A potentially Suicidal 9 year old girl was handcuffed and pepper sprayed by Police Officers who were called in to assist.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
A sad step up from the article I posted where the children were just handcuffed and put face down on hot asphalt.

A 9-year-old girl was handcuffed and pepper sprayed by police officers responding to a report of "family trouble" in Rochester, New York, on Wednesday, according to Rochester Deputy Police Chief Andre Anderson.
Two body camera videos of the incident released by the police department on Sunday show officers restraining the child, putting her in handcuffs and attempting to get her inside the back of a police vehicle as she is heard repeatedly crying and calling for her father.
Officers are then seen pepper spraying the girl after she doesn't follow commands to put her feet inside the car.
The girl was transported to Rochester General Hospital where she was later released, Anderson said.
Officers were called to a home on the afternoon of January 29 for a report of "family trouble," Anderson said Sunday.
The officers were told the girl was "suicidal" and that she had "indicated that she wanted to kill herself and she wanted to kill her mom," the deputy chief explained.
The girl tried to flee from officers, Anderson said, and video released by police shows an officer chase her and attempt to provide assistance.
Afterward, he said, her mother arrived and the body camera video shows the two arguing.
Anderson said officers then decided to remove the child from the situation and transport her to an area hospital.
But the girl refused to get inside a police vehicle, "thrashed around," and kicked an officer, knocking his body camera around, according to Anderson.
"It didn't appear as if she was resisting the officers, she was trying not to be restrained to go to the hospital," Anderson said. "As the officers made numerous attempts to try to get her in the car, an officer sprayed the young child with OC spray to get her in the car."
At one point, one officer says, "You're acting like a child," to which the girl can be heard responding, "I am a child!"
Gotta say, feeling Marchy all of a sudden.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
There's a lot of layers that are each despicable in their own way about this. You can't just undo the kind of damage this can cause the kid, especially while in an already more vulnerable state than usual. And we all have some awareness of how terrible access to mental health already is in the US. Another bully chasing their power trip at any human cost yet again. Apparently this is not even out of character for police and judges in America too, was even hearing about from a revealing podcast last night (revealing for an outsider anyway);

This shit is also exactly what "defund the police" is about. Badly vetted, overpayed, untrained bullies are not who you want to be dealing with delicate, non-violent domestic matters, the matters that just so happen to make up most of their calls.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Since when was physical pain not the best way to teach a child discipline?

Honestly, no wonder society's going to the dogs when people complain about pepper-spraying a child into line.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
A comment on this really justifies why I'm done with this country.

Wansom sou
4 hours ago
A handcuffed 9 yo got treated worse than the vast majority of people looting the capitol
Yeah. How about that?

When the best defense to a situation is "It wasn't done out of racial hatred. We just didn't want to respect the understandable fears of a 9 year old child who was handcuffed and was being taken away from her home", you must understand that the problem is so intrinsic to the federation that it might be woven around their DNA.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
There are about 700,000 cops in the US which handle millions of incidents per year.
The low, low percentage of bad cases get highlighted and raised to national awareness by the media.
And then people think that .001% is representative of the whole.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
You also forgot to include that there is rarely meaningful consequences if an offender happens to carry a badge.
Then focus on that. "X% of offenders getting away with bad things is too high!" is a much stronger argument than "0.00X% of bad things happening is too high!"

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Houseman here demonstrating his signature empathy.
Didn't he once claim in the election thread that he 'just started to pay attention to politics' and 'sided with Trump because it seems like he was being unjustly treated'?

By the dripping amount of sarcasm from your post, I have to wonder where is that same need to 'just start paying attention' and 'siding with the outnumbered, outgunned, weaker 9 year old girl who was handcuffed and pepper sprayed in the face for being a scared 9 year old girl taken away from her home'.

I mean, fairness, right? Nonpartisanship. That's coming soon. Has to be.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Then focus on that. "X% of offenders getting away with bad things is too high!" is a much stronger argument than "0.00X% of bad things happening is too high!"
You must be pretty oblivious if you don't understand that's a core point in ACAB/ Defund the police.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
A comment on this really justifies why I'm done with this country.
I know you have your heart set on Canada but don't look at how they have dealt with first nations people, it will just depress you.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There are about 700,000 cops in the US which handle millions of incidents per year.
The low, low percentage of bad cases get highlighted and raised to national awareness by the media.
The probable instances of such things are probably rather low, but when they happen and the office isn't suitably punished they make all cops look bad and like they are just bullies with badges. Cops HAVE to be held to a higher standard because of the kind of power we give them. They cannot be allowed to abuse the trust we put in them. Because, like it or not, we need police and police need to be better.

Reactions: BrawlMan

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I know you have your heart set on Canada but don't look at how they have dealt with first nations people, it will just depress you.
I have. I also know how they have treated the LGBTQ and Blacks as well

I don't think Canada is a magical place. My plan is that after I get set up and make some money as a pilot over there, I'm actually going to try to get some land and retreat into the wilderness.

Get my own beater plane and use it to fly to and from work.

I'm trying to remove myself as much away from humanity as I can, while knowing I don't have the practical skills to completely live off of the land as of yet. But once I get to that skill level? Society Be Damned.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
So what is this particular case representative of?

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
First thing I thought of when I saw this was that if any other adult pepper-sprayed a restrained child they’d get charged with abuse. Personally, every officer there should face that charge as they all heard the threat and said nothing before the act occurred or after. They clearly all supported it. That’s why this isn’t fixable just by punishing this one officer (which won’t happen anyway). Every officer on that force would’ve been fine with this.

I have family that deals with “troubled” teens a lot. I’ve had to directly interact with the “problem” parts of my community as part of previous jobs due to a major lack of infrastructure. Not one of us carries pepper spray let alone uses it on people let alone some restrained let alone a child.

Cops are utterly unwilling to be held to the standards of any other human being. They’re a gang of criminals running a massive protection racket. That’s why I’m an abolitionist and will remain one. I don’t negotiate with terrorists.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I have to wonder where is that same need to 'just start paying attention' and 'siding with the outnumbered, outgunned, weaker 9 year old girl who was handcuffed and pepper sprayed in the face for being a scared 9 year old girl taken away from her home'.
The police are the underdogs here.
They're constantly under attack from billion dollar companies, including but not limited to, the mainstream media.

Cops HAVE to be held to a higher standard because of the kind of power we give them.
I'm in complete agreement.

So there's only ever been 7 'bad cases'?
I said millions of incidents per year, not 700,000 incidents per year.