either that or get involved in lawmaking and voting for candidates that feel the same way as you do about this deeply important and not at all self absorbed issue.

In many cities cyclists can get a ticket for biking on the sidewalk, including my own.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
All I would like is that bicyclists stay on the bicylce lane if available, if not, don't drive down the middle of the goddamn lane, let cars pass.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Littaly said:
It's better for the health
In certain circumstances this is untrue, exerting yourself and sucking down copious amounts of carcinogenic diesel fumes is not good for your health at all. Some research suggests roadside city cycling and running is as harmful as smoking.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I don't mind cyclists so much on the road as long as they have proper gear and are using the bike lane, if applicable. I have had a couple of cyclists be annoying on the road, cut me off, ride in the middle of the lane and so on, but going around them and then being slow pisses them off even more than they did you and they can't possibly go faster than you, so they're stuck behind a slow as car until the go into the bike lane, side of the lane or up onto the pavement.

Ziggy109

Feb 20, 2010
Do you angry motorists really think us cyclists want to be on the road? I'd much rather ride on the sidewalk. Too bad it's illegal in larger cities, which is kind of silly. I think a pedestrian getting hit by a bike would be far less painful than a cyclist getting hit by a goddamn car.

SciMal said:
I love this post. :D

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I have an argument that I think most people can agree with on either side of this...

AHEM, all cunty shiteating assholes, who are inconsiderate of others, and pay no heed to safety regulations, think that you are "the shit" and it doesn't apply to you, get off the road, get off the sidewalk, if possible, please get off of this planet.

Sincerely,

Decent folk everywhere.

Argument finished.

Doesn't matter what mode of transportation you employ, be it feet, bicycle, motorcycle, car, truck, van, whatever, treat others with consideration, and due courtesy, and we can all get along fine.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Cyclists who don't follow the rules piss me off about as much as other drivers who don't follow the rules.....which is a lot! But to be honest, I'm no saint when I'm on the motorcycle. Give me a clear stretch of road and I'm quick. But I always respect the rules in towns/cities, and I always respect the space of other road users.

But I'll tell you what pisses me off more than idiots, fucking horses. Seriously, if a horse were a car, it'd fail its MOT in a heartbeat. They're absolutely. fucking. mental.

Why is a creature that is about as stable as a ward full of psychiatric patients stood on a waltzer, even allowed on the public highway? Their riders often ignore laws and ride side-by-side, the animals themselves would sooner kick your face off than stay calm, and they always, without fail, shit in the worst place possible.

As a biker (in the summer anyways), it's a serious worry when you come around a corner, only to be greeted by King Kongs first dump of the day, right on your line. Motorcycles are attached to the road by two credit-card sized contact patches of rubber, horse shit reduces that small amount of grip quite significantly.

If my bike dropped oil randomly, the powers that be would force me to take it off the road until it was fixed.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GIVE HORSES NAPPIES.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I know what you mean OP. 'round these parts, there's no shoulder and no sidewalk in certain areas. Cyclists have no option but to get in the way. What bothers me is when there is a shoulder and a group of them won't go single file. I see that far too often.

manic_depressive13 said:
Dear Motorists,

Stop contributing so much to pollution and learn to ride a bike or catch a train. You probably don't need a private vehicle.

Thank you.
Queen Michael said:
Dear cyclists, thank you for choosing a method of getting around that doesn't involve filling our air with poison.
You know that smug is 1000X more hazardous to your health than smog. I'll take the smog.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
I'm from the Netherlands. Here motorists and cyclists live together in peace and harmony. Well... as much peace and harmony that can exist in traffic.
And then the Fire Nation attacked.

OT: I can't say that I've noticed too many problems with cyclists on the road but I can pass cars on my motorcycle on the shoulder and it makes me feel good inside lol. Throwing stuff at cyclists is just ridiculous though why would anyone do that?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
Dear Cyclists in the UK. I have no problem with you.

Dear "Sunday drivers" .... stay the fuck off the road.

You know the type, you're driving along and you suddenly come across a moron in the middle of the lane, you can't get past and that bugger isn't turning so you are stuck behind him. The problem is he's driving 10mph in a 40mph zone.

We call those Sunday drivers (no idea why).

And they annoy the fuck out of me.
Sunday Drivers refers to old farts driving home after Church in the morning. Ever see the episode of South Park with the old people driving? Yeah, that's a riff on Sunday Drivers.

They're just more common on Sundays, hence the name.

I've got nothing against Cyclists as long as they follow the rules. I made a thread similar to this one a few months ago, and the general consensus was "Keep idiots off the road" meaning both moron cyclists and dangerous drivers.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
I'll admit, cyclists on the road bother me. This is not because I see them flouting the rules all the time (not any moreso than regular cars at any rate), but because I feel paranoid that I'm going to accidentally hit them, as they can move in ways a car cannot and aren't surrounded by a considerable pile of metal designed to absorb the impact rather than, say, their bones. Motorcycles provoke a similar reaction, despite seeming much more "road worthy" at first glance.

My city made a half-assed attempt to provide them with a stretch of the road soley for bikes. That would have been great! I've seen them work well! Shame they made them extremely rare and very short (think a hundred feet, tops). Bah.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
In most places bicycles are considered vehicles. In most places it is illegal to ride them on the sidewalk. Learn to cope with them and get over yourself.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
I used to really really hate this, but after a trip to Europe and Amsterdam in particular. Amsterdam's cyclists are on another level of crazy, and there's about 20x more of them, in a much smaller place.

Aphantas

Apr 29, 2010
Bikes must ride on the road or in a bike lane if provided, As a few posters have already remarked. However I can understand your frustration when cyclists decide that the designated bicycle lane is not good enough for them and instead ride in the leftmost car lane.
However if the cyclist needs to overtake a painfully slow cyclist who is acting unpredictably or taking up most of the lane, then maybe I can excuse them using the car lane for a short time.
I will also not condemn cyclists for using the leftmost car lane if their bicycle lane doubles as a parking lane, in which case it is probably safer for everybody if they just remain in the leftmost lane and not dart in and out of traffic as they meet parked cars

lechat said:
what i hate most about bike riders is the bastards rock up to a red light then go cruise over to the pedestrian crossing and suddenly magically transform themselves into pedestrians and use the crossing. it's awesome that that you save yourself 30 seconds at the cost of all other drivers who have to wait for the lights to go through a crossing cycle but 2 minuets later i'm just gonna be riding your ass again
When I used to cycle regularly I would do this make right-hand turns on multi-lane roads. the other options were to make a right hand turn from the leftmost lane, or change lane several times on a often busy road. Both the alternatives are suicidal, so in that case I think that magically turning into a pedestrian (by dismounting on the footpath) is the only safe solution.
Unless you are talking about a lone pedestrian crossing in the middle of a road, in which case it is not necessary, and anger is completely justified.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
First off, as many people have said it's illegal to not bike on the road. Second, when cars stop yelling at me and throwing cups at me is when I will respect anyone who yells at me to get off the road. When I was 8 I got a fast food joint cup thrown at my head and I almost crashed. I'm not saying there are not idiot cyclists, anyone who thinks biking in the middle of the road in a 50 MPH zone is really stupid, but there are idiots on both sides, so don't say that cyclists are solely at fault.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
I feel sorry for cyclists, I really do. They must all suffer some fierce depression because every morning they try to throw themselves in front of my car. This behavior is more frequent during the winter months, when they know I can't stop so I guess they figure their suicide attempt is more likely to succeed. I wish there was something I could do, I really do.