A question for PC Gamers. Why all the hostility towards console gamers/gaming?

beez

May 21, 2013
MorganL4 said:
What it comes down to is this: At the beginning of last generation (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii) There was a huge influx in people claiming "PC gaming is dead.", or PC gaming is dying." Because console sales, and consequently console game sales were through the roof, and the only PC game selling exceptionally well was World of Warcraft (Also Steam was not yet a big thing). NOW about 7 years later the consoles are old, and don't have the same power as a proper gaming rig does. AS SUCH the PC gamers from 7 years ago who were told "Your medium is dying" are now in a position of gaming superiority (in regards to game quality possibilities) and as such are lashing out at the people who mocked them.... Its basically this the jocks picked on the geeks back in HS.... NOW the geeks have the high paying jobs, and the jocks are driving taxi cabs, so the geeks are gloating......... Its the oldest story in the book, its just the video game version. The cycle will continue when the next generation hits.
At the start of the last generation, consoles were a lot faster than PCs, in every regard. PCs outperformed them pretty soon tho. This new season is different. The new x86 consoles are already like the Wii when compared to, for example, an 600$ pc.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Amir Kondori said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I own both a PC and consoles and I see them both as equals, I don't see one as the weakest of shits and one as the superior master race (like how a certain country saw themselves), I see them as two entities, nothing more nothing less.
Woah, someone just Godwin'd in a PC versus consoles threat. I do believe he just compared PC gamers to the third Reich.
You do realise there were more than just one country that saw themselves as a master race back the right?.

Also nice contribution to a thread which added nothing of logical value other than to point a small misconception.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
freedash22 said:
I cannot agree with you more in wanting to see things change, I would hope over the course of the next decade that the gaming industry itself were to change for the good of us gamers.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
MorganL4 said:
it's rather sad that this still happens as a regular cycle throughout most mediums, I personally never thought PC gaming would ever die but I also didn't want any part of a war like we do with consoles vs PC.

The one's who were mocked in being told their medium was dying took such words a little too close to ehart and because of that they clung to those words for 7-8 years in bitter resentment, now they lash out at people not even involved with what happened all those years ago because they still clung on to bitter emotions and now use them as a weapon against the console owners (an example I have seen all too well on Gamespot's system wars forum threads with PC users constantly shitting on consoles).

We really need to calm down and not take such words to heart, otherwise the cycle will begin anew with console owners being told their medium is dying (bitter hatred would build over many) and then "if" the tables were to turn the same would happen to PC owners once more.

No one likes being told their medium is shit and dying so why should we hold that grudge and attack another?, fighting fire with fire is not always the way to solve such issues.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Was I just compared to nazi Germany?

Lictor Face said:
The OP asked why PC Gamers act like elitists. I answered the question. I wasn't rubbing anything in anyone's face. I was stating a fact. A fact that is to me, obvious, yet others like to try to ignore it, this is why my post may have come across as arrogant. I can assure you, that was not the intention.

Do I think I'm a better person because I play PC instead of console? No

Do I think I play on a superior gaming system? Absolutely.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
miketehmage said:
First of all, GTA 5 WILL release for PC 6 months from now.

Mark my words.

Secondly, the PC is just better in every way. I'm sorry, but it is.
They are more powerful,
They are more customisable,
They are capable of more than just running games (I know consoles are too now but they still can't do what a PC can do.)
The controls are great.(Don't like keyboard and mouse? Plug in a pad. You can do that!)

This is the most important point for me coming right up, so listen up console fans.

*They CAN be cheaper than consoles.*

Yes, that's right, your console isn't cheaper than my PC, stop using that as an argument against PC, because it is outright wrong.

The only real argument I guess you could make against PC gaming is that consoles are easier to use and more convenient.

But I'm simply not willing to give up all the benefits of PC gaming for convenience.

EDIT: Btw I own both a 360 and PS3 aswell
That's really cool and all for a story but regardless of what you say about your PC, not everyone will always agree on it being the greatest thing to ever happen nor want to invest in it, everyone has their own choice and decisions to make for what they buy and it's why some buy a PC and some that buy a console.

trying to say it's simply the best/better/superior/greatest/outstanding/marvelous/unbeatable does not mean everyone on this planet will suddenly trash their consoles and acquire immediate knowledge of how to build their PC.

I own both a PC and consoles and I see them both as equals, I don't see one as the weakest of shits and one as the superior master race (like how a certain country saw themselves), I see them as two entities, nothing more nothing less.

TomWiley said:
Also known as victimizing oneself.

No the PC's do not feel threatened by consoles seeing as how most of this thread is nothing but "PC'S ARE THE SUPERIOR TECH, CONSOLES SUCK HUR DURF" mentality.

PC's are used to create console games so I can't see your logic being a form of "truth", especially when this thread shows the exact opposite of this.
I'm not even sure how I should reply to you there. Firstly, the fact that console games are developed on PC doesn't mean anything.

Also, if the entire thread consists of PC players trying to seem superior, doesn't that prove my point regarding them feeling threatened rather than disprove it?

miker00lz

Sep 22, 2013
I've noticed that just about everywhere, the real nasty hostility actually comes from the console gamers aimed at the PC gamers. It does go both ways though. Personally, I'm a PC guy because I am a real techie. I enjoy building systems, and I do a lot of programming too. I am really good with a keyboard, so I naturally play games on the PC instead of my 360 whenever possible.

I'm not rich, but you don't need to be for high-quality PC gaming. You don't need to buy a whole rig all at once. I'm using an 8-core FX-8150 overclocked to 4.4 GHz w/ 8 GB RAM that I bought over a year ago. A couple months ago I upgraded the video card from a 9800 GT to an HD 7790 for about $180. That old 9800 GT was from an even OLDER computer, and it still played new games fine if you don't obsess over maximum resolution. See, it can easily be a sliding thing with the hardware. No need to shell out a grand all at once.

The cost of the hardware inside my current PC altogether if about $500, a bit less. So, it's around the price of a PS4 and it is considerably more powerful... especially in the CPU!

No hate from me towards console people. Gaming is gaming. The one thing that's hard to argue against though, unless you've never used a mouse in your life, is that FPS and TPS games are much more enjoyable and precise when playing on a PC. You really need an auto-aim crutch in most cases if you're using a controller. GTA V can't come out on the PC soon enough for me.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I think we understand eachother, I've been exhausted from work, kept focusing on the wrong stuff.
However Your response here.
Yes and no.
Mid tower? Sure, but its objectively still larger than a console, hence less convenient for some people.
ITX Chasis cost [Realise I put ATX in previous post, meant ITX, the ones that are actually small]; $100
From there, the remaining $400 you have to spend to reach even the more expensive Xbone will get you an 'Entry' level rig according to Falcon Guide. That is the 4th lowest level. That is not relatively powerful.
Even then, that's ignoring heat management, which with the small sized ITX cases could become an issue like the X360 had. It'd be recommendable to include some form of decent cooling, but that costs more money too.
To be relative to a next gen console it would need to reach the 'superb' level of Falcon guide. That's 5 levels higher, and closer to $1000.
Granted this is just taking off the Falcon guide, but its a fairly good guide. You could build better cheaper, but that's a lot of extra work, which counts as another pro for the consoles.
I would take some issue with, and that is that if you build a pc, even a mid size tower, hell even a big one, if you use steam, or other digital download services to get your games, GOG for instance, you can have however many games you want, and don't have piles of disks and shit to store somewhere, so overall, much much less space.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
DoomyMcDoom said:
I would take some issue with, and that is that if you build a pc, even a mid size tower, hell even a big one, if you use steam, or other digital download services to get your games, GOG for instance, you can have however many games you want, and don't have piles of disks and shit to store somewhere, so overall, much much less space.
To be fair you can also do what a couple of my friends had done, as had my family back in the PS2 days when we actually used consoles, and buy a box and a set of 1000 clear CD things that are literally the size of the CD, put them all in there, and condense a massive library into a shoebox.
There's also the matter of the few games you presently can't acquire via digital download, and the Internet useage required to download those you can. All depends on what you've got as to what you can do.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I like retro consoles & primarily PC game. Possibly, the hostility is sort of a reaction to the annoyance of being left out...Even if the PC version is truly better, it never makes it's way into console debates, even though it is in fact a nonspecific 3ed party console, & both magazines & publishers tend to exclude PC ports or suggest PC-only titles in their magazines (especially annoying since most of the PC gaming magazines went under when the global economy tanked). Naturally the PC port exclusion claims say it's due to concerns over piracy, but we all know about emulators & ROMS.

Most of the arguments I have read in console vs PC actually seem to focus on peripherals, making it more of a joypad vs keyboard; you can play a joypad on your PC, but PC-only gamers tend to find joysticks & joypads incredibly uncomfortable & awkward to use & prefer the ease of a mouse & surplus of hotkeys.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Not PC Gamer but to answer the OP to be one you effectively have to become so technically skilled you're virtually ready for A+ certification. The customizable and necessary technical operations and tweaking which have a wider applicability. Then there is the overlap and modding. Many pc gamers have the rigs they due because they are student or professional computer engineers and this leads them to make the most out of their device PLUS they can do more.

And then there is the tech treadmill. While "holding back" is an overstatement for the longest time standards were joke. MS lured lots of properties or companies that were primarily or exclusively PC (the fps in particular) and taking something like that experience only modified (stripped down) for consoles and controllers. I've never met a pc gamer that didn't feel some substantial frustration with nonmouse controls. they spent years learning those skills only to be voided by people who'd put incomplete product out for them to make work and then jumped ship to consoles. There have been some nasty examples to franchises of console ports. Also many of the "new" features of the generation were already a part of PC gaming period and got to the masses for ill effects (good ones but the ill ones stand out and the good didn't benefit the pc gamers but the nonpc gamers) lock on need for official servers with no dedication, the rise of the xbl brat, and the change in acceptable quality for stats. This while PCs became more powerful and cheaper to the point a PS3 was more expensive than similar computer. But they were getting less support.
Its why they swear by their lord and god Newell and his religion Steam.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Reise said:
Remember, PC gamers have to put up with a lot of crap.

For one, PC gamers are blamed for the majority of piracy (even though some data suggests that it's far more prevalent for consoles). So when developers use piracy as an excuse for X, they flat out blame PC gamers, ie when it was said that GoW2 would not be brought to PC because GoW1 was 'pirated too much'.

PC gamers get shitty ports. It's a fact. Sometimes, developers can make really good ports. Many, if not most, of the times, they do not. Have you ever played a game with iffy controls? Did it irritate you? Now imagine that building up over dozens or hundreds of games. All because developers didn't think to take advantage of the fact that PC players have a mouse and keyboard and not a controller. Example? Skyrim's damn lists and not a single freaking hot key. FONV had hotkeys, but nope, not Skyrim.

PC gamers do not like the growing control that's starting as a direct result of console gaming. Console gamers can buy and trade used copies of games. That makes publishers mad. Publishers like money and then start creating draconian control measures. PC gamers start to suffer as a byproduct as this: the Steams and Origins (especially Origin which was malware when it launched and probably still is). Not only that, key PC features are being gutted, for example, such as the complete disappearance of LAN to 'encourage' the use of 'features' such as GFWL or Battle.net.

It's very frustrating being a PC gamer nowadays. As far as I'm aware, Crysis is still the most graphically advanced game on the market because it's the only one that bothered to push on the PC, then the sequels were picked up with consoles in mind and it was a step back in terms of graphics because it had to perform on much lower quality equipment.

And PC gamers know that if there just so happens to have a PC-only or PC-focused game that comes out, and it does well, it will be picked up by a publisher which will then have the developers create any sequels with the consoles in mind, as with the aforementioned Crysis. Another example would be Dragon Age: Origins--designed for the PC with the PC in mind, after EA acquired BioWare, its launch was delayed six months for the purposes (and despite what the devs and EA said) of porting it over to the consoles--with a crappy ad campaign. And the game ended up running horribly unoptimized for the consoles anyway.

Frankly, it's not the consoles or the console gamers that the PC gamers despise. It's what the publishers and some developers THINK are console gamers.
Quoted for an example that I agree with with less derisive I'd give to the groups self importance.

Suncatcher

May 11, 2011
I don't generally dislike console gamers. I don't like consoles, because they combine counterintuitive controls with idiotic price-fixing, overpriced and underpowered hardware, and painful DRM. I don't like devs who design purely to consoles, leaving anyone who doesn't shell out another 400$ to deal with shit controls and menus. I don't like the fact that they've made it nigh-impossible to make cross-platform compatible games, so I can't play multiplayer games with console gamers. Because, as I said, I don't dislike console gamers themselves, just pretty much everything around them. So I'll continue playing with my mouse and keyboard, on the same machine I use for work and internet, and downloading third-party mods to fix the controls.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Darmani said:
Not PC Gamer but to answer the OP to be one you effectively have to become so technically skilled you're virtually ready for A+ certification. The customizable and necessary technical operations and tweaking which have a wider applicability. Then there is the overlap and modding. Many pc gamers have the rigs they due because they are student or professional computer engineers and this leads them to make the most out of their device PLUS they can do more.
The last gaming rig I bought the parts for, was easier to assemble than a $10 lego set, and took like 10 minutes, with the only real "difficult" task being, typing in the goddamn serial number for my OS.
There's only a few pieces, and they only fit in ONE WAY IN ONE PLACE, and nowadays most motherboards are clearly labeled, and colour coded.

Whole thing cost $400 canadian including shipping and shipping insurance too, greatest thing is, the only reason I even built it is that I left my 4 year old $600 rig at home on the other side of the coutry when I moved, and I needed a new pc.

Only thing I may need to put into it later when games start catching up more due to the new console generation, is a newer $80 graphics card.

Shit's cheap, easy to assemble, games are cheaper, you can use xbox 360 controllers and I assume later Xbone controllers, all sorts of shit.

By the way, I'm a grade 9 highschool drop out who works at a gas station, if I can build and game on a pc, I figure a person'd hafta have a clinically diagnosed disability to have a better excuse to not be able to do it than me.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
the most annoying thing i find is that a lot of games squeezed onto consoles look and operate way better when configured for pc, to the point where it does everybody a disservice when console gamers are forced to deal with the issues of a constrained game, and pc gamers need to tweak the game's performance themselves to, at best, take full advantage of the hardware, and at worst, correct glaring development faults, many of which are easily overcome simply by giving the game the capability of utilizing the full pc power

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
I am an avid PC gamer and have zero against consoles, their are just some idiotic "PC elitists" that hate consoles for whatever reason...

Any comments you see regarding hate from PC to consoles are either jokes or made by such idiots

DestinyCall

May 5, 2009
There are console gamers who hate PC gamers. There are playstation gamers who hate xbox gamers. There are PC gamers who hate console gamers. There are individuals in each group convinced they are the best. It's not a PC-specific problem by any means.

But there are also plenty of people who own a gaming pc and one or both consoles (and even a wii!). Not everyone has that kind of money to spend on this hobby, but they certainly exist.

Personally, I think it often comes down to which platform the individual is most familiar and comfortable with. I grew up with a PC. As a kid, I had little exposure to console gaming. Now, I've played all the major consoles and even prefer them for some games, since PC ports can be dodgy. But given a choice, I'll usually go for PC version first. It's not so much that I think PC is superior, but I am more comfortable with it and so I enjoy the experience more. There are other pros and cons I could list for each platform, but that's the main reason.

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
bobleponge said:
Can't really say I have hostility towards console gamers. That kinda makes me hate myself for having consoles and PC. Though I do have a preference to PC not for any of the reasons listed above. I just set up my laptop, install one of the providers(steam, GOG) and download what I want. I like it for the 'lastability' and that I can emulate old games I may want to play without digging out the old console from the basement, finding all the wires, and praying to Great Cthulhu that it still works.

That being said though, the only time I have ever gotten into a real fight over the whole console v. pc issue, I mean really got into one was when one or both sides just over generalized its fan base to offensive levels.