A message to all Cyclists.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Gentleman_Reptile said:
*ahem*

Get. Off. The. Road.

You do not have the right to be in the same lane as a driver. You do not have an engine. You are not a car.

You are a person on a pushbike, and I am quite frankly sick and goddamn tired of being cut off, pushed over, made to slow down, and forced into oncoming traffic just because some asshole (or group of collective assholes) in Lycra thinks he can pedal his way into car lanes.

Surely I can't be the only one feeling the rage on this one?

Nothing makes me more furious on the road than this. What is going through a cyclists head when he thinks it is OK to exit the pushbike lane and just include himself among car traffic? It is fucking DANGEROUS and I dont care whether your an Olympic gold medal winner or not...you are on a bike and you do NOT belong on the road with cars.

Just yesterday, I was crossing over a BRIDGE and was forced to swerve to avoid a cyclist because he thought he was too good to ride in the BARRED OFF BICYCLE LANE.

Hell, I even hate it when cyclists position themselves in their bike lane, but so frigging close to the line they might as well not be in there at all. I know the law says that this is OK to do, but do you know what else the law says is OK to do? Take a plane to Africa, go out on the Savannah and punch a Lion in the face. Yeah, it's technically legal, but does that make it smart or safe? NO!

Am I the only one who is this pissed off about this?
Where I live, bikes of a certain wheel size (basically, adult bikes) can only be ridden on the road, technically. It's illegal to ride them on the sidewalk (danger to pedestrians), and we have maybe like 5 bicycle lanes in the whole city.

So no. Bikes are staying on the road.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I don't mind cyclists who actually know how to drive on the road (signal, obey traffic laws, etc.)
However, most I see decide they're a car when it's convenient and a pedestrian when that's convenient.

It doesn't swing both ways.

I've also almost ran into a drunk cyclist who swerved right in front of me (was holding to the right then just swerved out into the middle of the road).

He was loaded up with bags of booze hanging from the handlebars. Classy.

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
This threads all tipsy turby, some places have bike lanes, some places bikes are considered vehicles on the road and use turning lights and shit, some people pedal their way through life by switching from bike to vehicle at will

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I never used to mind cyclists, that is until I started driving. Now I'm some sort of younger and more attractive version of Jeremy Clarkson and get really annoyed when cyclist are in the middle to the road instead staying nearer the pavement where they are easier to safely get passed.

Also so I'm not just picking on the cyclists, pedestrians don't wear all black at night and then to decide to cross the road at random, I may have headlights but if your in dark clothing I can't see you until I'm right near you. Also taxi drivers, just piss off.

GeneralBob

Oct 15, 2009
CaptainKoala said:
manic_depressive13 said:
Dear Motorists,

Stop contributing so much to pollution and learn to ride a bike or catch a train. You probably don't need a private vehicle.

Thank you.
You're right, the bike industry is so much friendlier to the environment than owning a car. After the metal has been mined (Which can be a very messy business with acid rain/water pollution), and sent on oil burning ships to be refined. And then once it's refined it gets sent to China on oil burning ships where it's make into bikes. Not to mention how environmentally friendly the process of making tires is. Then it's then shipped again all around the world where it's bought by people who think they're saving the environment.
In a life cycle analysis bulk production and transportation of materials are expressed by kg CO2 equivalent per kg of material and kg CO2e/(kg material*km) respectively. So it's definitely fair to say the 25lb bike has a much much much much smaller environmental impact than the 4000lb car. Being fair I'd up that to 50ish lbs since a bicycle is replaced more frequently. Then there's the tailpipe emissions from cars which I wont try to quantify since there's so much variation but suffice to say it's significant.
This whole thread makes me queasy but if there's one thing to set the record straight on it should be this.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
I do not understand why it is illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk. Yeah, I get it, it's a sideWALK but it's not exactly endangering anybody. Bicycles don't exactly pick up enough speed to disembowel someone even if you DO somehow manage to hit someone (which is why if I'm biking and am approaching another individual on the sidewalk I will GET OFF my bike and walk it past them to ensure that I do not hit them). I just hate that entire laws have to be passed because an alarming number of people cannot use common sense to figure out simple solutions to simple problems.

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
Talaris said:
Lost In The Void said:
manic_depressive13 said:
Dear Motorists,

Stop contributing so much to pollution and learn to ride a bike or catch a train. You probably don't need a private vehicle.

Thank you.
Queen Michael said:
Dear cyclists, thank you for choosing a method of getting around that doesn't involve filling our air with poison.
I love comments like this. Of course I'll give up my car to bike to work. I'd love to bike nearly 100 km a day in -25 to -30 C weather. I agree city congestion could be rectified with more people using public transport, but please, do not paint us all with the same brush because some of us can't actually do anything but drive to work.
Obviously in your case it seems that you do need a car, thus making you one of the few exceptions. Though I would point out that unless you live and work really far from a train station, taking a train would faster and cheaper.
I live in a city that's in the process of upgrading it's Light-Rail Transit system, which is our version of the metro. Even if I COULD take the metro, because it was close to my home, many of the jobsites I have to report to are NOT in convenient range of a metro station. I also typically carry about 70lbs of tools, and require a full change of clothes for my work.

Yes, it's unfortunate that my choice of travel device creates many pollutants, but I don't see how else I can do my job, given the tools and clothing requirements of my job, without having access to my own minivan.

Oh, I forgot to mention: my girlfriend has 2 children and 2 dogs, so a small family car is unlikely to be practical to travel with, under most conditions. And the metro here only allows working dogs, so if we wanted to go to any of the dog-parks in town, we'd be FORCED to either rent a vehicle, or pay for a taxi, anyways.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
How did you pass your test? Do you even have a working knowledge of the highway code?

Your beef isn't with cylcists, it's with the people who set road safety laws.

By law, a cyclist HAS to be on the road, and if there is no cycle lane. That means they have to RISK THEIR FUCKING LIVES, cycling next to ignorant so and so's like you. Speeding around in a ton of metal, huffing and puffing because someone dared to ride a bike to work.
that depends entirely on where you live. People ride bikes on the sidewalk all the time here in my city (i did it all the time as a kid), mostly because the sidewalks dont get much foot traffic. It is only when you get into the inner city that it becomes illegal due to the heavy amount of foot traffic. In fact, i would wager in most places in the US you can ride your bike on the sidewalk, with noteable exceptions like NYC and other highly congested areas.

That said, in areas in which cyclists do not have a bike lane nor sidewalks, they are a freakin menace. Seriously, i do not want to hit you, stop trying to make me hit you.

bobajob

Jun 24, 2011
People on phones while driving? I've seen it so often. Just no.

As for the train being cheaper? I moved to the south-East of England from oop North last year. An annual season ticket to London(50 mins on the train, BTW) will set you back a mere £7,500, WITH the discount. Yes, actual British pounds.

That has motivated me, a lifetime cyclist, to vow to start driving lessons next year.It is no longer financially viable to take train/bicycle anymore.

Someone's having a good laugh at the train company.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Actually, I'm 23, live out in the countryside, currently live with my family, and cycle 16 miles every day to and from work. The winters where I live get very cold indeed (it's been dipping into minus figures for quite some time now), but I counter this by wearing a thick reflective coat and scarf.

Us cyclists are not all city-dwelling hipsters. Some of us actually manage to cover pretty exceptional distances out in the countryside to get to and from work.
But do you have a car? the guy I was originality arguing with was trying to make the point that "most people don't need a car" and I was disagreeing with that idea, for example you can't exactly grocery shop for a whole family on a bike so I assume you have a car for that, also you do still somewhat mach with my statement. (you must be in very good shape to bike that far without being exhausted, 23 is what I would call middle age, and brushing of sub zero temps with "meh I have a coat" shows an above average tolerance to the elements, when many people would like me prefer to travel in a car and just turn up the heat) In case it wasn't clear I have no issue with cyclists, as long as they follow the rules of the road and don't act like it makes them better then everyone else, then good for them they will be healthy and probably out live my fat ass, but I was taking issue with the "no one needs a car" type statement.

Unit72

May 5, 2010
You stop and move out of the way for ambulances, firetrucks, cops. You must yield to children crossing and animals.Dont move infront of a bus and stop for schoolbusses. Stay three carlengths away from large load carrying trucks as they take wide turns. Surely you can fit one more rule that shows respect for people on bikes.

Here in the U.S chicago illinios i rode my bike for the first time in years to a recruitment office 8 miles from home. I was surprised to find that a cop was pulling me over to tell me to get off the sidewalk and get on the road. I didnt want to but i couldnt disagree with a cop so i did it. For teh rest of the trip i had atleast 3 people honk at me for being on the road, i didnt wanna be there. I read the laws online after i came home a few hrs later and guess the cop was right. it states you cant (here in chicago anyway) ride on the sidewalk especially in a business district, you must be on the bike lane, if there is no bike lane then you get on the raod unless there are signs designating the sidewalk as a permitted lane for bikes.

Your not supposed to be frustrated about bikers making you swerve into traffic becuase your not supposed to overtake them on the road. For all intents and purposes those bikers are "moterists" and are to be treated with the same respect as if they were in cars. I dont like being out on the road but what can i do about it? You stop and move out of the way for ambulances, firetrucks, cops. You must yield to children crossing and animals.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
Rose and Thorn said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Dear drivers,

Please don't throw firecrackers at me.
I have had so much shit thrown at me, like eggs and donuts. No fire crackers yet, but sometimes they'll honk the horn as they pass to make me jump. Har fucking har.

I feel your pain. I don't trust drivers in my town ages 17-34.
Is that considered an offence? Not that I plan to do it, but I would be interested to know, since I heard that driving fast enough through a puddle to splash pedestrians (and presumably cyclists as well) is now an offence that carries a fine of up to several thousand pounds.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
Rose and Thorn said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Dear drivers,

Please don't throw firecrackers at me.
I have had so much shit thrown at me, like eggs and donuts. No fire crackers yet, but sometimes they'll honk the horn as they pass to make me jump. Har fucking har.

I feel your pain. I don't trust drivers in my town ages 17-34.
Um...Update: I gave it a bit of thought and realised that in all probability, throwing crap at cyclists and using the horn to distract them probably does amount to an offence. Please ignore my previous question. Thanks.

This does not bode well for the driving test.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Ok first I somehow derped and started calling young adult middle aged, and that was incorrect so -1 point from me.
Second I assume when you shop with your little clip on bag you are only shopping for you, and not much at that, so that just comes down to a difference of how your family does things. (My family buys food once every week or two and buys things like *gasp* large packs of soda which would be pretty damn hard to carry on a bike considering how much they weigh)
Third let me put this as bluntly as possible: most people prefer cars because they are easier. period. you cannot argue this point, you can talk about the pollution and how people are all fat and lazy, but that doesn't change that cars are a hundred times more convient. public transportation means that you have to plan any outing around bus times, and I know from experience that when I want to be there and when the bus can get me there don't always line up, and even if they do most people would prefer to avoid being crammed in a tight space with that many other people. As for cycling, unless you can really enjoy it it's a pain, losing most of the skin on my hands and face just to learn the basics of a form of transportation that gets me where i'm going at half the speed and leave me feeling like shit when I get there is not going to sell me on the idea of alternative transportation. Additionally its going to be a much more difficult trying to hang out with friends if you each need your own bike instead of one car especially when one of you lives an hour away. not to mention that even if you can work up a sweat to overcome the cold that just proves that those above 90+ days are going to be all the more hellish, and I could go on but this post is already too long. So yes you win, some people might not need a car, I just don't care enough about the "horrible pollution" to massively incovenince and injure myself by not using one, because really 30 minutes each way in the dark on the bad side of town to get to and from class is unpleasant enough with headlights and climate control.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Therefore, I really don't care what a person pays for. If they are a jerk, I will complain about it. So should you when you are on the receiving end of someone's jerky behavior, and so should everyone else.
Maybe so just so long as you expect to be ignored at best and told to fuck off at worst, also I notice you neatly side stepped all the other very specific points regarding, competence of rider, safety of equipment being ridden and the ability to cover the cost of any accident THEY cause. ALL factors that put cyclists way below the deserving list when it comes to the right to use the road.

Comical really treat cyclists as equal road users but watch as they don't have to ascribe to any of the safety and competence standards that other road users do, nice!

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
I hate passing cyclists on busy roads with oncoming traffic when I'm driving - and I hate drivers on the rarer occasions I'm cycling - and I hate cyclists on the pavement when I'm a pedestrian.

I fuckin' hate everyone.

On a more proper note: Cyclists should ride on the roads, but they must have mirrors so they can see cars trying a tight overtake and give them a little more leeway. Sometimes it's the only way to pass as a driver, and I've shat myself more than once when they push on the pedal closes to me, and lean out into the road as well.

I'm a crap cycler mind; I gave up after a few goes because I don't trust sharing a road with traffic. Might try again someday but cycle paths should be cordoned for most locations these days.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Dear cyclists,

Please stop bounding on and off pavements and cycling across pedestrian crossings to dodge red lights at junctions. We can't hear you coming and have no idea what you're doing.

Signed,
A Pedestrian

---

Dear pedestrians,

Please stop ambling across the road without a care in the world. Emergency stops caused by you being more engrossed in your iPod and your phone than the road you're trying to use are nobody's friends.

Signed,
A Motorist

---

Dear motorists,

Please stop parking in the cycle lanes and cutting us up at junctions. That advanced green bit at the lights is there to help us out and keep us out of your way.

Signed,
A Cyclist

---

Dear pedestrians,

Look, we know the roads are dangerous so we try and stay out of the way, and we know there isn't much space on the pavements either so we do what we can. But please stop walking in the cycle lanes; they're not just interestingly coloured paths.

Signedd,
A Cyclist

---

Dear cyclists,

Please watch where you're going. It's for your own good, seriously - you're silent and you have a habit of diving in and out of our blind spots, and you're causing no end of problems here.

Signed,
A Motorist

---

Dear motorists,

Please be careful. You're in control of a ton of metal moving at about 28mph and red lights exist for a reason.

Signed,
A Pedestrian

---

Dear tractor drivers,

Just... NO.

Signed,
Everybody