A New Sonic Game Will Launch in 2017

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
A New Sonic Game Will Launch in 2017

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1332/1332608.jpg
We have no details on the new Sonic game, announced during a 25th anniversary celebration of the blue hedgehog.

Sonic fans are in for a treat (special 25th anniversary event [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_the_Hedgehog_(video_game)] in Tokyo this week, although we weren't given any additional details. Iizuka instead told us to tune into another Sonic birthday party, this time on July 22 in San Deigo, for more info.

"We at Sonic Team are developing a completely new game," Iizuka said earlier this week. "The most important thing is not the fact that the series survived for 25 years, but how many games [were] developed. Our goal [is to] add something new and overcome any potential hardships."

There is actually a Sonic game due out this year: Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice for the 3DS, based on the Sonic Boom anime. The last "real" Sonic game was the episodic Sonic 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/sonic%204?os=sonic+4], released back in 2010/12.

Here's hoping that this new game, especially considering the 25th anniversary, takes Sonic back to his roots!

Source: Gematsu [http://gematsu.com/2016/06/new-sonic-hedgehog-game-due-2017]

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
There will also be a sonic game in 2018, 2019, 2020...

I mean, has the franchise missed a year? Yeah, most of them are spinoffs and rehashes, but at this point the entirety of the franchise is spinoffs and rehashes, nothing else. Saying the Wii games are any less Sonic than Unleashed seems a bit preposterous.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Steven Bogos said:
The last "real" Sonic game was the episodic Sonic 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/sonic%204?os=sonic+4], released back in 2010/12.
Um, no, the last "Segaverse" Sonic game was Lost World, released in 2013.

Anyway, last Sonic game I played was Unleashed, and the last one I completed was Rush Adventure, but hey, I can hope. At the very least, Sonic Boom gave us the cartoon series, which was quite enjoyable.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
The last "real" Sonic game was the episodic Sonic 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/sonic%204?os=sonic+4], released back in 2010/12.
Generations in 2011, Lost World in 2013?

Colours and Generations were both pretty good and fairly well received. Lost World was okay, mostly and so was Unleashed. Not particularly good, but enjoyable and fairly polished (or did 2006 just trash my standards?) I dunno about the 3DS Sonic Boom game but the handheld Sonics have all generally been pretty solid.

I'd say there's a good chance this could be decent. Sonic is more inconsistent than exclusively terrible, in my opinion.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

Can't we give up the ghost Sega? Boom is still going to be in peoples minds...

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
"The most important thing is not the fact that the series survived for 25 years, but how many games [were] developed. Our goal [is to] add something new and overcome any potential hardships."

Jesus, he makes Inafune look like JFK. I mean, can... can you actually set the bar any lower?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
As one of five people on the internet who still likes Sonic games, I wonder if this is going to be more Sonic Generations or more Lost World/Boom.

Honestly, they had a really good thing going with the formula they created in Unleashed, and it's heartbreaking to see them ditch it after Generations, which was a great game that could've set the standard for the franchise for the past five years. Instead, they decided they needed to throw everything out and try reinventing the wheel.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
To be optimistic for once, I'm at least happy they didn't rush the game to be out for the 25th Anniversary year. Remember 10 years ago when firing the QA team and rushing out a 15 year milestone game on a brand new console turned out to be a bad idea?

Now, back to the pessimism. So what gimmick game mechanic are the going to force into this game? Every 3D Sonic has had some extra thing or two added to the core mechanic of high speed platforming. They still haven't figured out what makes a 3D Sonic game work (or they have but feel they need to add extra things that weigh down what people play a Sonic game for.)

Look at what the 3d games have done:
Multiple character/gameplay types and serious stories in the Adventure series,
Team formations in Heroes,
Another (though this time very annoying) playable hedgehog character, Mach Speed sections, and back to a "serious" story in Sonic '06,
Werehog night levels in Unleashed,
Wisp powers in Colors,
Oodles of nostalgia in Generations,
And finally the parkour mechanic and not-Mario Galaxy inspired little planetoids (and definitely not Sonic Extreme inspired winding paths between those planetiods /sarcasm) in Lost Word.

It would be great if Sonic Team went with one more Sonic Adventure type game, but in this one, they bring in (but not overuse) the boost mechanic from Rush/Unleashed/Colors, keep Tails in his free running/flying of Adventure 1 and also keep Knuckles' treasure hunting (preferably without SA2's crappy radar limitations). (And maybe make a separate E102-Gamma/mech shooting game at a later date, or have that be a large DLC side mission.) Those three things are just about all the extras I think a 3D Sonic game would need to have enough variety and length for a full game. (I guess they could also split up the characters' stories and make it episodic. That's never hurt a Sonic game before. [small]Mountains of sarcasm there[/small].)

Really, I'll sit back and watch to see how this one plays out. Even as a fan of the old school 2D titles, I haven't been impressed enough to buy any game in the Sonic franchise, since Sonic Advance 1, at even half of the launch price. For now, I'll just enjoy the dreaded Sonic-cycle from outside its influence.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Redlin5 said:

Red Button Entertainment, my dude.
It's been almost two years, I thought this was common knowledge by now. Huh, weird.

-------------------------------

This is cool news. It seems like forever since Sonic Team's last go around. Should be good. They've had a pretty good groove going with the only discrepancy being Lost World's lack of focus. I just hope they don't try to meme it up too much during localization. Aaron Webber is a gahdamn genius, but it'd run its course too hard in a main-stay game.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Redlin5 said:
Sonic Team wasn't involved in either Boom game. Sega shares some of the responsibility for pushing the game(s) out early, but ST itself is in the clear.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The best thing to come from Sonic in over a decade has been the Sonic twitter account.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Just fucking make Sonic Adventure 3. Hell, if it has a decent enough Chao Garden, Id play it. Or just make a stand alone Chao Garden game.

DONT try to be a PS2 platformer like Sonic Boom tried to be.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Well, I still like the only one who liked Sonic Lost World. Maybe if I try to get back to the game and try to beat it, I might see why people hate it. Hell, I might also return to that copy of Sonic Colors I have lying around too.

Just hope that the next game is on the level with that, Colors, and Generations though.

vipLink

May 28, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Iizuka said earlier this week. "The most important thing is not the fact that the series survived for 25 years, but how many games [were] developed. Our goal [is to] add something new and overcome any potential hardships."
My Problem with recent Sonic Releases in a nutshell.
Maybe Quantity shouldn't be something to brag about, if half of them are simply bad.

Just keep it simple and release a good "Sonic"-Game before trying to add something new with every Iteration.
Sonic unleashed had great Sonic levels and was actually pretty damn decent, but half of the game was a shoddy God of War Clone.
And give developers the time to actually finish the game.

But I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2, which apparently was a broken mess, so what do I know.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Generations in 2011
Well, Sonic Generations[footnote]Coincidentally, also an anniversary game[/footnote] was arguably more a 'best of' than an entirely new game. Takings the best parts of both old 2d and new(ish) 3d Sonic, adding some refinement and a new lick of paint.

Which is completely fine, by the way.

Flathole

Sep 5, 2015
I think I understand Sega's strategy. They're basically acting as a court jester, or a modern troll.

I mean, they keep making these games... people will invest money in this piece of entertainment. The entertainment, of course, is not the game itself, but all the drama, the fursuits, and the terrified PR reps trying to sell "a good sonic game, no really!"

There is actually a Sonic game due out this year: Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice for the 3DS, based on the Sonic Boom anime.
Come on. If that isn't grade-A entertainment, I dunno what is.