A Question for all you Global Warming skeptics

Feb 13, 2008
TheRealCJ said:
But my question is thus: You may not believe it's truly happening, but why are you so against preventative measures to stop it happening in the future? Surely you'd agree that to stop it from happening 100 years from now, which is entirely plausible, there should be some preventative measures taken now.
First of all: Climate Change (It's not been Global Warming for sometime now) has been happening since we were first around. It's the Planet's natural reaction to a growing bio-resource (us).

Secondly, most of the proposed measures are either ineffective or actually accelerate the problem.

Thirdly, it's a terribly convenient umbrella which to hide all the other things going wrong; like Human Rights Abuses, Global Criminalisation and Country Leaders making deals over human resources.

Fourthly, McDonalds et. al. knocks over MOUNTAINS to get to its resources. I don't think that using a plastic bag is going to offset that.

It's building a door for the stable after the horse is already in the knackers yard.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
Global Warming is happening- but not that largely due to human intervention.

The Earth goes through cycles, it gets hot, then it gets cold, then it gets hot, then it gets... I think you get the idea.

What do you think the Ice Age was? "Ugh those darn cave men drivin their hummers about and ruining out planet!"

I doubt we are actually hurting the planet that badly, (at least in that area, extinction of animals on the other hand...) but even with that said I have no problem trying to lower emissions, its just the wise thing to do.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
TheRealCJ said:
But my question is thus: You may not believe it's truly happening, but why are you so against preventative measures to stop it happening in the future? Surely you'd agree that to stop it from happening 100 years from now, which is entirely plausible, there should be some preventative measures taken now.
First of all: Climate Change (It's not been Global Warming for sometime now) has been happening since we were first around. It's the Planet's natural reaction to a growing bio-resource (us).

Secondly, most of the proposed measures are either ineffective or actually accelerate the problem.

Thirdly, it's a terribly convenient umbrella which to hide all the other things going wrong; like Human Rights Abuses, Global Criminalisation and Country Leaders making deals over human resources.

Fourthly, McDonalds et. al. knocks over MOUNTAINS to get to its resources. I don't think that using a plastic bag is going to offset that.

It's building a door for the stable after the horse is already in the knackers yard.
I'm not talking about stopgap measures like reusable bags, I'm talking about a change to the very mindset that humanity (well, modern society anyway) has had for a long time.

We need to stop thinking "I am man, everything else can go hang unless it benefits me directly and immediately".

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I believe that the Earth is going through a climate change, but I don't think me bringing my own bag to the store to not use a plastic one is going to change a damn thing. I'm all for being environmentally conscious, but not on the terms of preventing global warming. The Earth will do what it wants, nothing we do can change that.

Also, it's the middle of April and I just got hit with the biggest blizzard of the year. I'm a bit skeptical that the planet is dangerously heating up at all.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Sorry 100 years isn't even a micro second to the world in it's billions of years.
A downed 7000 year old redwood rings were examined and the world's weather was shown to get warm, cold, wet, dry and it fluctuates.

Basically, scientists who don't cry the sky is falling lose their jobs.

In the 70's it was global cooling, Time Magazine had glaciers in New York bay, then global warming, now "climate change" when it cools.

Which means hot in the summer, cold in the winter...

That's not the planet in peril that called "Seasons"

So you know I'm all against waste, pollution. But the warming/cooling scam has to end. If you point out their full of it they hide behind you hate the planet and wanna see everyone dead.

But honestly... if you look at the entire "Green company" equation it has nothing to do with being eco friendly, but more donating money to the people who label you green as "clean up money" and clean up they do...if you don't pay my extortion money we give you a bad rap in the public eye...really?

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
TestECull said:
TheRealCJ said:
Believe me, I'm no greenpeace nut. I spend most of my free time either playing videogames or destroying bushland in a big diesel fourbie.
Ahaha never said you were a yuppie either...though I did rant about them somewhat.

My problem is all the people who think along the lines of "Global warming = Myth, so there is absolutely no reason to research renewable fuels, environmentally sound alternatives to current systems, or any forward thinking whatsoever"
I may believe Global Warming is a load of yuppie bullshit but I'm all for new fuels.

For example, diesels will burn just about anything. Including their own oil. So fuel them off plant oils, of which plenty is just discarded. Gasoline engines, meanwhile, will run happily on H2 gas, so all you have to do is pop an H2 canister where the fuel tank used to be, a new H2-safe fuel system, re-map the ECU, and you're done. On the power generation front, nuclear and hydroelectric plants produce no gaseous emissions whatsoever. They're as clean as we have from the 'feasible' bucket, though that doesn't stop people from yammering on about pipe-dreams.

Oh, and for the record, the Prius is a terrible car. Perhaps in the US where everything is petrol, but here, a decently-tuned diesel will result in less emissions a much higher mileage.
Oh they're terrible cars here, too. My 25 year old Ford truck is greener than a Prius could ever hope to be. It doesn't pollute Canada(nickel for the batteries), and it doesn't pollute the atmosphere(All the times it's sent 'round the world en-route to becoming a battery)(And I do keep it tuned properly and with a fitted catalyst, the only thing coming out the back is harmless plant food. Aka CO2), nor does my Ford pollute when that battery is fried(Recycling a Prius battery makes WAY more pollution than recycling a bog standard 500cca lead acid one). On top of that it's absolutely hideous, soft, weak-kneed, has no redeeming soul or passion, can't handle snow and ice properly(Half the time they won't move at all, lol cold battery), can't even handle dry roads, and are driven by the most obnoxious, smug motherfuckers to ever grace American highways.

In short, Prius, you're outdone at your own game by your arch nemesis. Check mate, Toyota!
I honestly think it's a shame that Americans have yet to adopt diesel as a more mainstream fuel.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Rosetta said:
All of them happened before we were here and all of them happened due to massive climate change.
Yes, because NATURAL climate change is cyclical.

Humans do not affect the climate.
Yes, we do.

The Earth will cool and warm long, long after we go extinct and the cycle of life and death will be unaffected. The hippies are wrong. The science is right.
You are the hippie, you do not understood the science.

Humans affect the natural amplitude of climate change, thus making change happen faster then it would naturally. Obviously.

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
Sure, global warming is real.. A more fitting name would be "solar system warming" since its the whole solar system that is warming up, even melting some of the ice moons of.. Jupiter as far as i remember..

So to sum it up, global warming is real, but WE ARE NOT THE REASON! Is a solar cycle.. It heats up, it cools down, heats up, cools down etc etc..

And since its a cycle that we havent got anything to do with, i pity the fools that thinks we can actually make a difference..

Sure, dont chug beer-cans and bubblegum paper around in nature.. Its a pretty good rule.. But dont think it will cool down the entire solar system...

commodorejohn

Oct 16, 2009
I'm not so much a "skeptic" in the unfortunately-common sense of "I fervently disbelieve in global warming, period." Where I fall on this is, I recognize that it might be a thing, but I'm seeing way more of a. Visionaries With Plans trying to use the fear of "oh my God you guys we're going to wreck the planet" to sell people on their plans (or products, or services) and b. bleeding hearts who want to loudly proclaim how Truly Concerned they are so that everybody will applaud them for their Social Consciousness and they can rest secure in their smug superiority over the masses than I am c. people who seem genuinely concerned about the issue and have actually considered plans of action other than "buy everything that labels itself as 'green' and vote for anybody who supports emissions caps on cars" by, say, weighing their probably effectiveness and practicality. If I meet someone who has something intelligent to say about the issue and isn't obviously trying to scare me into doing whatever they say or lord their Eco-Righteousness over me, I might give them a listen, but that has yet to happen.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
In my opinion "Global Warming", currently renamed Climate Change post-Climategate, is just one of those silly political stances people take. Kind of like abortion, prayer in school, gun control, etc.

Is it possible? Absolutely possible. I don't think anyone has an objective view on it anymore though. It's entirely devolved into doomsayers and naysayers.

Even assuming all the leaked emails referencing things like re-adjusting charts because they don't show "the right info" and that "nature trick" were all actually legit(http://bishophill.squarespace.com/blog/2009/11/20/climate-cuttings-33.html), you still run into the issue of these guys intentionally manipulating how the scientific community views anyone who disagrees with them, not because of the method they come to their conclusions, but just because they disagree.

Feb 13, 2008
HankMan said:
Seriously though plastic bags are part of the problem root. It's the paper ones that are environmentally friendly.
Are you sure on that?

100% sure?

Or is that just what the media are telling you?

What's the global costing between a plastic and a paper bag?

Or are you just going on what's been said?

That's the bit I want to underline. How can you be sure this isn't an elaborate smokescreen?
TheRealCJ said:
We need to stop thinking "I am man, everything else can go hang unless it benefits me directly and immediately".
Guy tried that about 2000 years ago. Got nailed to a tree for it.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
TheRealCJ said:

I've got people here in Australia, prominent people, people in Government, saying things along the lines of "Global Warming has not been proven as fact, so just keep right on doing exactly what you're doing now, because it's not causing immediate and noticeable damage."

That seems unnecessarily reckless to me. After all, doesn't the old idiom read "A stitch in time saves nine"?
My thoughts on the matter are that anything that human beings contribute towards global warming is negligible in the grand scheme of things. Every volcano that erupts spews more greenhouse gases than the human race has thrown skyward since history. And so many other fluctuations have a much larger effect than anything humans can do. When Betelgeuse's supernova hits earth (within 100 years), we'll essentially have two suns for two weeks, increasing the earth's temperature by more than what the earth has seen for probably tens of thousands of years.

Though I do still think that it's important to be conscious of our planet's well-being. Even if human beings have only a small impact, anything counts so I DO think that having some kind of care doesn't hurt. I don't drive a hybrid but I also don't start my car and let it idle for half an hour before I get into it.

Matty_J-

Feb 15, 2011
Here, in Scotland, we just had one of the coldest winters in quite awhile. I would almost welcome Global Warming. But we aren't causing Global Warming and even if we were what can we do about it? China is one of the biggest CO2 producers in the world today. Do you think they give a shit about their 'Carbon footprint'?