A new religion is born!

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
nyctoftero said:
Christianity is the only true "religion" worth investing your life into. If you don't believe me just wait. you'll see... you'll all see.
You might consider adding /sarcasm tags to that.

Unless you want to offend all the Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, agnostics and atheists who frequent these boards.

edinflames

Dec 21, 2007
IceStar100 said:
I have far as I've seen there is no logic and Science is a joke. We are a people who with are logic and science are sprinting to are own destruction. Anything touched by the hand of man is already worthless.
Seriously? Is this an argument for religion? Or suicide? because (mega-Nihilism alert) if what you say is true then we might as well just kill ourselves and get the waiting over with.

Playbahnosh said:
Religions should be wiped off the face of the Earth, and we should love each other, our planet, instead of some imaginary fairytale creature named God or whatever you call that. That imaginary thing don't deserve your love and energy, the people you are living on a planet with do. Think about that...
Wiping out has too many echoes of Stalinist purges for me. A decent education based on contemporary science and academic knowledge is the solution.

cuddly_tomato said:
Do me a favour, and refrain from using "fairytale" in reference to religion, please? I find it extremely troubling.
The problem with using 'fairytale' is that is it condescending, how about we refer to them as 'myths' instead? Does that trouble you less?

cuddly_tomato said:
Sure, some blindly follow. Just as others blindly follow atheism without really thinking about it. That means nothing.
Honestly who do you actually know that "blindly follow atheism"? Seriously, I haven't met any atheists or agnostics who hadn't given their (non)beliefs a great deal of thought.

cuddly_tomato said:
People are idiots, not religions.
People created religions, therefore religion can be (very) idiotic.

nyctoftero said:
Christianity is the only true "religion" worth investing your life into. If you don't believe me just wait. you'll see... you'll all see.
Thats funny, 'cos my entire life experience and everything i've learned about human-history, evolution, biology, physics, astronomy and ideas that have emerged in the 1700 years since the Latin version of the bible was composed (and the 500 or so since the poorly translated King James version) seems to expose Christianity as being obsolete...and the greatest oppressive device in European (and world) history.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
edinflames said:
cuddly_tomato said:
Do me a favour, and refrain from using "fairytale" in reference to religion, please? I find it extremely troubling.
The problem with using 'fairytale' is that is it condescending, how about we refer to them as 'myths' instead? Does that trouble you less?
No. The problem with "fairytale" is that it was used by Hitler to describe religion.

Hitler said:- "I'll make these damned parsons feel the power of the state in a way they would have never believed possible. For the moment, I am just keeping my eye upon them: if I ever have the slightest suspicion that they are getting dangerous, I will shoot the lot of them. This filthy reptile raises its head whenever there is a sign of weakness in the State, and therefore it must be stamped on. We have no sort of use for a fairy story invented by the Jews."

Source:- Hitler: A Study in Tyranny [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitler-Study-Tyranny-Alan-Bullock/dp/0140135642], by Allan Bullock.

I find anything that reminds me of Hitler and the Nazis extremely troubling, especially when people use phrases that Hitler himself used in an excuse to obliterate cultures and creeds he.. I mean they don't agree with (i.e. wiping out "fairytale" religions).

edinflames said:
cuddly_tomato said:
Sure, some blindly follow. Just as others blindly follow atheism without really thinking about it. That means nothing.
Honestly who do you actually know that "blindly follow atheism"? Seriously, I haven't met any atheists or agnostics who hadn't given their (non)beliefs a great deal of thought.

Look over these forums. Look at some of the crap on youtube or 4chan. Look at that Finnish school shooting. If you think that religious people follow blindly but all atheists are guided by intelligence, well I suggest that you are very wrong in that assumption.

edinflames said:
cuddly_tomato said:
Possibly humans did. They certainly added structure and story to religion, but did humans create the religion themselves? That is a question you can't truthfully answer, that is where belief comes in.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
cuddly_tomato said:
nyctoftero said:
You might consider adding /sarcasm tags to that.

Unless you want to offend all the Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, agnostics and atheists who frequent these boards.
I'm an atheist. But I could be a Buddhist, or pagan, or agnostic, if a different neuron had fired in my brain at some point in the past. In any case, I wouldn't be offended by nyctoftero's post, because (if it hadn't been said in jest) *I understand that it is just the opinion of one person*.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
It is logical that the superior should rule, therefore I am proclaiming myself the new god of this religion.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Souplex said:
It is logical that the superior should rule, therefore I am proclaiming myself the new god of this religion.
But logic dictates that since you exist, you must have been created. Since I'm the person that I'm the most sure exists, therefore I must have created you - So I am proclaiming myself your god...

Giovanto

Jun 3, 2008
I hope this is a joke, Elron. Otherwise your going to wind up like Scientology...being hated by those around, second only to the WBC.

orifice

Nov 18, 2008
nyctoftero said:
ha ha... ha ha ha..........ARRR HHA HA HA HA HAHA HA Oh my god! HA HAH A HAH HA HA HA...her her... oh shit it's coming again.... arr ha ha....ha ha ha ha ha ......oh my god please stop! your hurting me! ow my sides
*wanders off laughing in pain*

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Why dont we worship a pile of pre-ps2 consoles as the prophets of the era of gaming?
And if we want to start a religious flame-war then proclaim Ps3/360 as the prophet of darkness
Pc's can be like jesus, but without the dying for our sins part.

Princeps senatus

Feb 12, 2009
Souplex said:
Ok, let's following the same logic as you would use. First fact: You are inferior to a computer. The strongest computer entity out there is Google so I proclaim god to be Google. As proof I have searched for god in Google and found 468,000,000 results. Logical assumption would be that if god can be found on Google then god must be Google.

On other notes: Some people seem to take this thread far to seriously...

Necrophagist

Jan 14, 2009
cuddly_tomato said:
edinflames said:
cuddly_tomato said:
No. The problem with "fairytale" is that it was used by Hitler to describe religion.

Hitler said:- "I'll make these damned parsons feel the power of the state in a way they would have never believed possible. For the moment, I am just keeping my eye upon them: if I ever have the slightest suspicion that they are getting dangerous, I will shoot the lot of them. This filthy reptile raises its head whenever there is a sign of weakness in the State, and therefore it must be stamped on. We have no sort of use for a fairy story invented by the Jews."

Source:- Hitler: A Study in Tyranny [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitler-Study-Tyranny-Alan-Bullock/dp/0140135642], by Allan Bullock.

I find anything that reminds me of Hitler and the Nazis extremely troubling, especially when people use phrases that Hitler himself used in an excuse to obliterate cultures and creeds he.. I mean they don't agree with (i.e. wiping out "fairytale" religions).

edinflames said:
cuddly_tomato said:

Look over these forums. Look at some of the crap on youtube or 4chan. Look at that Finnish school shooting. If you think that religious people follow blindly but all atheists are guided by intelligence, well I suggest that you are very wrong in that assumption.

edinflames said:
cuddly_tomato said:
Possibly humans did. They certainly added structure and story to religion, but did humans create the religion themselves? That is a question you can't truthfully answer, that is where belief comes in.

Hitler drank water. Therefor, you may not drink water anymore.

This argument pisses me off to no end. Being both an atheist and a vegetarian, I get so sick and tired of people trying to tie my way of life to Hitler. Hitler was not defined by his beliefs about god or his diet. He was not defined by his religion. He was defined by what he chose to do with his rise to power. So stop, STOP relating atheist to Nazi crimes. It's irresponsible and, well, stupid. That makes you an irresponsible idiot. Kind of like Hitler.

hvitulf

Feb 17, 2009
You have to recognize something my friend, everything that we "know" could be false. Humans are fallable and imperfect, this alots for a margin of error in all human reckoning. This said, that means that all human knowledge has a finite and defined margin of truth and an exponentially increasing toward the infinite margin of error. If you want to base a religion on logic, you must recognize that all human logic has this possibility of error. Being a man of a certain faith myself, I have come to conclusions based on logic to support certain "facts" about my own religion and am very willing to admit that I could be completely wrong but that that won't stop me from believing. The infinite is just that, unfathomable and undefineable. In order to accept facts, you must first accept concepts from which those facts may be derived. This is how science works, ignoring the infinite margin of error to come to conclusions based on the logic of the fallable human mind. As much as one might hate it, science is a religion, requiring faith. This faith is that of trusting in one's own ability to be correct and the same ability of others and those that precede you as well as faith that our observations are not warped by unknown, unobserveable, or immessureable forces, and that are senses are what we assume them to be. To ignore these possibilities is to allow one'self to be ignorant for the sake of your own pride or selfishness, these are disgusting purposes for anything. Thanks for giving me a good opportunity to put that out there.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
edinflames said:
Playbahnosh said:
Religions should be wiped off the face of the Earth, and we should love each other, our planet, instead of some imaginary fairytale creature named God or whatever you call that. That imaginary thing don't deserve your love and energy, the people you are living on a planet with do. Think about that...
Wiping out has too many echoes of Stalinist purges for me. A decent education based on contemporary science and academic knowledge is the solution.
Sorry about that, I didn't mean to actually kill religious people, but show them the err of their ways. No, wait... Okay, well, that's exactly what they would say. Show me that I will burn in hell for not going to church and not donating all of my money to a make-believe being.... no, thanks.

I think the love, devotion and money that religious people simply throw outta the window give to the faceless organization of their choice (church), could be used to the betterment of our lives and the spinning mudball we live on. IMHO, worshiping, blindly, zealously following anything is bad. Bad for the person, and bad for everyone else on the planet. That mythical figure won't solve anything, no matter how politely you ask, not because he doesn't want to, but because he can't. And the reason is: he does not exist. At least not in the form most people imagine or know.

@cuddly_tomato

Oh, here we go again. If I'm not a religious nut, God forbid, I'm against the stuff, you start comparing me to Hitler. That makes sense...

But I'm not going to fight back, I just tell you my side of the story. Blindly following a fairyta...*cough*...mythical being who doesn't even exist, investing time, money, sanity into this thing is not good. Maybe it brings inner peace and redemption to the one doing the sacrificing, but it won't help anyone else. I'm not better off in any way, just because you go to mass every Sunday and you donated all you stuff to the church. You are not helping me, you are not helping anyone, you are helping yourself to fill a void in your psyche, that you yourself created.

Many religious people are fooling themselves into thinking, that they help the world by being good religious people. No, they are just helping themselves by buying redemption and inner peace, not for everyone, but only for themselves. As MaxTheReaper also stated, most of the religious people I know or met are major assholes. Arrogant, self-righteous, prideful bastards, who think they are better than the rest of the world, and their god will smite us all, because we are not true believers like they are. And no matter what you say, no matter what points you bring, they will repeat the same thing over and over: you are not a believer, you can't possibly fathom the greatness of them and their god, and you will burn in Hell. They are right in one thing: I can't possibly fathom how crazy devoted they have to be, in order to shit on everything and everyone on this planet other than them.

We don't need gods and myths. We need people who will make a better future for all of us. Engineers, scientists, doctors, teachers, masons, carpenters...etc. We don't need priests, cardinals, prophets, churches and stuff like that. We don't need people who preach. We need people who do.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Necrophagist said:
Playbahnosh said:
Seriously, READ posts before responding to them.

I never compared anyone to Hitler, I merely asked someone to not use the phrase "fairytale" in reference to religion because it is both rude and disturbs me somewhat because that particular phrase stinks of Nazism when used in a manner justifying religious erradication.

hvitulf

Feb 17, 2009
May I remind you that religion is not meant to do anything but to give a good set of rules to live by and something worth believing in. I am independant in my beliefs because going to a church is not a requirement to get into Heaven, nor is giving your money to said church. Without a punishment such as Hell, or whatever you may believe in, there would be no reason for me not to give in to my darker urges. I would have already taken a life, and would be a very violent human being without the morals and codes that require getting into Heaven. Morallity is something I have because there is a consequence beyond that of death, for death is inevitable and therefore nothing to fear. The aftermath is not necessarily inevitable. I honestly have a hard time trusting atheists because they have nothing to tell them that something should or should not be done accept their own judgement, and I'm sorry that I get this cynical with this, but people do what suits their own interests most of the time.

hvitulf

Feb 17, 2009
Wow, this world saddens me, for one, to hear and see that those of my faith hold themselves higher than others rather than being humble servants to our God as we should be. Please, don't dissmiss my faith because others abuse it.