A petition to black out Steam for an hour

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012

The hell............. This crap has gone on far enough especially since there is a good chance she might of done it to her self and everyone of SJW threatening claims have turned out to be false!

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Well good thing online petitions hardly do anything, especially getting in the way of an entire hour of valve profits.

No petition on the internet is going to get in the way of that many companies profits.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Dark Knifer said:
Well good thing online petitions hardly do anything, especially getting in the way of an entire hour of valve profits.

No petition on the internet is going to get in the way of that many companies profits.
They said that about Depression Quest and Valve....

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
If I'm Steam, I'm thinking about how this will affect me. How much is it going to hurt my profits and good will I've already got and how much will I be getting in return?

With that in mind, I don't see Valve doing it. It's going to hurt profits in the short term as well as the long term because people just aren't going to be happy with a gesture that they don't care for and forcing that on them isn't going to make them care anymore (i.e. teasing the fat kid rarely motivates them to get skinny. Note, I am just using a comparative situation, not saying gamers are fat). Besides, there are some games that do depend on Steam being online and restricting that access is a little unfair to make a point. If you keep me from playing Europa Universalis 4 Iron Man, all you're going to do is make me impatient.

Then, factor in that people might start taking their business elsewhere instead and the good will this draws in might not be enough to make up for that and you don't have a very sound business plan.

People are mad enough at you (not saying they're right to be) without you taking away their games.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
disgruntledgamer said:
Dark Knifer said:

They said that about Depression Quest and Valve....
I think I'm lacking context here. Elaborate?

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
disgruntledgamer said:

The hell............. This crap has gone on far enough especially since there is a good chance she might of done it to her self and everyone of SJW threatening claims have turned out to be false!
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. She did it to herself? Seriously? She called the police and had to evacuate both her own house and her parent's house and she is faking it? Really? We're going down this route?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
For fucks sake.

Let's, for a minute, ignore the fact that people are asking for Valve, a company that has done absolutely nothing wrong, to shut down their business for an hour, for the fault of others.

Let's forget about that potential lawsuit Valve could have leveled at them for intentionally denying game access to their customers (Whether the lawsuit would be successful or not).

Let's gloss over how attempting to strong arm a company into emulating the SOPA outages is not the same as companies volunteering and working together towards a particular goal that is not only right for the public, but for their personal and financial benefit.

Lets just let that all go for a minute and ask one question:

Why does anyone think that because a few dumb, impotent internet hornets stung you, that setting fire to the hornet nest where millions of hornets that have no interest in coming after you live is a good idea?

This phrase may be terrible to say, but I think it applies: Why are you asking for it?

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
simply put treating this like a real thing is dumb, you can find a weird petition for or against most anything if you go looking for it. this publicizes the fringe and is totally unnecessary.

I have tried to keep as insulated from this femfreq nonsense as possible because literally no good has come from discussing it for either side. However I completely agree that making threats of physical violence against a person and driving them from their home is unacceptable. but to say that this kind of threat is in any way representative of gamers or gamers culture is asinine it's like suggesting that crazy holmes kid who shot up that movie theater is representative of comic book culture. The simple fact is the internet is a big 'ol place and to suggest gamers are behind the attacks on sarkeesian when it could just as easily be 4chaners looking for some lulz that we have absolutely ZERO control over that's not fair to anybody.

However, for what it's worth, as someone who thinks very little of anita sarkeesian I am going to say that I am very sorry she's having to endure this, sometimes human beings need to be assholes and it doesn't matter what the justification is it's not ok to treat PEOPLE like this. it has to stop. yes because it's making her more famous but mostly because it's wrong. as much as it's possible to police a massive faceless, nameless group of people using multiple forums and social media, the vast majority of which have never met one another, gaming culture is TRYING to police itself tons of prominent members of the community have stepped forward and said that it's wrong I've said it's wrong before and I will continue to do so. but the fact is the kind of people who do this are doing it for attention weather it's fringe gamers or anita herself the goal seems to be "HEY! look at me!!!!" so even if we could sit them down and have a serious talk about this kind of behavior all we're doing is giving them the attention they want to have.

Blacking out steam won't happen and shouldn't happen. you want gabe to make a statement? that's possible, you want devs to wear armbands in a show of solidarity with chicks in gaming and game development? that's possible, but this would anger and punish those who have no control or connection the problem itself. it's like when the class clown throws a paper airplane in class and the punishment is for the whole class to stay after school for detention. it's not going to accomplish anything but piss people off.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Sounds like the old strategy of punishing all the children for the actions of one child, to make the group resent the one child. I have never sent death threats to any feminist so why should I be punished?

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
disgruntledgamer said:
there is a good chance she might of done it to her self
So if someone receives rape and death threats against themselves and their family they did it to themselves?

I don't really care what Sarkeesian did or didn't do. There is absolutely nothing that she did that could justify threatening her and her family in such a way, and the very notion that having a few relatively minor ethical problems and making an online video series asking for better representation of women would justify such threats against her and her family is absolutely disgusting.

and everyone of SJW threatening claims have turned out to be false!
I won't bother to go into those other ones, but she has posted a screen capture of the threats [https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/504718160902492160/photo/1] with some things (possibly locations) blacked out.

As for the petition, I don't think it is a good idea. This just isn't like SOPA, where the protests attempted to raise awareness by showcasing the fears that the companies had of not being able to keep their websites up. Having a Steam blackout will just confirm, at least in her opponents' minds, the fear that feminists are out to destroy games.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Jim Trailerpark said:
Fuck her, I ain't blacking out anything, because I'm a bad person
There's something about this comment I like and I'm happy it was the first post. I can't put into words why I like this post, but I do.

Sums up my opinions too: Fuck that, I'm a bad person for not caring

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You know, I have to ask if this is really something to get worked up over. The petition doesn't even have 400 signatures. It's a bunch of nobodies. But I just know that at least one person is going to walk away from this thinking less of feminism because he/she is letting stereotypes build the foundation of their opinion.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
xaszatm said:
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. She did it to herself? Seriously? She called the police and had to evacuate both her own house and her parent's house and she is faking it? Really? We're going down this route?
MysticSlayer said:
disgruntledgamer said:
there is a good chance she might of done it to her self
So if someone receives rape and death threats against themselves and their family they did it to themselves?

I don't really care what Sarkeesian did or didn't do. There is absolutely nothing that she did that could justify threatening her and her family in such a way, and the very notion that having a few relatively minor ethical problems and making an online video series asking for better representation of women would justify such threats against her and her family is absolutely disgusting.

and everyone of SJW threatening claims have turned out to be false!
I won't bother to go into those other ones, but she has posted a screen capture of the threats [https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/504718160902492160/photo/1] with some things (possibly locations) blacked out.

As for the petition, I don't think it is a good idea. This just isn't like SOPA, where the protests attempted to raise awareness by showcasing the fears that the companies had of not being able to keep their websites up. Having a Steam blackout will just confirm, at least in her opponents' minds, the fear that feminists are out to destroy games.

The only thing she's scared of is drowning in cash........

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
I really, really wished that people would of just let her fade into obscurity...

Either way, Valve likely wouldn't do that even if it does reach a high number of signatures, as that would be a very bad business decision and would make many of their customers angry, customers that didn't even have anything to do with this whole situation...

Sea Sponge

Aug 28, 2014
The whole punishing everyone to get at the few doesn't quite work.

I've got no interest in Anita or her followers. I ignore them and they ignore me, it's a happy arrangement.

Leave my already limited gaming time alone.

Blacking out Steam isn't going to make me angry at the people making the threats. The people asking for the black out will have pissed me off though.

Pretty sure annoying more people isn't the best way to go about things.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
You know, there are better ways to support a cause than punishing innocent bystanders. This is not like the SOPA blackouts, where the sites were showing their users what would happen if that bill was passed. This is going to just make more enemies for the woman. Remember the jelly doughnut scene from Full Metal Jacket and the resulting blanket party afterwards? Things do not go well when you threaten or punish those not responsible.

This event reminds me of when my theater just got Tropic Thunder and received a few emails demanding the film to never be shown again, in retaliation for that mentally retarded gag in the movie. We weren't going to stop showing the movie. (Hell, it was one of the few keeping us in the black during the summer drought; you aren't fighting money, in that case.) Valve sure isn't knocking out its support for its customers for even an hour just because a few hundred people signed some petition. It won't even solve anything.

Maybe instead of being extremists, Sarkeesian and her followers, could try getting donations and support from game companies to help victims of harassment and maybe help stop the sexism in some games. It sure looks good for PR. I know my theater would usually give out ticket vouchers to local charities that could be raffled off at their events. Though, that might be hard to do after that whole debacle about her getting tons of money to buy all those games for research, regardless of what really happened.