A plea for Warcraft: let us roll back our characters

OblivionWolf

Nov 11, 2008
I am not sure how many people here enjoy playing WoW, or MMOs in general. I enjoyed much of the time I spent playing WoW. But I have not been playing for quite some time. I have sampled a range of other MMOs. While I really enjoyed Eve Online. Most of the other games just don't seem to have the right touch to be really great games like WoW has the potential to be.

I don't have a paid account with blizzard right now so I can't post this on their forums. I am hoping this idea leaks over to them somehow and maybe someday this will be implemented in some way. I would go back to Warcraft if I was able to roll back my character in some way that made sense, and made more quality content available at the level of challenge for which it was designed.

I am sorry this is so long. But I am really seeking to address people who may be able to use this idea and carry it forward, rather then the masses of uninterested bystanders.

It seems odd on the surface that when players enter the game they are more or less encouraged to try their best to fast forward through the content and disregard everything the game has to offer except what is necessary to level. It is like going to see a movie and fast forwarding through most of the movie to get to the last few scenes. Just skipping the movie scenes may actually be more enjoyable but there is no skip button only a fast forward, so people are stuck grinding through the lower levels for what can be quite a while. Some parts of that grind may be said to be enjoyable but I think it is safe to say that often that grind becomes boring and unpleasant. Then players seem to arrive at the end and it is almost like at that movie if once we got to the last few scenes someone kept playing the last scene over and over. People get tired and bored of it and wait desperately for even just a little new snippet. This continues until a whole new section is added to the game at which point the majority of people again fast forward themselves to the new ending for a repeat performance.

While this may be fun and exciting way to play a game for a great many people. There are a lot of people that would enjoy a chance to delve into some of the rest of the game content without having to reroll every time we want to see Blackfathom Deeps again at level, or be challenged again by the ominous vastness of Blackrock Depths. To add to that, it would be great for some guilds and friends playing Warcraft to be able to challenge themselves together in an instance or raid before end game. All those long hours spent leveling may not feel quite so lonely (soloing 70-80 levels of an MMO?) if once in a while the guild or friends could unwind the clocks a bit to go run something fun and interesting with their lower level friends. This would be a great way to see more of the amazing content spread all around the world, and a chance for new and old players to gain confidance and skill instancing and even raiding in all types of content.

Part of the reason the rush to end game takes place I think is that is the only level at which you are sure to meet up with your friends level wise. During leveling sometimes if you are lucky a friend or two will be around your level for a few instances worth of content but then something usually happens to that and you are stuck again soloing your way up, until you rejoin everyone at end game. Giving players the choice to retroactively meet up with their friends would be an amazing way to help build a more robust gaming community throughout the entire game, not just at the end.

There are going to be many players that do not understand this idea and why someone would want it. Many players, I think, enjoy getting the biggest baddest newest gear. That high end gear seems to be the crux of the game for them. That is a fine way to play, and if you enjoy that I say stick with it. Just please realize that there are many players (perhaps not as many, but still quite a few) who enjoy simply playing through the creative and imaginative content, and for whom the rewards may not be as concrete as a phat purple drop, but may be something as silly as some knickknack they found while wandering around some forgotten instance, or just the memories of having faced amazing challenges with their friends.

If you would give players the ability for some kind of comprehensive roll back system I would come back to the game, and I would be bringing some friends. How all the details work out are fairly immaterial so long as the basic concept gets implemented at some point. That being said I have a few ideas for some of the details. These ideas regarding details should not be taken by smaller minds to constitute the backbone of the idea. But rather it should be kept clear in everyone's mind that the overall big idea here is that many of us would like some way to roll back our characters so that we could enjoy game content with our lower level friends, or just lower level content that we may have missed. (Who hasn't thought it would be cool to play through Deadmines, at level, as a Deathknight just once?)

Detail 1: Scale back or roll back?

There would be many ways to roll back or scale back characters. It may be worth giving players a choice if that is possible. But maybe it would just be basically one or the other. This choice would need to be made for several separate areas and could have a different answer in each of the areas. The areas I see would be Talents, Gear, and Spells. A scale back in each of these may involve less fuss and be more seamlessly applied then a full roll back. Any area a scale back was applied to would simply need a scale applied to it and very simply (from the players point of view) all their stats from gear, power of spells, and benefits from talents would be simply scaled back to make them more appropriate for the level they have chosen to roll back to. On the other hand, in a full roll back for each of those areas, players may have to deal with more fuss but overall I think the experience may be more authentic. Rolling back each of these areas would simply mean having the person chose the talents to lose to take him back to the number he would have had at that level, to make the person bank his high level gear and go find a few pieces from AH or off some dead critters to put on over his underwear, and for spells simply deactivate any spells that wouldn't have been available at that level and roll the others back to their appropriate level. I think giving the players the opportunity to chose to roll back or scale back these things would be great. But I guess any mixture of the two that works would still be cool.

Detail 2: Experience Rewards

Now obviously people rolling back and playing through old content may get a chance to earn some retro reputation with various factions. But what about experience? I think what you wouldn't want is too much reward here, so that it is seen to be easier to roll back to level, but some small rewards could still be in order. Perhaps just giving the experience that lower level mobs already give would be scaled well enough to work. It would take an awful lot of level 10 murlocks to budge a level 79s experience bar much. The other way to do it would be to reward rested experience instead of actual experience. That way people rolling back aren't actually "progressing" until they go back to their original level and begin to use up some of the rested experience they built up. You could reward rested experience based on the mobs original experience rewards for the level. So again a level 10 murlock would reward a lot less rested experience then a level 30 or 70 murlock would.

Detail 3: Retro Gear (Certified Gear)

One of the complaints that I think everyone hears more then once, has something to do with the scarcity of options concerning how your character looks in gear with good stats on it. The gear one earns in dungeons, raids, or pvp at higher levels can often blend in a little too well with what the guy next to you earned. There is a slight loss of individuality there. While more varied gear sets help this somewhat, I think there would be a way to introduce some retro gear into the mix, to give players a wide range of options on the appearance of their characters. To do this would simply require each instance to be rated based on what level is most appropriate for the instance. For instance Deadmines may have a level rating somewhere between 15 and 18. Please don't start an argument about what the level would actually be. This is just for the sake of example. For example, lets say it was decided that Deadmines Certified level was 17. Then when a group went in that had no player over 17 (though some of the players may have had to roll themselves back to 17 and may actually be level 80) they would have the option to certify gear that dropped inside. What could then happen if perhaps Smites Hammer dropped and one of the level 80s who rolled themselves back to 17 rolls for it and wins the drop. Now that item is soulbound and certified to level 80. If it was a level 65 who rolled themselves back the item would be certified to level 65. What this would mean is that there would be some process in the game, either a NPC or maybe something for scribes or enchanters, so that stats from high level gear could be infused into the certified gear. The level of gear that could be infused would be based on the true level of the player when he obtained the certified gear. In another example, lets say someone liked the way one of the tier sets from classic or BC content looks. They could set out to earn the old gear certified to 80. They could then take the stats from high end gear and have them applied (or infused) to the Certified gear. Then people could really go crazy individualizing their characters and I think it would be a lot of fun to see what people came up with. You may expect to see a few armor sets from scarlet monastery come back, or classic raiders gear, or even Kara gear people liked. The gear could be set so it gave the original stats when the player scaled themselves back again, and then give the higher stats when the player returned to their true level. This way guilds or players could be working on raiding sets from Classic, BC, or current end game content.

Again, I want to say these 3 details are marginal in importance. They are simply some tidbits to flesh out how some of the main idea could gain traction with a wide range of people. Of course all of this should be completely optional. And of course the rewards gained from roll back fun should never equal the rewards that can be obtained by progressing at true level. But the big idea is to give people the option to roll back characters temporarily for any reason they may chose. I think giving people this option would greatly increase the overall satisfaction with the game that many players are currently lacking. I think it would help tremendously with the in-game community. Please consider this. I want to come back, to a great game with a lot of great content. But I really don't want to be involved in the virtual rat race as it exists in the game currently. While, I know, some people enjoy that style of play, opening up options to people with different styles of play would be a very healthy thing for the World of Warcraft.

Sincerely
Styzx, Egan, N Co

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Hey dude, i read your whole post (yes, the whole thing :p) and I am in the same boat as you, to a certain extent.

My favourite part of WoW was always the leveling, i had more fun running Deadmines and SM than i ever did running MC and the likes. I never really played through TBC when i came out but i did return for Wrath for a short period of time and no dungeon that i ran through in either of these games really could compare with the likes of 1-60 dungeons.

Your roll back idea is flawed imo, but better than nothing. It would never be implemented as the game would become imbalanced, there would be too many dungeons to do (I found it hard to find groups for certain dungeons in the new expansion, think about how hard it would be to find a group if there are a hundred odd dungeons to choose from?), and many people would be less likely to try new content etc. With more people playing older content there would be less people playing the new dungeons, slowing down the progress of the game as fewer groups go into these dungeons. People don't really go through dungeons for the fun of it anymore they go through them in hope of new gear drops, and in regards to having a balanced game the lower level dungeons items would not be as good as those from say Nax and resultantly few would bother.

Im going to be honest, i thought that the "Heroic" dungeon thing was just what you just described and i was looking forward to it. When it wasnt i was annoyed; i love playing through those dungeons and reliving the times of old when WoW was actually fun, but those days are long gone.

I have heard that they have been planning to open up some 1-60 servers, but i heard this months ago and is probably pure rumour and speculation. However, if they did open such servers i would join them in an instant. The real problem with WoW is that the whole 1-60 game has basically been disregarded which is a major shame as it is by far the best part of the game. People are missing out on what made WoW great in the first place and it has basically been lost :( Blizzard need to find a way to make sure that all that game doesnt go to waste.

OblivionWolf

Nov 11, 2008
I can see where you are coming from regarding opening up a lot of choices for people. But for me and the friends that I had making the choice of which instance to run was always based on what we thought would be a fun time not what gear would drop. We seemed often to be in the minority but I know a lot of those kinds of players exist.

Giving people a choice of which instance to do I think would actually help progression. I played a lot of BC content. One of the things that happened is people fast forwarding through all the classic content arrived at outlands and did not know how to instance. There were people in karazahn still learning basic instance techniques. I think there is a sort of progression that happens through the instances. Being able to take a step back with people and giving them an option to try out more simple pulls in something like Shadowfang Keep rather then just throwing them through the ringer in Shadow Labs I think would actually help out a lot of guilds with their progression. As people are given a wider range of choices, then they may be able to chose instances more appropriate to their skill level not just their game level, and actually work through a progression in such a way that they can actually move on to current content in a better way.

What basically ended up happening with a bunch of players like myself is we would end up with 10 alts at different levels trying to stay at level with someone else or a group who were around the same level so we could progress through the instances and see more content. Giving people the option of actually taking a step back would really relive a lot of the hassle and stress that trying to do this creates.

If I could pay someone to run a Bliz approved server and implement some changes in a lot of different ways, I would. Lacking that I hope to convince Blizzard that giving people choices and opening up more opportunities for challenging content.

I can't imagine what a new player now must feel like stepping into warcraft. "Seriously, I have to work through 70 - 80 levels to start enjoying what this game is all about?" And don't say the current state of people re-rolling and joining pugs and getting runs from high levels is as fun as it could be... cause we all know that isn't true.

boyitsme95

Feb 26, 2008
I want to say something insightful here, but this is something that could be good or could be bad. It's just that human nature is the main variable here and we humans are unpredictable sometimes. Overall though, I say yea.

OblivionWolf

Nov 11, 2008
gameking218 said:
... human nature is the main variable here and we humans are unpredictable sometimes...
Yah for real lol. If we could just fix all the other people the game would be fine. :)

That is seariously the hardest thing about MMOs imo. I have seen though that certain types of design tends to attract certain types of people. The typical person playing Eve is usually far different (in some good and some bad ways) to the typical WoW player.

OblivionWolf

Nov 11, 2008
LimaBravo said:
Runes of Magic interestingly does World Of Warcraft right and its utterly free :D

2 classes, no proffession limits, no crafter limits.
I just scanned through the front page of their web site. It looks interesting. I will probably give it a shot sometime next week. What is their source of income for the game?

shinja

Apr 29, 2009
I don't really know what to think of the original post, like it is creative but I personally don't think it would be very plausible. Rolling back characters to a lower level seems like it would be hard to implement correctly. My idea was to do something with the caverns of time or possibly just heroic versions of old content. I mean the gear can be 5 man appropriate which means there is no real need to scale anything, they could put a few skins on different items so that characters could customize a little with it, and then you could do them with your friends with all of the skills that you have at the maximum level. I know its not the exact same as rolling at level 20 to stockades or whatnot, but really, with the way that the leveling is in the game now, just roll a new character, you can get to level 20 in under a day of play time. I have very fond memories of running deadmines at low levels but I think that it would be far more interesting to be able to go back at a higher level and have the mobs be that level so you get the same feel but with a new spin. Again, just my opinion, thought i would share.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Honestly, I agree with you for the most part. The whole endgame obsession confuses me, since there's really very few places to go at that point...and most seem content to ignore all but one or two of those. I'm having a blast just leveling up and exploring.

As for the rollback thing...I'm not sure. I'm not a programmer or designer, and WoW technically isn't my main game so I'm not sure I can comment. I'll note that City of Heroes has something at least vaguely similar in the Ouroboros system (higher level characters can replay low-level content), but I'm not sure how that would be implemented in an entirely different system.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
Fredrick2003 said:
Having played Warcraft for 14 years I can safely say this has nothing to do with Warcraft, nice trollin'.
Trolling? Gee, I thought the guy made some pretty good sense. Seems a shame to waste all that juicy content just because we've levelled past it.

PS. He was talking about World of Warcraft :) but I see what you were going for, sort of.

OblivionWolf

Nov 11, 2008
shinja said:
Rolling back characters to a lower level seems like it would be hard to implement correctly. you can get to level 20 in under a day of play time.
Ya I do realize it would take a lot of work potentially. But think about it this way, all that content that essentially is wasted in the current system gets reused so the effort put into making the system work pays the game back very well in terms of expanding content, so to speak. While it is very possible to do some of the lower instances on alts(and indeed I have many many times), it is much more difficult to find groups for some of the later instances (Mara, ST, etc) in fact many people don't even know many of those instances exist. I can only imagine that many of the BC instances will share a similar fate.

I actually got this idea while out trying other MMOs. EQ2 had a mentoring system that allowed higher level players to scale back to match the lower level player. I didn't like the actual game near as much as WoW, but I thought the community of the game did well for having that option there. In the short time I played my trial accnt there I had much more positive interaction with higher level players then I ever remember having in all my time in WoW.

chase211

Sep 22, 2008
Fredrick2003 said:
xmetatr0nx said:
So why not start this thread on say a WoW community? Or write blizzard a letter, im sure they would be more than willing to listen.
Blizzard doesn't listen anymore, that small company we know and love died when World of Warcraft came out.

Greedy bastards.
The idea has been posted on the blizzard forums several times, this is not the first time. Some people really preferred vanilla wow and I can understand wanting to return to that (though the class imbalances were insaine) however I would imagine the problem blizzard sees with the idea is that it would just be a fad, a small group of people would create toons on a level 60 server, level to 60, start raiding, hit endgame...and hit a wall. It might take a while to get there, but I doubt months after a guild gets endgame content on farm that members will still have any desire to log on.

As for blizzard not listening anymore, they have never been a developer that is openly responsive to the community, this is not a new thing and I think it is a big part of why their games have been so succesfull.

I do play wow, and have since vanilla, I am still enjoying the new content, and playing without the achivment system seems lame now.

shinja

Apr 29, 2009
this thread is probably dead, but i just wanted to add quickly that they are implementing soon an option to pay 10g to stop experience gain on your low level characters, which has spun a few "vanilla guilds" that will stop at 60, turn exp off and raid MC, BWL and so on. thought it had some relevence to this and wanted to drop it in here in case you all didnt know

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
That's all well and good, except it spits in the face of what they want to do with the game.

Blizzard are constantly saying they want to push forward with the game, to develop new high-end stuff and keep the game rolling in an ever continuous quest to make it better.

Them giving you the option to roll back your character is basically an admittance on their part that their current end-game content isn't good enough. That in itself is a terrible business strategy, nevermind their own ideals and wishes for the direction the game takes.

The reason they want you to get to 60/70/80 as fast as possible is simple: Levelling in WoW sucks. There's no doubt about it. Before WotLK there was about four separate styles of quest and the only difference was the mobs, items and fluff writing in the quest text. Wrath of the Lich King added a few new twists to the levelling scene (Vehicles being the primary one) but nevertheless, once you've done a quest you've done it.

Blizzard won't admit it outright, but their levelling system sucks and there are games which have done it better.

all that content that essentially is wasted in the current system
It's not wasted, it served its purpose when you levelled through it. Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, Serpentshrine Cavern, Tempest Keep, Sunwell Plateau and Mount Hyjal are not "wasted" because people have done them, they have served their purpose and they're not important anymore. What is important is pushing on into the future.

Nostalgia may grip you more than once during this but I'll make this very clear: You will never have that same feeling you did when levelling your first character, when raiding your first raid and when destroying your first opponent in PvP. Never. It's not a fault of the game, it's just an aspect of humanity.

This way guilds or players could be working on raiding sets from Classic, BC, or current end game content.
Additional Instances cannot be launched.