A professional, objective, apolitical future for The Escapist...

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Cecilo said:
I will only say this to you lot, the whole lot of you, look exactly like Gamergaters when it first started, digging through people's twitter feed to find something incriminating, accusing them of things. The only difference is, you feel you are morally correct and therefore have no shame in doing so, you feel you are correct so what does it matter if you go down to your oppositions level, hey I'm right, they are wrong fuck em.

If I had any doubts that you are the new moral panic like that of the Christians in the 90s it was erased when there was a Crusade to get that Mozilla founder to step down, it's nice to see you all following the trend though. Have fun being the man you used to fight against.
Well, first off, 'digging' implies that I even had to look very hard.

As others have said, I don't think denying trans-people the right to their own identities under the juvenile guise of 'Ain't no Liberal Correctness gonna tell this lone soldier what to do!' is on another level to the complete non-starters that, somehow, got GamerGate started.

Finally, for the umpteenth and last time, I am not calling for this guy to be fired before his work has even begun. I don't actually see anyone in this thread doing that. I see people rightly indignant at the things he's said, promising to no longer financially support the site if this is going to mean such sentiment will be supported by the site. However, if somebody were to actually call on him to be fired at this point, I would disagree with them. If he does something that shames the site, on the site, then he should be fired. Until then, I won't suggest it, I will simply question, as I have been doing, how the logic of hiring him matches up with statement previously made by higher-ups about their new 'apolitical' direction.

Skatologist said:
On something I found from Mr. Morse- He had written this and it is safe to say, he seems to be one of the many people who loathe "political correctness" along with speaking of Saul Alinsky, the Frankfurt School, and many other talking points from social conservatives I find and it is safe for me to say I am in complete opposition to this viewpoint of Mr. Morse.
He quotes Carlin to support his viewpoint? Carlin?!

I can't imagine George Carlin having anything other than fucking disdain for this guy. That quote was in fact Carlin accusing the term 'Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder', of sheltering people from the true horrors of war, and this guy is trying to use it to say how it's perfectly okay for him to call trans-people delusional?

I fucking despair...
Well to your original point: I have no clue what they were thinking in hiring the guy, after stating they want to be apolitical. I mean do you know if he has any gaming and geek culture chops at all?

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Well to your original point: I have no clue what they were thinking in hiring the guy, after stating they want to be apolitical. I mean do you know if he has any gaming and geek culture chops at all?
He seems to have an interest in gaming, and knowledge of political journalism. I don't think he has any history of gaming journalism, or anything along those lines.

I've said before that I'm still somewhat optimistic to find out what he plans to bring to the site, but I can't deny that this whole things seems a rather bizarre move. Surely the staff must have known how this would be received ...

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
runic knight said:
I live in a society where 2/3 still don't think evolution is real in spite of it being scientifically testable and principles depended on for medicine and food production. I fear progress with regards to gender identification will take time. Still, I will take your word about the legal aspects and see that as a positive. You have my sympathy with regard to being a pariah though, such a reaction is not easy. As for rationality, I have to wonder if the best way to address this and many other problems wouldn't be an encouragement of rationality itself sometimes. While no one is perfect, I think critical thought and debate is far too undervalued and as a result, it slows the acceptance of new progress reliant on rationality to be accepted. Forcing it to take generations to grown in acceptance what can be rationally demonstrated true or untrue today.
I'm only a pariah if someone finds out my birth sex... Well speaking bluntly what it really takes is just some thought, and some understanding of the other person's position. But it seems like the vast majority of people just want to dig their heels in and remain ignorant, and to my mind remaining wilfully ignorant is stupidity.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
You make some good points on face value... Still you're shouting someone down for having an opinion as much as the pro-trans here are trying to shoot Morse down stupid things he said on twitter. A key difference is that a lot of people have qualms with the Escapist giving Morse a new platform where he might spew this kind of thing, while paying him for it.
I think you hit the nail on the head with this. And in a manner far more diplomatic than I could ever manage. Honestly, I'm not sure why people feel the need to comment of transgender issues who are outside the transgender community to begin with lest it is in direct reference to law and public order. What's the issue? Trans men are men, trans women are women, gender fluid or neutral people are fluid/neutral of gender. There's not a whole lot that someone who isn't trans* is going to meaningfully bring to the discussion of this beyond arguing for or against a person having the right to determine the qualities by which they identify. The issues of being trans lie entirely with the community who hates them for showing this desire to be treated as equals.

Trans people know who they are ... society at large has no fucking clue. So you might want to listen to what the individual has to say about the nature of self first, and take it as canon.

Very small number of places where we don't directly contribute to someone who believes we're better off locked away in a mental health facility and chained to what they consider 'good medicine'. Which ironically means no medicine, and would mean a whole lot less trans people still kicking. Out of sight, out of mind... out of earshot.

Tomwa

Oct 13, 2008
I'll say this: I don't care what "Gender" you are, I care about your sex. Why? Because that's the part thats A) Essential for reproducing and starting a Family and B) The Physical component of who you are. I agree with morse entirely, if you don't want to identify as a different gender than the default fine, hope you have a happy life but you can't expect us all to ignore the fact that your sex is something completely different.

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
PaulH said:
Sorry if I got antsy, kind of hard when everyday someone questions your existence. I just think it's bullshit that someone who says; 'I believe in liberty. Freedom of expression. Unless you're trans* then your identity is what I say it is, and fuck you that's why. You're a nut case for deluding yourself in the first case. XY = boy ... Wait you're not really XY? Still a boy, regardless ... fucking nutcase.'

It's basically the 'goto' excuse for arseholes and bigots who feel they can tell others that it's okay for them to disregard someone's existence. All the while feign like they are victims when someone calls out their bigotry and their broken platform for dictating the identity of others has nothing to do with liberty and freedom of expression. Pathetic souls, one and all.
It's all good. :)

Fsyco said:
They also like to dress up opinions that defend the status quo as "rebellious" and "edgy".
Yeah, much like one that lives here in my home state. You may have heard of him: Ted Nugent. A man with his head so far up his own ass he's passed through his own bowel twice.

The Escapist wants to go this route? Fine. But I'm calling it: Fox News: Video Game Edition.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Foehunter82 said:
We'll agree to disagree, then. I do, however, think you're falling into the same trap as those picking sides in that debate.
HOW??? how am I? there aren't any "sides" to it because religion and scientific method are [i/]completly[/i] different things, people are not obligated to give consideration to something that is NOT scientific when comparing it to something that is

I said before that being a christian and believing in evolution are not mutually exclusive (of coarse not there are a tons of different interpretations of the Bible after all)

but the second someone tries to discredit Evolution based on their own (willful or not) misunderstading of the science and the fact it conflicts with their interpretation of a particular religion then its not a debate...its a waste of everyones time

basically "the golden median" is not applicable to every situation

Jake Martinez said:
Also, conflating a couple of obtuse tweets by Brandon to this families tragedy and their daughters suicide just looks... well, opportunistic on the surface and frankly, as if you are so desperate to win an argument by emotional appeal that you're happy to relish in someoneelses misfortune, including the death of this girl. After all, it was her suicide that allowed you to make such an emotional appeal in the first place.
the point I was trying to make was that the exact same crap this guy is saying is the what makes life for trans-people so hard

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Tomwa said:
I'll say this: I don't care what "Gender" you are, I care about your sex. Why? Because that's the part thats A) Essential for reproducing and starting a Family and B) The Physical component of who you are. I agree with morse entirely, if you don't want to identify as a different gender than the default fine, hope you have a happy life but you can't expect us all to ignore the fact that your sex is something completely different.
Why?

What impact does it have on your life to acknowledge their gender, even if you disagree with it? Why do people feel the need to be so spitefully and petty that they would rather belittle someone than just use a different fucking pronoun?

Like, how often does it come up? Is it a constant daily struggle for you to refer to people as the gender they identify with? Have you ever been confronted with a trans person in real life? On the rare occasion that you do, would it kill you to be a decent, considerate fucking person?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
runic knight said:
Repeat myself again about the key difference his tweets show is a perspective on gender identity rather then bigotry towards transpeople?
MOCKING IS A FORM OF BIGOTRY

Subject A

[spoiler/][/spoiler]

Tomwa said:
actually yes....people can

because their genitals and ability to have children is generally none of your buisness

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Vault101 said:
HOW??? how am I? there aren't any "sides" to it because religion and scientific method are [i/]completly[/i] different things, people are not obligated to give consideration to something that is NOT scientific when comparing it to something that is

I said before that being a christian and believing in evolution are not mutually exclusive (of coarse not there are a tons of different interpretations of the Bible after all)

but the second someone tries to discredit Evolution based on their own (willful or not) misunderstading of the science and the fact it conflicts with their interpretation of a particular religion then its not a debate...its a waste of everyones time

basically "the golden median" is not applicable to every situation
The only problem I have is that the scientific method is not mutually exclusive to darwinism either.

Lamarckism, for example.

Newtonian physics. Another being an example. All of them largely disproven by Scientific method, but we could say the same for religion. I kind of agree ... religion is kind of a dead end if one takes it beyond spirituality. We are, and will still be until some massive jump of collective consciousness, at that point on the evolutionary scale where the Monty Hall problem still perplexes people on a fundamental level, for example.

Humans did not evolve to be strictly logical or rational creatures.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Vault101 said:
runic knight said:
Repeat myself again about the key difference his tweets show is a perspective on gender identity rather then bigotry towards transpeople?
MOCKING IS A FORM OF BIGOTRY

Subject A

[spoiler/][/spoiler]
Mocking can be a form of bigotry, yes. I don't quite get your point with this though unless you wish to argue that mockery is always a form of bigotry, or that this case is specifically bigotry, neither of which you supported well here. The cartoon was interesting though.

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
Vault101 said:
I'll agree that no one is obligated to give consideration to any religion.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Foehunter82 said:
PaulH said:
Sorry if I got antsy, kind of hard when everyday someone questions your existence. I just think it's bullshit that someone who says; 'I believe in liberty. Freedom of expression. Unless you're trans* then your identity is what I say it is, and fuck you that's why. You're a nut case for deluding yourself in the first case. XY = boy ... Wait you're not really XY? Still a boy, regardless ... fucking nutcase.'

It's basically the 'goto' excuse for arseholes and bigots who feel they can tell others that it's okay for them to disregard someone's existence. All the while feign like they are victims when someone calls out their bigotry and their broken platform for dictating the identity of others has nothing to do with liberty and freedom of expression. Pathetic souls, one and all.
It's all good. :)

Fsyco said:
They also like to dress up opinions that defend the status quo as "rebellious" and "edgy".
Yeah, much like one that lives here in my home state. You may have heard of him: Ted Nugent. A man with his head so far up his own ass he's passed through his own bowel twice.

The Escapist wants to go this route? Fine. But I'm calling it: Fox News: Video Game Edition.
Oh hell no, Fox News has more integrity than that, at least they're honest about their political stance, and they do tend to get people who actually work in specific fields to speak on related subjects.

Tomwa said:
You know that is so blatantly ignorant, I am actually shocked. As a trans-person my self I have never been defined by my plumbing, know why? Because it does not define my inner identity, it does not define how I identify with others, or how I relate to others.. If we met in person you wouldn't care about my sex, because people generally don't walk around naked, so you'd probably never know. Also not everyone wants to reproduce, or start a family, and some would rather adopt instead of reproduce. People are not defined by their physical components or lack there of....

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
Welp, that's one content creator I'm not going to give even a second of my time. I want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt in that he's ignorant...and maybe he is...but I highly doubt it.

Also, I absolutely agree with the sentiment of why they hired him if they wanted to remove politics from the site. Just...how? How do you miss this?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
Why?

What impact does it have on your life to acknowledge their gender, even if you disagree with it? Why do people feel the need to be so spitefully and petty that they would rather belittle someone than just use a different fucking pronoun?

Like, how often does it come up? Is it a constant daily struggle for you to refer to people as the gender they identify with? Have you ever been confronted with a trans person in real life? On the rare occasion that you do, would it kill you to be a decent, considerate fucking person?
Because they're pathetic individuals that have not enough personal beauty or complexity to recognize other humans as little more than walking piles of flesh spurting out babies/baby gravy? Asking for reason and magnanimity from such a person is like asking why a shallow pond cannot share the deep blues and greens of the ocean.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
PaulH said:
Colour Scientist said:
Why?

Because they're pathetic individuals that have not enough personal beauty or complexity to recognize other humans as little more than walking piles of flesh spurting out babies/baby gravy? Asking for reason and magnanimity from such a person is like asking why a shallow pond cannot share the deep blues and greens of the ocean.
It's mostly because people like that refuse to comprehend that there are people different from them, and people who behave differently than they're used to. One of the biggest things is they're used to a very basic rule set, especially when it comes to identifying other people. When someone behaves differently to what they're used to, it scares the living hell out of them.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Are we forgetting the astounding left wing bigotry of Bob Chipman? His hate filled rants against anyone and everyone who disagreed with him on a wide range of issues? His rants where he called people "subhuman", and pined for the day when all the right wingers are finally going to be swept from power so the glorious era of progress can dawn?

Because I'd hate to think there was some sort of double standard where people can do whatever the hell they want so long as they have the "right" opinions.