A new Hellboy movie trailer. This time David Harbour replaces Ron Perlmen.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
Wintermute said:
Needs to be more serious and dark and mature and
I haven't said anything of the sort at all in this thread.

And besides isn't that basically what Spawn is?
Hellboy was based on pulp and contained it's fair share of goofiness, but it was always more mature and introspective than Spawn, which is so dark and edgy that it just went full circle back to being infantile.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
The hair, the face, the voice, it all feels off. Everything else looks more or less fine, but then hellboy looks like the netflix adaptation of hellboy next to the Ron Perlman version.

It might get better though, I assume the effects aren't quite done yet.
It looks more like a "____ Movie" version of Hellboy than a Netflix version to me.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Looks eh I guess

Biggest flaw with the trailer is the tone. With reboots, you want to differentiate yourself and do a new take on a certain property, but this trailer looks and feels like a film from Del Toro's. Minus the unique aesthetic he had.

Sep 24, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
If you think trailers are bad now at spoiling shit then you would have hated watching trailers in the 1970s because they show off the whole movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne6KMHLTvik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gqit3zVmyc
I'll admit that you got me. I thought you were going to link to the Soylent Green trailer.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Just watched it and wow that looks cheap. The sets look like something from a CW show, the acting is terrible, the CGI looks ten years old at best, Hellboy looks like a cosplayer, a good one, but certainly not production studio worthy, the music choice was terrible and the jokes cringe-worthy. It looks like a movie that was greenlite when everyone thought Suicide Squad was going to be a smash hit.

I predict nothing good will come of this.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Silentpony said:
Just watched it and wow that looks cheap. The sets look like something from a CW show, the acting is terrible, the CGI looks ten years old at best, Hellboy looks like a cosplayer, a good one, but certainly not production studio worthy, the music choice was terrible and the jokes cringe-worthy. It looks like a movie that was greenlite when everyone thought Suicide Squad was going to be a smash hit.

I think you mean the Academy Award winning Suicide Squad.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:
Silentpony said:

I think I mean DC movie universe destroying, financial bomb, Will Smith career destroying(before YTRW) and Margot Robbie career destroying Suicide Squad.

Edit: Also Jenny Nicholson's YouTube career making Suicide Squad.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Silentpony said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Silentpony said:

I think I mean DC movie universe destroying, financial bomb, Will Smith career destroying(before YTRW) and Margot Robbie career destroying Suicide Squad.

Has finamcial bomb come to mean something else now? Suicide Squad made 750 million despite being banned in China and Margot Robbie's career isn't going anywhere. If anything is likely to ruin Will Smith's career it's Aladdin.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Silentpony said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Silentpony said:

Has finamcial bomb come to mean something else now? Suicide Squad made 750 million despite being banned in China and Margot Robbie's career isn't going anywhere. If anything is likely to ruin Will Smith's career it's Aladdin.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Agent_Z said:
Some people seem to think that if a movie makes less than 1.5 billion dollars it is a total and utter failure that is worse than the second coming of Gili and The Love Guru put together.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
twistedmic said:
Agent_Z said:
Some people seem to think that if a movie makes less than 1.5 billion dollars it is a total and utter failure that is worse than the second coming of Gili and The Love Guru put together.
Hell, even making way to or greater than that is considered a flop by these people. Look at the guts claiming Star Wars is in trouble because one movie underperformed.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Agent_Z said:
Hell, even making way to or greater than that is considered a flop by these people. Look at the guts claiming Star Wars is in trouble because one movie underperformed.
I'd forgotten about The Last Jedi slightly underpreforming (in China, I believe) and that meaning that Star Wars was doomed to complete and utter failure and destined to fade into obscure mediocrity.
Maybe it's just any movie that's not part of the MCU is now an absolute, career-killing flop of near-biblical proportions.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
twistedmic said:
Agent_Z said:
I'd forgotten about The Last Jedi slightly underpreforming (in China, I believe) and that meaning that Star Wars was doomed to complete and utter failure and destined to fade into obscure mediocrity.
Maybe it's just any movie that's not part of the MCU is now an absolute, career-killing flop of near-biblical proportions.
I was actually talking about Solo which was the SW movie that underperformed. Thing is, it was the only new Star Wars movie that didn't make as much money but people treated this like the End of Star Wars As We Know It and irrefutable proof that the Disney's acquisition of Star Wars had doomed the franchise.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
On the one hand, Ron Perlman's absence is definitely going to be felt and I feel sorry for this poor guy having a pair shoes like that fill. On the other hand, I won't deny I got a smile on my face. Might be because of that jaunty song they're playing or Ian McShane trying valiantly to class up the proceedings or that its set in Britain

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Agent_Z said:
I was actually talking about Solo which was the SW movie that underperformed. Thing is, it was the only new Star Wars movie that didn't make as much money but people treated this like the End of Star Wars As We Know It and irrefutable proof that the Disney's acquisition of Star Wars had doomed the franchise.
Solo didn't even cross my mind. I never saw it, never plan to see it and thought it was a bad idea from the very start.
But I do find it interesting that if an MCU movie that preforms as well as if not worse than Suicide Squad,which appears to be most of them, it's not considered a financial bomb, a career killer or a franchise ender.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MrCalavera said:
Heeeyyy Mr. Wednesday is there. I didn't know.

Samtemdo8 said:
I feel this is a case where I actually prefer a CGI/Mo-capped Hellboy like Davy Jones/Thanos.
Nah, all the monsters seem to be cg this time, i'm liking that they atleast are leaving Red physical.
Samtemdo8 said:
But also consider that the actor has do action/fight scenes in all that make-up.
So had Perlman. And he was 10 years older than Harbour, when filming first Hellboy.
Well I am sorry but I do think CGI/Mo-capped has proven itself to be far superior to Make-Up. Especially make up for someone like Hellboy.

Davy Jones alone proves it and he was the best character in the movie.

So I have no idea what is this obsession with "physicalness" when it clearly looks cheap and inferior to the making something look literally alive through CGI.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Well I am sorry but I do think CGI/Mo-capped has proven itself to be far superior to Make-Up. Especially make up for someone like Hellboy.

So I have no idea what is this obsession with "physicalness" when it clearly looks cheap and inferior to the making something look literally alive through CGI.
Ron Perlman's Hellboy was done with makeup and prosthetics, The Faun and Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth were done with makeup. Killer Croc from Suicide Squad was done with makeup.
Done well, makeup goes a very long way and can create some amazing characters and visuals just as good if not better than CGI. Poorly done make up, like Hellboy in the trailer, can look cheap and fake just like poorly done, slapped on CGI.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:

Succesful CG characters are the exception rather than the rule. Davy Jones looked great because that movie had money -- this Hellboy movie is likely to have a budget of at best 80 to 100 million. Also, Davy Jones wasn't the main character, meaning he had much less screen time than Hellboy will likely have in the new movie.

And even when a movie has a large (by today's standards) budget it can still go horribly wrong. Just look at the orcs in the Hobbit trilogy.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Succesful CG characters are the exception rather than the rule. Davy Jones looked great because that movie had money -- this Hellboy movie is likely to have a budget of at best 80 to 100 million. Also, Davy Jones wasn't the main character, meaning he had much less screen time than Hellboy will likely have in the new movie.

And even when a movie has a large (by today's standards) budget it can still go horribly wrong. Just look at the orcs in the Hobbit trilogy.
AZOG DID NOT LOOK POOR CGI AT ALL!!!

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Samtemdo8 said:

AZOG DID NOT LOOK POOR CGI AT ALL!!!
Yes he did. He was so unmemorable looking. You know who was memorable looking? Lurtz from Fellowship who had like 3 minutes of screentime because he looked GOOD