A question for the male drinkers out there

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I'm in your threads, crashin' them with my ladyness.

Nah, I was gonna say, you do hear about G&T being an old lady's drink, but I can't say I know any older ladies who drink it. My mum drinks whiskey, my nan's a dry cider fan.
It's probably something TV just decided. (Like how they almost exclusively advertise WKD to men, but I've only ever met women who drink it. Including me, it tastes like slushpuppy).

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Odgical said:
I also drink appletinis on occasion.
Ah, JD would be proud...

OT: Why care?! You like what you like and it does the job.

Personally, I'm OK with a good G&T (provided it's not Gordon's!) now and then, but I tend to drink brandy (which is also sometimes dubbed a wussy drink).

Triangulon

Nov 20, 2009
Gin gin gin! My flatmate and I have been supporting the noble gin industry for many years. I can't think of many spirits which offer such a variety between brands. Our bar is currently stocked with six different gins plus several different batches of sloe gin. Have to say, Hendricks is my favourite.

Melon Hunter said:
These people are fools and should be labelled such! Myself, aged 19, and many of my young male peers enjoy a good G&T! In fact, I have a bottle of Tanqueray and a bottle of Hendrick's Gin on my desk, just waiting for their tonic partners.

Just make sure you use aforementioned gins, or Gordon's or Bombay Sapphire. Anything less isn't worth your time.
I'll have you know that Plymouth is also a worthy member of the gin community!

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
I can't stand the stuff myself, I'm not a fan of tonic water and gin is disgusting to my tongue.

In regards to your friends comments, a G&T is the stereotyped drink of depressed middle-aged housewives. So, not really camp but a woman's drink nonetheless.

And finally, as the obvious conclusion, you should drink it if you like it. I checked your profile and you are British, so having the piss taken out of you should be a norm.

When your mate harps on about the G&T; take the piss out of his compensatory quiff, or some other silly thing like that. Then the grand piss taking equilibrium will be restored and Britain can keep working.

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
I only drink beer and cider, don't like spirits at all, but I have a friend who drinks G&Ts, I've never said anything to him about it. To each their own, if it tastes good, it tastes good. :)

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Here's my advice when it comes to issues of masculinity: don't give a damn. If you don't care about masculinity, you're free to do whatever the hell you feel like without having to worry if you look "manly" or not. Or in your case, free to drink gin & tonic.

Zeetchmen

Aug 17, 2009
G/T shows that you are classy, my grandfather drinks it and he kicked ass in 'Nam.

I wouldn't even think of calling him girly

Saltychipmunk

Jan 17, 2012
Country
USA
jkvoller said:
I am a 18 year old male and drink gin and tonic

My question is simple. Are there any other young (18/21 - 39) males who drink and enjoy a gin and tonic out there, because my friends keep saying that a G&T is camp and exclusively for old women.
drink what you want do dude. there is no rule anywhere saying MEN have to drink hard liquor and beer.

hell i am 21 and i love sweet wines...... and jack and coke and just soda in general.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I had it once. I was all like:

Good shit if you ask me, very refreshing on a hot summer's day. Dammit now I want one...

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
If it makes you feel better that's my 50 year old mother's favourite drink.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
I love Gin & Tonics, they're practically my drink of choice (namely because I enjoy Gin more than any other spirit). Also, Gin & Tonics are a great Summer drink as they're quite refreshing and simple to make.

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
When I was 14 I got nauseatingly drunk for the first time on gin. Eleven years on and I haven't been able to touch it since. If you like G&T though good for you.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
It's my mother's drink of choice, closely followed by white wine with ice cubes in. ;)

But seriously, drink what you like. It really doesn't matter.

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
I'm a beer man myself, but I do have a friend who says Gin and Tonic is his favorite drink. He is, I believe, 24 (few years younger than me).

He does however sort of feel that way and laughs at the fact that he drinks an "old person drink," so you're not alone, but your friends may still be right.

I'll say the obvious thing here though and mention that it doesn't really matter :p drink what you enjoy and don't worry too much about it. Women will probably find it endearing, and if you like older women all the better!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Bit of an odd choice for someone our age, but... eh. It's not like you're drinking WKD (for which your friends would have to beat you to within in an inch of you life).

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Jonluw said:
Gin and tonic isn't for women!
It isn't, right?
I guess I might have to start drinking mint juleps, then.

But really. Don't care about what those people say. G&T is a nice drink. Certainly better than White russian.
Whoah, whoah easy there. It is a great drink (alcoholic iced cofee really). It even has The Dude's seal of aproval.

OT: Drink what you want, I think it tastes fine and taking the piss is something is no reason to stop. Yes, gin is a cliched, depressed middle age woman drink but it doesn't change you enjoy it. Hell one of my best friends favourite drinks is the Fruit Tingle... and I call him a metrosexual every time he orders one, doesnt change the fact they taste alright. If you want something truly awesome get a slushy machine and put jack daniels and coke in it, a bar I go to has that and it rules.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
usmarine4160 said:
Gin the most foul alcohol out there. I'd rather just drink Pabst Blue Ribbon than gin
I'll not have a heathen slander the good name of my holy triumphant, the PBR. Take it back sir, or I shall attend you on the green sir.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Gin has a nickname is the UK and that is 'Mother's Ruin' as it was cheap and drunk in such quantities in the 18th century that people would sell their own kids to get more. A good article about it's history is here http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/MothersRuin.htm

That stigma has stuck with Gin to a large extent and so people who drink it still get occasionally mocked. Kind of like how drinkers of Stella Artois get a ribbing because the lager has the nickname of 'wife beater.'

SuccessAndBiscuts

Nov 9, 2009
Its tricky, I would say generally drink as you like but you have to accept stick some stick for flouting social norms. I've tried and found enjoyable varieties of most kinds of drink, but I've found it's all about where you are and who you are with.

Its also worth realizing that not all beer tastes like piss water, I'm a big fan of real ales for good reason and you can find some really interesting and unusual tastes in that market.